What if D3 was a D2 upgrade, not a WoW clone

Imagine D3 as a
A improved graphic version of D2
2x the amount of unique items of D2
2x the runewords
New Acts the continues after baal
Game lobby, create your own game
Choose what build you like
Freedom to choose where to farm with all acts and way point opened up.
Reply Quote
There would be far more people playing, less people complaining, and the only complaints we'd see are "give us something new"
Reply Quote
That's what all the D2 players wanted. What we got was a screwed up mess.
Reply Quote
03/18/2013 04:20 PMPosted by Deadlysynz
There would be far more people playing, less people complaining, and the only complaints we'd see are "give us something new"

Now you mention it, I've never been to a D2 forum, too busy farming and playing with all my friends
Reply Quote
If it were basically a reskinned HD version of D2 with new stuff I would not have bought it. If I wanted to experience D2 I would play that game period. I would not waste money on a reskinned HD version of D2. It would not show any love for the series. In fact it would show laziness and a lack of creativity.
Reply Quote
It's obvious which game had a genius designing the features & which did'nt,

It's obvious which had a team developing that loved this label & appreciated it's history, & which did'nt.

It's obvious which game has loads of depth & replayability & which has little.

It's obvious which game had millions of players ready to buy a sequel, & which has players bored to tears.
Wanting to love this game is something millions of us wer ready to do, all you can do is sigh & hope they learn sooner than later.

That read like a poem dude, epic!
Reply Quote
03/18/2013 09:39 PMPosted by ShadowAegis
If it were basically a reskinned HD version of D2 with new stuff I would not have bought it. If I wanted to experience D2 I would play that game period. I would not waste money on a reskinned HD version of D2. It would not show any love for the series. In fact it would show laziness and a lack of creativity.

"if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Blizzard however tried fixing a lot of stuff that wasn't broken to start with... And thus we have D3.

Heck, look at CoD for example; every new release is mostly just a re-hash of the last with some newer features and whatnot, and people go crazy over it (going back to my original statement, if it ain't broke, don't fix it). This is the one situation where I wish Blizzard would of done something similar...
Reply Quote
03/18/2013 09:39 PMPosted by ShadowAegis

Thats what the D3 devs were aiming for, though they spend alot of times on graphic improvements ,creating new act, and game play. They missed what made diablo a good game, which was in-depth item and in depth skill design
Reply Quote
03/18/2013 09:45 PMPosted by Espionage724

"if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Blizzard however tried fixing a lot of stuff that wasn't broken to start with... And thus we have D3.

Heck, look at CoD for example; every new release is mostly just a re-hash of the last with some newer features and whatnot, and people go crazy over it (going back to my original statement, if it ain't broke, don't fix it). This is the one situation where I wish Blizzard would of done something similar...

I dont think devs know whats wrong with the game, all the things they trying to fix arent getting to the core of the problem
Reply Quote
03/18/2013 09:45 PMPosted by Espionage724

The CoD franchise is actually on the decline. Rereleasing the exact same game/assets and hoping people don't notice eventually takes it's toll. Even the hardcore CoD players I know are getting to the point where they are only playing because their friends are. Of course, most of those guys are doing the same thing. End result is you have a lot of people who once they actually communicate instead of shoot each other, end up quitting.

However, they do a great job marketing the game. They provide the proper expectations, and people aren't surprised by the game when they finally start playing.

Unfortunately, the same thing can't be said about D3. That's where the problem lies. A lot of things are very similar to the original Diablo games, but many of the changes were what drove a lot of the old players away. You can't hype a game up like D3 was as part of a series and make such significant changes. It just WON'T be accepted.

There's a lot of great stuff about D3. But by changing so many little things we ended up with a completely different game that just happens to share the same lore as Diablo.

What happened here was a failure to understand what the fans wanted, and the failure to research. Pure and simple. Take a look at another long standing franchise that came out around the same time as Diablo... Fallout. The first and second were great. Tactics and Brotherhood of Steel were hated by a huge majority of Fallout's fanbase because of the changes they made. To be fair, Tactics didn't change how the game worked very much... but they did cut out the core of the RPG aspect.

Moral of the story: Devs, learn from your mistakes. More than that though, strive to learn from the mistakes of others as well. Those who do not remember history, are doomed to repeat it.
Reply Quote
Wait, if D3 were a WoW clone, at least it would be fun, interesting, with intriguing PvP, and present some gameplay depth.
Reply Quote
03/18/2013 11:20 PMPosted by Steveg
Wait, if D3 were a WoW clone, at least it would be fun, interesting, with intriguing PvP, and present some gameplay depth.

A failed WoW clone, mutated, a missing ear here, toes grown on the head.
Reply Quote
03/18/2013 04:24 PMPosted by Starico
Now you mention it, I've never been to a D2 forum, too busy farming and playing with all my friends

My memory differs from you, I was busy botting/trading/duping.
Reply Quote
What if folks who didn't like D3 stopped playing and posting troll bait posts such as this one and moved on with life.....

GASP!!! what a concept!!

Seriously D3 is fun for some of us and we enjoy playing it, get over it or get out. It really is just that simple...
Reply Quote

Look Call of Duty can get away with rehashing because it is about war in the real world. The first few CoD's were about WW2. Then they started getting more up to date and breaking away from WW2. Then the last few have the war in the year 2025. So it is okay for them to get away with rehashing old content over and over again. But for me not this game.

Where in my post did you miss the point where I said that I would not have bought a reskinned HD version of D2. Did I say how many would've bought a reskinned HD version of D2? No I did not. But I can say by judging what is here on the forums I would dare say that if Blizz did make this game a reskinned HD version of D2. Then there would've been only 50k players world wide playing it. Because the majority of your nostalgia players still have D2 and they can still play it. The last I checked the servers are still running.

The majority of players here on the forums wanted an improved version of D2, instead of a reskinned HD copy of D2.

Thats what the D3 devs were aiming for, though they spend alot of times on graphic improvements ,creating new act, and game play. They missed what made diablo a good game, which was in-depth item and in depth skill design

If you are thinking that D2 had an in depth skill system. Then you were saying when you dinged a level "Hey ma, where do I put my skill point again?" A trained chimp could put together a build without much planning.

Put one point every level into your spammable skills and their synergies and you are done. So you really think it took a lot of thinking a planning. If it took you a long time to plan out a build. then I dare say if you find anything more complex than that you better stay away from it. Because your head would explode with all of the thinking you would have to do in order to spend those points.

Why not? You bought a re-skinned version of D1.

Where is my spell book in D2? Where are the attribute potions? Where are the attribute shrines? Why did Blizz North not set a limit as far as how high you can take any one attribute like D1? Where was the horadric cube in D1? Where were the charms, jewels, runes, runewords in D1?

Now do you get what I am saying. When I say reskinned, means that I am saying a perfect copy, clone of D2. Where the only difference is in the graphics and the story.
Edited by ShadowAegis#1537 on 3/19/2013 8:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
i wish paragon levels gave you like 1 point to add to a certain skill like d2 did. with diminishing returns just so its not so op
Reply Quote
What if folks who didn't like D3 stopped playing and posting troll bait posts such as this one and moved on with life.....

GASP!!! what a concept!!

Seriously D3 is fun for some of us and we enjoy playing it, get over it or get out. It really is just that simple...

Good for you, go play and do your thing, no one ask you to read this.
Reply Quote
03/19/2013 06:07 PMPosted by tenzen
i wish paragon levels gave you like 1 point to add to a certain skill like d2 did. with diminishing returns just so its not so op

That actually sounds really really good. Imagine you could improve your skill level with paragon, that would get rid of the lack of skill diversity problem. and make progression that much more fun
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]