Diablo® III

What if D3 was a D2 upgrade, not a WoW clone

D2 remake without dupes/hacks would get my $$.
Reply Quote
The game was designed to appeal to a new generation with lower standards and less patience for thinking. It's like a Michael Bay movie... Don't give them a good story, or well developed characters, or any interesting dialogue or plot twists; Just make things go boom.
Reply Quote
03/19/2013 07:01 PMPosted by IllIllllIllI
The game was designed to appeal to a new generation with lower standards and less patience for thinking. It's like a Michael Bay movie... Don't give them a good story, or well developed characters, or any interesting dialogue or plot twists; Just make things go boom.

Is that JW's philosophy too? lol
Reply Quote
03/19/2013 07:01 PMPosted by IllIllllIllI

Both previous Diablo games did not really take much thought as far as how to build a good character.

Also plot twist and interesting dialogue. Come on give me a break, both previous titles lead you by the nose the whole time. Sure if you rifle ball your way through the dialogue. If you didn't ask around town to find out more info on the current quest. But if you do the same here, decide not to pick up any books or listen to the quest givers. Skip all cinematic scenes you would be in the same boat as the first two games. There were no plot twist, or surprise endings.
Reply Quote
1+ op
Reply Quote
03/19/2013 08:02 PMPosted by ShadowAegis

Both previous Diablo games did not really take much thought as far as how to build a good character.

Also plot twist and interesting dialogue. Come on give me a break, both previous titles lead you by the nose the whole time. Sure if you rifle ball your way through the dialogue. If you didn't ask around town to find out more info on the current quest. But if you do the same here, decide not to pick up any books or listen to the quest givers. Skip all cinematic scenes you would be in the same boat as the first two games. There were no plot twist, or surprise endings.

I think the game as a whole was low standard not just the plot, cinematic etc. Things like items and skills were extremely dull.

I can understand why this game took so long to make, the details are very good, the environment and monsters are well refined. But i dont think those things are all that important in comparison to the character/item/skill design. Skills are aesthetically pleasing but lacked depth. Having every skill scale of DPS is lazy. Having all items geared towards one main dps stat is lazy.
Reply Quote
82 Orc Death Knight
03/19/2013 08:02 PMPosted by ShadowAegis

Rofl?

The whole complaint from JW and baddies was that characters could be built "wrong" which implies thought and decisions.

Make a bad decision, and your character isn't as powerful.

PoE does this well, their skill tree is HUGE, and can make a bad character, but can refund skills via an item that is found.

Thus respecs could take a long time, or just remake a character completely.

This is the proper way to do an ARPG in terms of skills/character customization and a feeling of "being unique."

Moreover, it makes players who think outside the box find a good way to use bad skills/builds, or make them effective through items (when items actually meant something, unlike D3).
Edited by Alliance on 3/19/2013 8:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote

If you are thinking that D2 had an in depth skill system. Then you were saying when you dinged a level "Hey ma, where do I put my skill point again?" A trained chimp could put together a build without much planning.

Put one point every level into your spammable skills and their synergies and you are done. So you really think it took a lot of thinking a planning. If it took you a long time to plan out a build. then I dare say if you find anything more complex than that you better stay away from it. Because your head would explode with all of the thinking you would have to do in order to spend those points.

Why not? You bought a re-skinned version of D1.

Where is my spell book in D2? Where are the attribute potions? Where are the attribute shrines? Why did Blizz North not set a limit as far as how high you can take any one attribute like D1? Where was the horadric cube in D1? Where were the charms, jewels, runes, runewords in D1?

Now do you get what I am saying. When I say reskinned, means that I am saying a perfect copy, clone of D2. Where the only difference is in the graphics and the story.

I'm really not going to go into specifics, or why I personally enjoy D2's stat points or skill point system (or overall gameplay almost) more; but simply put, I'm (keyword for opinion) not a fan of how D3 is currently.
Reply Quote
It seems pretty clear what team at Blizzard had their heart into the work, lets take a look at HoTS story and hows its put together. Then lets look at D3........ huge difference in effort imo
Reply Quote
There is no way D3 could have been the same game as D2 due to the simple fact of there being millions more people playing it. The economy would be flooded with all godly items in a matter of weeks. What this game really needs is a 6-8 month ladder system that lets characters start fresh, and resetting the economy in the process. There could be cool rewards given out to players for reaching level cap first, finding certain items, crafting the first Hellfire Ring, etc. It would function the same way as non-ladder and ladder characters did in D2. The idea of ladder only items would work as well, and would be very valuable when characters move back to non-ladder.

There obviously needs to be a lot of additions/changes to the game, but this would be a step in the right direction.
Edited by Element#1519 on 3/19/2013 8:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
82 Orc Death Knight
If you are thinking that D2 had an in depth skill system. Then you were saying when you dinged a level "Hey ma, where do I put my skill point again?" A trained chimp could put together a build without much planning.

Put one point every level into your spammable skills and their synergies and you are done. So you really think it took a lot of thinking a planning. If it took you a long time to plan out a build. then I dare say if you find anything more complex than that you better stay away from it. Because your head would explode with all of the thinking you would have to do in order to spend those points.

So you are saying...that there was no way to improve on this system? Instead go with a system that has no depth at all, zero. That requires players play with the most optimal skills or just suck, and that has no real choices at all unless you are so top geared that you don't even need to play anymore?

See the thing is, the reason D2 economy didn't suck, the reason people played a lot and made new characters, was because there was always something new to do.

With a CHOICE in skills, you could create a multitude of characters that all geared differently, played differently, and had different strengths and weaknesses.

Diablo 3, all characters have the same strengths, same weaknesses, gear the same, use the same basic skills, and all pretty much play exactly the same.

People say D2 skill system was bad, but they obviously have no idea that they are playing a game on rails that is D3.
Reply Quote
If only we could still play Diablo 2, which is so much better than this. "Would that this desk were a time desk!" But alas, we are forced to play Diablo 3 day in and day out - the only explanation as to why the haters all have hundreds and hundreds of hours logged.
Reply Quote
^

A lot of people bought the game on release, and the amount of people I knew alone made the game playable for at least a month. Then so many changes were made like inferno tweeking, drop rate changes, all new legendaries, ubers and monster power most players stuck around to give D3 a chance. Sadly no matter what blizz seems to do this game should be scrapped, thats not going to happen with expansions already half made and a PS3 release.

also fyi I played just as much D2 as D3 in the last year and guess which one I think is actually fun?
Edited by iwonsch#1358 on 3/19/2013 8:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
82 Orc Death Knight
03/19/2013 08:42 PMPosted by Goodbrew
If only we could still play Diablo 2, which is so much better than this. "Would that this desk were a time desk!" But alas, we are forced to play Diablo 3 day in and day out - the only explanation as to why the haters all have hundreds and hundreds of hours logged.

The only reason D3 sold so well was because of D2.

Console releases will fail hard due to gamers knowing how bad D3 actually is.
Reply Quote
03/19/2013 08:58 PMPosted by Alliance
The only reason D3 sold so well was because of D2.

What does this have to do with what I said?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]