Diablo® III

What if D3 was a D2 upgrade, not a WoW clone

03/19/2013 12:34 AMPosted by Meltdown
If it were basically a reskinned HD version of D2 with new stuff I would not have bought it. If I wanted to experience D2 I would play that game period. I would not waste money on a reskinned HD version of D2. It would not show any love for the series. In fact it would show laziness and a lack of creativity.

Why not? You bought a re-skinned version of D1.

While I would've loved to play a re-skinned D1 or D2. D2 is NOT a re-skinned version of D1.

Le me paint you a picture: D3 is to D2 what D2 is to D1.

No spell tomes, no cursed items, no permanent stat changing/gambling shrines, far less randomized dungeons, bright outside world (Act II), no infrared/phase scrolls, etc. The only things D2 improved upon D1 were the graphics and the combat...

... oh wait... sounds familiar, doesn't it?
Reply Quote
03/20/2013 07:05 AMPosted by Gix

While I would've loved to play a re-skinned D1 or D2. D2 is NOT a re-skinned version of D1.

No spell tomes, no cursed items, no permanent stat changing/gambling shrines, far less randomized dungeons, bright outside world (Act II), no infrared/phase scrolls, etc. The only things D2 improved upon D1 were the graphics and the combat...

Diablo 3 didn't improve on the combat, imo. Also, I've never played Diablo 1. Do you think it's worth playing at this point?
Reply Quote
What if all tweenies and children posed an endless parade of useless rhetorical questions to thinly disguise the general narcissism that pervades their angst-filled youth?
Reply Quote
03/20/2013 08:05 AMPosted by IamDuddits
Diablo 3 didn't improve on the combat, imo. Also, I've never played Diablo 1. Do you think it's worth playing at this point?

If your computer can run it (and I say this because it's a really old game - my tradition of playing the game through each year is over), I would definitely recommend the game.

I have to stress that it's a really old game and some systems (such as a list-view shop interface) might turn you off.
Reply Quote
03/20/2013 09:39 AMPosted by Gix

If your computer can run it (and I say this because it's a really old game - my tradition of playing the game through each year is over), I would definitely recommend the game.

I have to stress that it's a really old game and some systems (such as a list-view shop interface) might turn you off.

I'm running Windows 7. I'm guessing the old aspect is mostly OS based.

Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment are old but I find them engaging enough to play. How does the graphics, systems and interface compare to those games?
Reply Quote
03/20/2013 09:09 AMPosted by Aphid
What if all tweenies and children posed an endless parade of useless rhetorical questions to thinly disguise the general narcissism that pervades their angst-filled youth?

Are you refering to these forums in general? Because if you are, I'm sorry to say that's not a hypothetical situation, but a reality.

Also how many words did you google before posting this to make yourself sound intelligent? Also, why did you name your account after a nasty little white insect that eats plants 0.0?
Edited by Torqbow#1421 on 3/20/2013 10:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote

I'm running Windows 7. I'm guessing the old aspect is mostly OS based.

Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment are old but I find them engaging enough to play. How does the graphics, systems and interface compare to those games?

Yeah there's a trick to make it work in Windows 7 (although it's annoying to deal with); it's got something to do with the colour-palette. Once you got that running, it'll work like a charm.

I played Baldur's Gate and I always thought Diablo 1 was faster, simpler (more intuitive). Visuall, it's eery and the quality of the spell effects are on par. The animations seemed to be a lot easier to read too. The sounds are creepy. Even when your dude (apparently called "Aidan", seriously D3?) says simple things like "Not enough mana!" reeks of death and despair. The sound that Succubus make when they die is... VERY... um... subjective, yet appropriate considering they're.. well succubus.

The interface is where D1 shows its age. It takes 1/3rd of the screen if not more and, while you'll recognize the inventory screen, buying/selling items from shopkeepers might take a while for you to get used to, because it's a text-based list (still colour-coded by rarity, though). Get used to opening your inventory screen to drink a potion during some intense fights because your belt (8 slots) will seem really small.

... Most barrels are trapped... other drops a good amount of gold.
Reply Quote

Are you refering to these forums in general? Because if you are, I'm sorry to say that's not a hypothetical situation, but a reality.

Also how many words did you google before posting this to make yourself sound intelligent? Also, why did you name your account after a nasty little white insect that eats plants 0.0?

These forums are, for the most part, unbearable. I keep coming here out of some delusion that maybe the community will grow up, smarten up, or at least set aside their fanboism long enough to realize that there are a handful of people around here that are aware of the glaring flaws with this game and sincerely want to see the game succeed as Diablo 2 did. Alas, I'm always met with disappointment in this respect.

I criticize this game's core mechanics and the developers' design philosophy because I really would like to see this game become a great game that I will still go back to a decade from now, as I did with Diablo 2 after a miserable 3 months of Diablo 3 play.

I still think the game is salvageable with a serious overhaul of the itemization and game play mechanics.
Edited by IamDuddits#1344 on 3/20/2013 1:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/18/2013 04:24 PMPosted by DoubleD
That's what all the D2 players wanted. What we got was a screwed up mess.

That sounds like one of those t-shirts.

I paid $60 for D3 and all I got was this screwed up mess.
Reply Quote
03/20/2013 01:30 PMPosted by AxeLord

That sounds like one of those t-shirts.

I paid $60 for D3 and all I got was this screwed up mess.

I paid $60 for D3 and all I got was Jay Wilson'd
Reply Quote
+1
Reply Quote
03/20/2013 10:06 AMPosted by familia
DIII is awesome, y'all mad.

This.

D2 vanilla was awesome, new, and refreshing, but the true nostalgic greatness of D2 was when LoD was released. Funny how people forget. D3 may prove to be even better, when they release one or two expansions... I had quit D3 two months after launch and now I'm back because most other games on the market are even bigger, mediocre ripoffs. Borderlands 2 is the only thing that comes close in my opinion.
Reply Quote
03/20/2013 07:05 AMPosted by Gix

D3 is clear not to D2 as what D2 is to D1.
D2 improved every aspect of D1 and enhanced the graphics
D3 Dumbed down every aspect of D2 and enhanced the graphics
Reply Quote
03/20/2013 02:46 AMPosted by Elderone
The ability yo jump acts- A great boon for the botters, dupers, and exploiters

If I want to jump acts to farm bosses because that is what is entertaining to me, why is that taken away from me? Why do I have to play Diablo 3 the way the developers wanted us to play it? What they find fun does not mean I'll find it fun. I did not bot, dupe, or exploit, I created game after game doing MF runs by jumping through the various acts. That's fun for me.

The Hellforee and socket quest- exploited to death on a daily basis

Exploited? By creating new characters, spending the time to rush them, to do the quests? By that logic, if Diablo 3 had a special reward to obtain after a quest, and people created new characters to get that reward, it would be considered an exploit too? So we can't create new characters?

The 24-90 rushs- lest we deprive the exploiters.

That's the way I liked to play. If I want to get rushed so that I could start doing Baal runs to level up, and start doing MF runs, why is that right taken away? If I create a character, level it to 90, and make a mistake on one of my points, I would rather rush a new character instead of replaying a new one. I repeat, why do I have to play Diablo 3 the way the developers wanted it? If I want to skip half the game, so I can do things I like, why is that taken away from me? Why do I have to play a linear storyline every single time I create a new character? Don't you think I'd get bored and would lose incentive to play a new character?
Edited by Exclamatory#1720 on 3/20/2013 3:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
D3 is a game we deserve, but not a game we need right now.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]