Diablo® III

UnID's on Auction House.

03/13/2013 09:38 AMPosted by TheChemist
unfortunately, people have already figured out how to see the item info without ID them, so, this will be a disaster.

ahahaahahahahahhaah!!
Reply Quote
smooth, no one is buying into your explanation because you arent quoting the law. just saying the law exists does not make it so.

How is crafting not gambling but paying gold for unid is?
Reply Quote
smooth, no one is buying into your explanation because you arent quoting the law. just saying the law exists does not make it so.

How is crafting not gambling but paying gold for unid is?

I am not the one that needs to prove anything... I'm just saying that highlander is wrong... hes the one that quotes the law but still it's his own words...

Anyway, buying unid with gold has no link with the law of gambling
Reply Quote
yeap, my friend lost 1b of gold buying UnID Skorn and Echo fury.
got a whole bunch of brimstone.

unfortunately, people have already figured out how to see the item info without ID them, so, this will be a disaster.

ahahaahahahahahhaah!!
Edited by TheChemist#1105 on 3/13/2013 9:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I think the following quote pretty much sums up why you won't see unidentified items on the AH:

It's a problem if players don't want to bother identifying their Legendaries, let alone pick them up. We want to change this.
–Travis Day
Reply Quote
@Highlander

Unless you are a Lawyer, please refrain from making comments about the subject pertaining to gambling laws.
Reply Quote
View profile
Back on Topic,

This is actually not a bad idea, Unid's on Auction House if anything will bring a slightly new dynamic for trading items rather than such searching for exactly what you need.
Reply Quote
a while ago you could get the item code that would give you the affix code #s that could be plugged into a database for the items affixes it rolled not specific stat amounts but a very good idea like you could tell if it was gonna be 170-200 str as 1 affix but not where in that range it would land we have no way of knowing how they fixed this maby they just changed all the #s in the database as well as made it much harder to get the item code to begin with but how confident can we be that no one can still do this through their own method or no one figures out a new method with that kind of track record? we cant be very confident

therefore imo it would be a better to actualy account bound all unids making you have to identify items to trade them
Edited by Abacus#1452 on 3/13/2013 9:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
my bad smooth, im gonna direct that comment at highlander

View profile
highlander, no one is buying into your explanation because you arent quoting the law. just saying the law exists does not make it so.
Reply Quote
hmmm identify unid legendaries is considered gambling?

how about me spending 100k gold to craft at a "chance" to get something godly?

how about when we were kids and we bought a pack of Pokemon or WWE cards so we can get one of those high value foil cards?

I need to hear from the words of a qualified Lawyer and not some random people.

Illegal internet gambling is paying for a chance to win something of monetary value where the outcome is unknown and no skill is required. Because crafted items are account bound they can not be considered to have a monetary value. It's the RMAH (the conversion of play money to real USD currency) that makes internet gambling laws applicable to certain D3 possibilities.
Reply Quote
I think the following quote pretty much sums up why you won't see unidentified items on the AH:

It's a problem if players don't want to bother identifying their Legendaries, let alone pick them up. We want to change this.
–Travis Day

hades saying right...

we won't see unids on AH because they will improve the legendaries

end of discussion I guess
Reply Quote
@hawkeye

Like i said, I, and many others here, want to hear the verdict personally from 1)Judge, 2)Lawyer or 3)Blizzard CM, whether or not that law applies here. What you have are just your layman's views.
It is ridiculous to make such a claim when your credentials are in question.

There are many examples i can quote with in Diablo 3, as well as many other games, which under your interpretation can be classified under as "Gambling" and they are FACILITATED by the developers. If so, why hasn't the law shut them down yet?
Edited by huntersghost#6518 on 3/13/2013 10:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
It would be a good thing for all of us cynical people who have Identified about a billion brimstones and are getting pretty tired of it.

Let some cheery eyed smiling new guy who likes gambling enjoy a few brimstones for a change, I would take the sure gold, thanks.

This is what the BoA craft gambling is for, and those people are probably broke now. Though I agree it would be nice to sell them if they did have money left.
Edited by Lammy#1905 on 3/13/2013 11:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
@huntersghost

I have no idea if/how the law comes into play here, but Hawkeye's post is kinda how I see it as well. You're probably right about D3 and "many other games" where this happens, but I can't think of any. What are some examples where real money can be spent in game on an item of undetermined value, and then resold for real money also in game?
Reply Quote
Welcome to my Past, Had this idea Months ago...
How could it not be a good thing...
Reply Quote
With regards to posts about the legality of it all, crafting exalted grand level 62s is a gamble with the potential payoff being something of monetary value, whether it's a perfectly rolled pair of gloves or a well-rolled weapon.

If unidentified items were to be auctionable, it would only be a fair gamble if it was known what the level of the monster that dropped it was, since affixes now roll based on that.

It would be interesting, and perhaps quite profitable in the early stages of it being introduced, but it wouldn't be much of a gold sink since 85% of the gold or its real-money equivalent would remain in the game. I also feel like it would die off pretty quickly, and that the new BoA crafting plans are 1) already a better gamble and 2) an excellent gold sink.
Reply Quote
@DennyT

Good point. Materials for crafting those lvl62s can be purchased, and then those items could be resold for real money. The selling of UNIDs would be essentially the same.
Your next point is a valid one as well. Selling anything where there are variables taken into account for what it will roll, that are not visible by looking at the item, probably isn't going to happen.
Reply Quote
I don't believe blizzard would allow it or D2 style gambling because the gold economy is now linked to the real world dollar/euro/etc. Essentially you would allow someone to buy 100 dollars worth of gold, then spend that gold on un'ided legendaries.

It doesn't matter if a game has gambling in it, it matters if the game currency is linked to the real world dollar. If 5 dollars worth of gold can buy you an un'ided item worth .05 cents or 250 dollars, there is certainly a gambling issue at play.
Reply Quote
Oh by the way, the (BOA) crafting analogies really don't apply because in terms of currency once you craft something it is worth $0 even if its godly.
Edited by Dcozzi01#1192 on 3/13/2013 12:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Won't happen. It would be considered a form of gambling because the value of the item being sold is not known. You can sell them in trade chat or whatever because blizz can't control that really. As far as it being on the auction house, not a chance due to gambling laws. It's too much like selling lottery tickets. Besides if you really want to sell your un id'd items, there are forums on the web set up just for that very purpose.

This was posted by HighLander. Suck it, post-deleter.

Also, take the AH out of the game. It sucks. Hah.
Edited by IAmTheLaw#1364 on 3/13/2013 12:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]