Diablo® III

UnID's on Auction House.

The AH vendors certainly won't be fans of this latest Dev post.

Good news for everyone!
Reply Quote

What we would be more likely to consider doing is concepts like Gheed from D2 where you have the ability to spend gold in game to "pull the lever" for good items while giving you some control over what the item you get will be.

What exactly is the difference between D3 Blacksmith and D2 Gheed Gambling?!
Am I missing something here? I mean when it comes to "pulling a lever" and having some control over what item I get, they are exactly the same. And both rely on commodities that you find in the game.(D2: Gold, D3: Gold/Essences)

Implementing another Gheed into D3 seems pretty redundant.
Reply Quote
03/13/2013 03:31 PMPosted by Travis Day
What we would be more likely to consider doing is concepts like Gheed from D2 where you have the ability to spend gold in game to "pull the lever" for good items while giving you some control over what the item you get will be.

Good idea, you should call it "crafting"
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter

Am I missing something here? I mean when it comes to "pulling a lever" and having some control over what item I get, they are exactly the same. And both rely on commodities that you find in the game.(D2: Gold, D3: Gold/Essences)

I suppose the basic difference would be that you wouldn't need crafting plans and mats for Gheed--which also means that you'd have much less control over what you got. In other words, a true gamble.
Reply Quote

True. If the itemization is still boring & horrible, not even Gheed is going to make much of a difference. And if you'll get more useable gear out of him, then there'd be even less reason to 'play' the game than there is currently.
Reply Quote
I have described a way for gambling to happen before. Basically this:

1. Greed is added.
2. You can see a random bunch of unided legendary items on him. You know exact which items they are, you just don't know how it will roll.
3. Their starting price, immediately after the patch, is about 5m.
4. You can buy the unided items.
5. All unided items of the same type, when bought by anyone, increases in price by 5% for all players in the server.
6. You can sell the unided items.
7. All unided items of the same type, when sold by anyone, decreases in price by 5% for all players in the server.
8. You can refresh the selection, but it takes 5 seconds.

Thus, after some time, maybe in as little as an hour, all the market prices for unided should settle at their market value for their type. A high price item like unided IK chest may go as high as 10m unided. But at some point price, it would make more sense to sell. A low price item like unided Frostburn may go as low as 10K, but as some price point, it would make sense to buy if only for the brimstones.

Pro 1: You don't go to AH, it is totally in game.
Pro 2: The prices are still player driven and will always reflect the current market.
Pro 3: The buyer doesn't get scammed as each item is actually newly generated when bought.
Con 1: During the initial phase since all items start at 5m, someone will get pretty sweet deals, but that will just last for 5 minutes before the good stuff gets very expensive and the bad ones get very cheap.
Edited by Wtflag#1258 on 3/13/2013 4:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The problem with making it easier and easier to get the things you want is that everything becomes common. Items lose their rarity (and therefore part of their allure) and it's gets tired very quickly. The only way to really make rarity a factor is to have items that are very hard to obtain. I don't want it to be easy...if I ever get a really cool rare item I want it to feel like I earned it.

And just to clarify...I never buy anything in the auction house...I just sell things and use the gold I earn to craft more stuff. :)
Reply Quote
Game Designer
I've spoken on this topic before but crafting is certainly a good place to introduce mechanics of this nature. Crafters didn't really end up fulfilling their intended role so we frequently discuss ways to improve them and rerolling the stats of an item is one of the ideas that has come up before.
Reply Quote
ok first of all i want to be honest here. I have about 30 unid'd legengarys all which i know are crap because i id'd them on the ptr. so if people want to buy these legendarys which i know are !@#$ then ok seems good for me.
Reply Quote
03/13/2013 03:31 PMPosted by Travis Day

Ummmm...... isn't this almost exactly what crafting is?
Reply Quote
03/13/2013 04:43 PMPosted by Weily
ok first of all i want to be honest here. I have about 30 unid'd legengarys all which i know are crap because i id'd them on the ptr. so if people want to buy these legendarys which i know are !@#$ then ok seems good for me.

From a LONG time ago? Didn't the last PTR or two not allow UNID to go across?
Reply Quote
03/13/2013 04:43 PMPosted by WiggityWack
Ummmm...... isn't this almost exactly what crafting is?

My guess is that the difference would be that a Gheed like vendor would only require gold, as opposed to the Blacksmith who requires materials on top of gold.
Reply Quote
03/13/2013 04:35 PMPosted by Travis Day
I've spoken on this topic before but crafting is certainly a good place to introduce mechanics of this nature. Crafters didn't really end up fulfilling their intended role so we frequently discuss ways to improve them and rerolling the stats of an item is one of the ideas that has come up before.

I'd like a way to tie gambling or rerolling to white items that drop and maybe a superior white gives a better chance of giving a reroll you want.
Reply Quote
03/13/2013 04:07 PMPosted by KampfSaU

Gheed requires only gold, no plans, no components, he can give you magic, rare, unique and set items (depending on your luck), from the same unidentified source / item.

Blacksmith forges exactly what you ask him to, if you want to craft a blue item, you don't have any chance to get a legendary or set item.

So yes, i would like to see his type of gambling back in D3.
Edited by ssanyesz#2866 on 3/13/2013 5:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/13/2013 05:01 PMPosted by ssanyesz

Gheed requires only gold, no plans, no components, he can give you magic, rare, unique and set items (depending on your luck), from the same unidentified source / item.

Blacksmith forges exactly what you ask him to, if you want to craft a blue item, you don't have any chance to get a legendary or set item.

I like the idea of "having a chance" to gamble a legendary, but I doubt it would work too well in D3. I mean, gold is actually more valuable in D3 than D2. The price/reward would need to be balanced accordingly O_o
Reply Quote
03/13/2013 04:44 PMPosted by Govbot

From a LONG time ago? Didn't the last PTR or two not allow UNID to go across?

yes from along time ago but considering unid'd legendaries will go for like 100x what these one will go for then ill hang on to them until they may implement this, and sell them for like 5 mil each to some poor kid.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]