Diablo® III

UnID's on Auction House.

03/13/2013 04:35 PMPosted by Travis Day
I've spoken on this topic before but crafting is certainly a good place to introduce mechanics of this nature. Crafters didn't really end up fulfilling their intended role so we frequently discuss ways to improve them and rerolling the stats of an item is one of the ideas that has come up before.

I just made a thread about this the other day. I think being able to reroll and item would be amazing, but it would have to be kept in check.

1 idea from others is to allow you to reroll only 1 affix. I think that would make it too easy to make uber gear, but if thats an option, only allow it to reroll once.

The idea I had was to allow you to reroll rare, legendary, or set items, but there is a 25% chance the item is destroyed. Have the cost be like 100k for rare, 500k for leg, 1M for set items and also use a Demonic Essece (to give them another use). With a 25% chance to destroy the item, I dont think a huge gold cost is needed.
Reply Quote
As far as I can tell, Gheed brought two things to the table.

1. an "alternate" way to potentially get best in slot items.
2. a gold sink

I think both of those are important functions for a game like D3 to have. However, the one thing about Gheed was that it's an incredibly boring way to "play" the game. So while I'm very much in favor of anything which would provide alternate ways to get good items and provide a gold sink, wouldn't it be exciting if the manner of doing involved a little more actual "game play" than just walking up to an NPC and clicking? Maybe instead of just buying your "gambled" item from a Gheed type, you could buy a quest from him to a particular part of the world (maybe Act 4, which doesn't seem to get a lot of visitors) to kill a particular enemy, which gives you a random items which could conceivably be best in slot? Really, there's a universe idea which might be implemented which would 1. provide alternate ways to get good loot, 2. provide a gold sink, and 3. be more interesting than simply clicking an NPC.

I realize it's always a question of resources vs. benefits when adding new systems, and from that perspective, maybe Gheed/crafting is the best answer for the time being. But if it wouldn't be too difficult, maybe coming up with something a little more interactive would make the game all that much better.
Reply Quote
03/13/2013 03:31 PMPosted by Travis Day
we are really trying to refocus the game away from the auction house

insert citizen cane clap here

i think thats what a lot of players really want and i think would add more of a reason to grind it out. ive been gettin keys and IM's like a madman just so i can craft HF rings and thats currently whats keeping me going. Just got HotS too so for now that wins over grinding for HF rings. But i seriously enjoy D3 a lot and really need more excuses to play.
Edited by troblemaker#1793 on 3/14/2013 9:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
03/13/2013 10:05 PMPosted by MasterJay
What we would be more likely to consider doing is concepts like Gheed from D2 where you have the ability to spend gold in game to "pull the lever" for good items while giving you some control over what the item you get will be.

All this means is more crafting, don't know why ppl are getting so excited over that.

Because not everyone shares your opinions. HTH.
Reply Quote
I have heard this come up on a couple of occasions so let me hop in and clarify for you guys. Selling and buying UnID items is certainly something some people enjoy doing, even given the potential for scamming. The reason we don't really want to reinforce this is because we are really trying to refocus the game away from the auction house in general so we don't want to add even more reasons for people to rely on it.

What we would be more likely to consider doing is concepts like Gheed from D2 where you have the ability to spend gold in game to "pull the lever" for good items while giving you some control over what the item you get will be.
While I understand and even agree with refocusing the game away from the AH, I don't share the same sentiment about unidentified items on the AH. The AH regulates prices and makes trading easier, while also providing a gold sink for each and every sale.

One of the biggest problems with buying unidentified items is that people don't know prices of these items and that leads to a lot of disputes and name-calling, etc.

It's a very popular thing. I like it, many other people like it, but trading over chat and forums is just bad. We have a superior trading method, we might as well take advantage of it. I get the reluctance to add a new AH feature however if it must be done to satisfy consumer demand then it has to be done.

I like the second option that you presented. It's the traditional method found in games like Diablo 2 and Torchlight 2. Why not just implement a new vendor that sells unidentified items? These items are random and could be anything from a magic item to a legendary item. I would definitely spend a lot of gold on this vendor.

As for rerolling stats on an item. I've said it many times and continue to say it, you guys can install an Enchantment vendor that adds affixes up to 6 per item (dependent on how many are already on there), allowing the player to erase enchantments for a hefty gold cost. Supposedly this system was already in place, called the Mystic, but was removed for unknown reasons. Maybe the original implementation didn't work, but in a post-Torchlight 2 world, I don't see why you guys can't revise it and rerelease it. Speaking of Torchlight 2, might I recommend that you play the game?
Reply Quote
Seriously, How bout trade in like 54 or 6 Brimmers and get a Legendary, or what about you get the option to choose an Unid. Legendary?
Reply Quote
03/13/2013 04:35 PMPosted by Travis Day
I've spoken on this topic before but crafting is certainly a good place to introduce mechanics of this nature. Crafters didn't really end up fulfilling their intended role so we frequently discuss ways to improve them and rerolling the stats of an item is one of the ideas that has come up before.

What about allowing players to take unid legendary/set items and morph them with the "gheed" mechanic.

You take a potentially good item, a pile of gold and maybe it allows you to take some of the power from the item and insert it into something else.

I'm thinking of being able to imbue weapons with a set amount of charges, and in order to refill said charges it takes an unid leg/set and a ton of gold.
Reply Quote
I have heard this come up on a couple of occasions so let me hop in and clarify for you guys. Selling and buying UnID items is certainly something some people enjoy doing, even given the potential for scamming. The reason we don't really want to reinforce this is because we are really trying to refocus the game away from the auction house in general so we don't want to add even more reasons for people to rely on it.

YES! Gheed type gambling! I know the crafting was supposed to fulfill this role, but man it didn't. And I actually love the crafting system! But Gheed and the gambling was on another level. Make sure uber items are available, and I guarantee a great gold sink.
Reply Quote

how about you start thinking of ways for players to make gold instead of ways to spend it...? at this point if you've run out of gold for crafting or otherwise your only options are to either farm for weeks and round up a few mill, hit the jackpot with a .01% success rate on a well rolled legendary, or just buy gold on the RMAH. this is unacceptable, the game needs a currency and the reason gold is worthless right now is because of bots, which blizzard obviously can't get rid of. DIablo always has been and always SHOULD be about trading, this BoA crap needs to stop it ruins a HUGE aspect of the game for so many people, look at your sales and look at the numbers online at any given time and take a step back and ask yourselves what's wrong with the game instead of sitting in your office reading select posts about why people hate the AH and do what's right for the game instead of what you THINK is right, because it hasn't worked so far.

it's practically impossible to make gold without using the AH so why you're saying you want to try moving away from the AH (the only way you make money off this game as well) makes absolutely no sense at all

is there anyone left at blizzard with a brain? i'm getting tired of hearing this crap about the AH if you don't like it don't play the game it's necessary and BoA gear will ruin this game if you keep adding it

screw all your ideas and put a damn ladder in the game

seriously it would work out best for everyone and the game would have perpetual motion just like D2 did, the ladder was the main thing that kept it going for so many years and still more people play it than D3, that should tell you something.
Edited by Foopster#1478 on 3/14/2013 11:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Makes me sad to hear that you dont want to recognize the fact that half the threads on the trade forums already revolve around unids. Obviously people do want to trade with them. At the same time you recognize the fact, the there is great potential for scamming and you choose to leave it that way although you could easily make it a lot safer by allowing to sell them on the auction house.
There is a large and increasing number of players interested in trading those unid items and there is also a large number of players who dont like the AH.
You could make both happy w/o harming the other group.

Also: If you put someone like Gheed into the game, please please make it so, that unpopular items get cheaper over time and popular ones increase in price. No offense, but i dont trust you guys to find the appropriate prices for each and every item by yourself. The result would be endless threads demanding to change the pricing of this or that gambling object.
Reply Quote
PULL THE LEVER KRONK!..............WRONG LEVER!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAndNd8srqs

Love it!!
Reply Quote
03/13/2013 03:31 PMPosted by Travis Day
we are really trying to refocus the game away from the auction house in general

oh jeez here we go.

cure worse than the disease imo.

as much as I count myself no more than an "affluent peasant" in the overall scheme of things, if you take away such means to accumulate and/or demonstrate wealth in this game, you better have some danged interesting longevity content up your sleeves, or might as well just shut this whole mess down. (cuz right the wealth accumulation is the metagame that's keeping me and many others interested.)

I've just come back after a several month hiatus of disgust, and reading such comments as the above is NOT encouraging.
Reply Quote
What about rerolling just 1 specific stat on the item at a time. It could cost a few million gold and it the end you craft yourself youre version of a perfect armor piece.
Reply Quote
03/12/2013 11:36 PMPosted by HighLander
It's too much like selling lottery tickets.

Wait, this whole game is a lottery, now you're telling me it's illegal?
Reply Quote
what they should do is allow players to add UNID items to a queue of items. and players just go to a vendor and press gamble and then the items that come out are UNID items that other players have sold to this vendor. Of course the vendor would pay differently for UNID item types based on the demand of the system. And yes you should be able to gamble on specific item types like pants/shoulders/belts, etc. I don't think you should be able to gamble on legendary vs rare. The system just picks from the items that currently exist. Which in some cases could be all legendary items and others could be mostly rare items. And yes there would be teirs for iLvl so you can gamble on UNID items from different iLvl tiers.

Thoughts anyone?
Reply Quote
The AH is murdering D3 it should not even be mentioned. I personally feel it should be scraped and transformed into a blizz store. Where you can buy specific new dyes and armor textures for vanity and even buy a certain legendary or rare that has a specific RNG and stuff like that. Leave the trading world for in game. Create a seperate area, like maybe wherever it is that the goblin portal leads to for implementing a trade room act. there could maybe even be like minigames involved in that act for seasonal prices and stuff.
Reply Quote
Oh and the store would be cash only OR could be bought with tokens gained from ingame events or somehting.
Reply Quote
Can I just say I love the idea of bringing back Gheed. I want my slot machine back so bad!
Reply Quote
I'm sorry, but allowing unidentified items on the auction house would pretty much defeat the whole purpose of the game. Why even bother farming anymore, when you can just buy stuff on the AH?

Sometimes I wonder why people who bought practically the best gear in every slot on the ah/rmah, even bother farming or playing. Then complain about never finding an upgrade.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]