Diablo® III

300th spear vs Thing of the deep

We want players to feel like entire new builds can open up if they get their hand on the right items. Glimmers of this idea are already in the game with The Three Hundredth Spear and Thing of the Deep.

Anyone got any usage stats on these two items? I never see anyone running around using 300th spear and I see lots of people using Thing of the deep.
Reply Quote
Throw Barbs use them but given that the build is not exactly the most popular one, you don't see it used as often as a TotD.
Reply Quote
I use TOTD for all my farming with WD, the PUR is just amazing and its got good stats on it generally speaking. I use another offhand for ubers and really high MPs.

I used 300th spear but weapon throw means you need a lot of gear with reduced cost to make it work, it's sort of like zombie bear spam/hota/tempest rush builds in this regard.

TOTD can operate by itself and doesnt require you to get other pieces to make it effective.
Reply Quote
03/19/2013 11:09 AMPosted by AxeLord
We want players to feel like entire new builds can open up if they get their hand on the right items. Glimmers of this idea are already in the game with The Three Hundredth Spear and Thing of the Deep.

Anyone got any usage stats on these two items? I never see anyone running around using 300th spear and I see lots of people using Thing of the deep.

300th is BiS for pure Throw builds and some Hybrid builds. It depends on what you're running. It adds a ton of dps and clear one slot of movement speed. This is a more in-depth discussion to when 300th is a good option or not:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7199640574
Reply Quote
the 300th spear really makes throw build viable.

however the throw build itself is not viable for anything in the game. its just for the lawlz kind of thing.
Edited by Smooth#1920 on 3/19/2013 11:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
the 300th spear really makes throw build viable.

however the throw build itself is not viable for anything in the game. its just for the lawlz kind of thing.

??????????????????????????????????????????

First time I finished the game was when 1.03 hitted, first or second week. And it was with a Throw Build without 300th. It wasn't even buffed yet. Throw has always been viable, even in 1.02. The problem wasn't the build but the overtunned inferno.
Reply Quote
a Throw Barb is faster than a WW-Barb in low MP's than a WW-Barb.

The Reason is, that a WW-Barb can't keep Sprint up if his Nados kill everything in 1-2 Ticks (not enough fury generated)
As a Throw-Barb you have no problem keeping Sprint (and the one with faster movement at that) up at all times. Combined with Seismic Slam for bigger packs it's real fast, plus, you don't have to worry about kiter-Mobs.

But why anyone would play a MP so low that he has to switch Builds for it... before the patch that raised XP in higher MP's it was viable for paragon-farming, but now...
Reply Quote
03/19/2013 11:26 AMPosted by Garthandal
I used 300th spear but weapon throw means you need a lot of gear with reduced cost to make it work

wut? No escape and into the fray can make throw work with just -3 on one item.

that wasnt my experience, maybe my cc needed to be perfect. idk what the proc rates are for weapon throw but i ran out several times, im talking about a build that can spam weapon throw and not even use a normal fury generator like WW barbs do.
Reply Quote

wut? No escape and into the fray can make throw work with just -3 on one item.

that wasnt my experience, maybe my cc needed to be perfect. idk what the proc rates are for weapon throw but i ran out several times, im talking about a build that can spam weapon throw and not even use a normal fury generator like WW barbs do.

You need 40%CC with Br:ItF and a -5item. Even though I find running a WT build with Frenzy/Vanguard and Sprint Marathon faster then running with a non-generator.
Edited by Ravlaor#1393 on 3/19/2013 11:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
will try it again when i get some time. thx!
Reply Quote
Problem is that WT build loses in effectiveness when it is compared against HotA, Rend and DT builds. It used to be good when the MPs weren't as balanced and everyone would farm MP0-1 but now people usually farm MP5+
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
Number one barb on diabloprogress Alkaizer uses 2 the 300th spears. I imported his profile into D3up.
Reply Quote
I do...

There's probably way better weapons for throwing spec, but I saw this posted for 250k so I jumped all over it.
Reply Quote
Number one barb on diabloprogress Alkaizer uses 2 the 300th spears. I imported his profile into D3up.

He's number one Paragon 100 and, if I'm not mistaken, most of his paragon levelling was with double tornado spec before the MPs patch. Btw, his other 300th is Legacy so no WT/AS bonuses.

I do...

There's probably way better weapons for throwing spec, but I saw this posted for 250k so I jumped all over it.

For WT build it actually is pretty good, specially when combined with an Echoing Fury.
Awesome HC barbarian either way!
Reply Quote
03/19/2013 11:09 AMPosted by AxeLord

s

As mentioned 3 hundredth spear is for throw barb.

Thing of the deep (TotD) is used by Witch Doctors who runs builds that surround which depends a lot on pick up radius, eg. Grave Injustice, gruesome feast, circle of life ( All 3 are WD passives) . TotD gives 20 pick up radius, so players don't have to get those stats on other parts of the gear.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile

I gave my 300th spear to my Templar.

He now runs super fast. ^.^

Perhaps the 300th spear wouldn't be so horrible if they didn't make 300 of them. =( I wonder what kind of stats the first 299 of them had.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
03/19/2013 05:21 PMPosted by DOWNFALL
lol its a reference to the movie 300 not a joke about how many were made (we both know you know theres more than 300 of the buggers)

Jeez, see if I ever make a funny ever again. =(
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]