Diablo® III

Life steal for ZB?

65 Orc Rogue
about how much life steal am i looking to have for a ZB build? 3%? 6%? more?
Reply Quote
6% is the max you'll get on a WD unfortunately. I myself opt for a 1H with as much lifesteal as I can afford.

[edit] how did I forget about 2H weapons?
Edited by fDoug#1428 on 3/9/2013 7:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
65 Orc Rogue
i have 3% LS off of my Manajuma's right now and ima tou about 41k DPS on act 2 inferno (i havent finished the initial inferno playthrough) is that sufficient?
Reply Quote
At 41k dps you might get more bang for your buck with LoH. It's very hard to pinpoint the exact paper dps value where lifesteal becomes more effective than LoH (due to different skills doing different % weapon damage) but I'd say 80-100k is where you can really notice LS shine.

Not to say that lifesteal doesn't help at 41k, but grabbing a a big LoH piece or spreading it over your rings and ammies will certainly help, although not as much on Bears as it does other skills.
Reply Quote
my manajumas gives both 3% LS and 695 LoH so im trying out both a toad/acid cloud build and ZB to see what i like. i haven't tried 0 dogs as its very gear specific, and i dont think itd be very good for playing thru inferno trying to beat bosses. maybe im wrong, but it doesnt seem good for boss fights.
Reply Quote
Someday if you ever get a lot more damage, 100k+, you'll notice a 1hander with life steal is simply not enough to deal with reflects damage. You'll have to have a strategy to handle that.

In the meantime, LoH is a lot cheaper. If you work at it, you may even be able to buy a Skorn with high LoH and that will up your damage significantly. I had a LoH skorn and a lifesteal 2hander (similar damage) and I was able to handle MP8 with rain of toads + acid rain + pets. I think I had 80k damage base.
Edited by MCP#1477 on 3/9/2013 10:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
Someday if you ever get a lot more damage, 100k+, you'll notice a 1hander with life steal is simply not enough to deal with reflects damage. You'll have to have a strategy to handle that.

In the meantime, LoH is a lot cheaper. If you work at it, you may even be able to buy a Skorn with high LoH and that will up your damage significantly. I had a LoH skorn and a lifesteal 2hander (similar damage) and I was able to handle MP8 with rain of toads + acid rain + pets. I think I had 80k damage base.

False. I was using a Manajuma's and running zombie bears with 170k dps and had no trouble whatsoever with reflect, even before the patch nerfed it. My Manajuma's has 2.8% and that was plenty to keep me alive. I liked using my Blackthorne's pants for a little bit of added loh, but I ran without them and had no issues. I just recently switched to zero dogs, otherwise I would still be running with the Manajuma's.

Edit to mention that mana consumption will be your biggest draw back, not life steal vs. reflect. I was using a Thing of the Deep for the radius, which did help somewhat with the mana issue. Using Corpse Spiders for mana and the passive that makes primary skills increase mana regeneration helps as well.
Edited by Joshua#1250 on 3/9/2013 11:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
Correct,
If you have super high defense, 4.5 armor, 900+ physical resist, spirit walk, and horrify double armor, you can handle RD with a one hander. Not very many people can handle it with a one hander life steal (max 3%)

Attack with bears, then after a few hit, turn on spirit walk. HP is refilled.
Once spirit walk is done, turn on horrify. Results will vary based on armor, but you shouldn't be losing much HP if you aren't gaining it.

But in high MP, elites last longer than that and you'll have to attack with something else while spirit walk and horrify are on cooldown.

Much less the previously dreaded health link + RD, which would make no amount of life steal enough.

Thanks to the new RD mechanics, you can handle their uptime with a well timed horrify double armor, I was even able to save spirit walk.
Reply Quote
The lower the MP you play on, the less likely you will have problems with a 3% LS weapon.

As you move up MP levels past 7, things become a lot more interesting. There are no easy rules for playing MP8+, and the horrify trick will not save you when you are in 1 minute + battles with elites.

About any strategy works on low to mid MPs. After that, all bets are off for any just do this or just do that strategy.
Reply Quote
I've found that at higher MP, I will sacrifice paper DPS and up to 10% crit for additional mana on MP8+ and will use different passives. I rely on two heavy mana consuming spells (BOTH acid cloud and Bears) so having more staying power is essential.

I often find myself switching out my Thing of the Deep for the Gory Fetch w/ 100+ Mana, Mana regen and lower bears cost (Get the whole Manjuama's set bonus :-) and replacing my Unity ring with a stone of Jordan with a 30% against elites + Max Mana + 7% poison and 7 reduction in ZB resource cost. Mana hits 1100+ at that point, so you can spam bears for much much longer.

Passives usually change from GI/GF/VQ for farming to BM/VQ/JF for MP8+ runs. When solo, I'll use horrify instead of a Garg, but in multi player I often switch to bruiser and use snake to the face for the stun and higher proc rate for LoH when you're low on Mana and AC isn't going to cut it.

Tactics shift at higher MP. You are usually fighting more stand off with acid cloud and darts and only spamming bears when they bad guys get close. This is different from a typical farming build using GF/GI build where you charge in and start spamming :-)
Reply Quote
I have 0 problems with 2.8% LS on my weapon on any MP level.
Reply Quote
I do speed runs at mp4 with no LS and have no issues at all... even with pretty bad ehp.

LS will make your life easier but it's really not necessary.
Reply Quote
Any MP is do-able for me solo, but MP8 is where I currently run for fast kill speed and low chance of death. With 6% LS, I can face-tank elites on MP8 and higher (some elemental/freeze combos can be tough).

I prefer not to run solo... favorite MP10 team is with CM Wiz and Cyclone-strike Monk. With this group, I can run MP10 as fast (or even faster) as I can MP8 solo.
Edited by BigRed#1100 on 3/11/2013 9:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
i've been pretty comfortable with my 1 hand life steal for mp8+. and as long as i manage my mana on specific elites i have no major problems. some really nasty affix combos can be a challenge but a little kiting arround is easy enough. reflect just seems to make it a little more interesting and fun
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]