Diablo® III

because there are 5 classes...

03/28/2013 05:34 PMPosted by Lylirra
Also, console 4 player co-op = decision to limit to 4 players on PC

I know the "PC vs. Console" debate is its own sort of Eternal Conflict, and that it's super popular right now to blame every design decision you disagree with on the development of a console version. I get it. And if that's really what you want to believe in your (sin) heart of hearts, then we'll respect that -- because you're a human being and deserve it, even if we don't see eye-to-eye. <3

As I've said before, though, the PC experience defined the console experience, not vice-versa. The core of the console game is based on the PC game -- you get all the same content, systems, classes, skills, and runes on the console as you do on PC. Our goal when developing Diablo III for console was to deliver that same visceral gameplay you get with a mouse and keyboard, just on a different platform. We wanted the experience itself to be authentic, in as many ways as possible. (Quick FYI: the console version didn't actually go into full development until the game was released last May.)

That said, the console version is its own game, and we've made a variety of tweaks to the PlayStation version of Diablo III so it makes sense on that platform, including a complete re-design of the UI and character controls, as well as combat pacing and boss fights. I point this out because it means we have the latitude to make adjustments to the PC game for console as appropriate, and that our decision to go with four-player co-op on the PC (as opposed to 5-player or 8-player co-op) was based on our goals for what would make a great PC game. Not because it's what console co-op would need.

It's a disservice to game design -- as well as your feedback and healthy discussion in general -- to boil everything down to "well, you just did it because of console." Especially since you’re essentially ignoring everything we’re trying to talk to you about in the process. There were a number of different reasons that led us to decide on four players for multiplayer games in Diablo III, and none of them related to the development of console. You may agree with some of those reasons and disagree with others, or disagree with all of them -- and that's okay! Critiques are good, so long as they're relevant. Unfortunately, reducing all your arguments to glorified strawmen isn't very relevant. (Nor does it give us a lot of useful feedback on which to base further improvements.)

You've said most of this before. I don't think the issue is that people don't understand your stance, the issue is that they think you are lying.
Reply Quote
Thanks good info. Keep up the good work. I remember a whiiiiilllleee back .. one of the CM's was saying D3 would not have much updates/content patches. You guys have sure done lots since release. :D
Reply Quote
Community Manager
You've said most of this before. I don't think the issue is that people don't understand your stance, the issue is that they think you are lying.

If people think I'm lying then they don't actually understand my stance very well.
Reply Quote
The second reason is that the Evade ability just feels super (and forgive my eloquence here) console-y. We want the game to feel natural when using a controller, and being able to dodge and roll around really plays up that fantasy. It's one of those elements that just "fits" on the console, but doesn't necessarily make sense for PC.

Makes sense now, that does sound super console-y. It would make sense to have that function on the Mouse Wheel. Roll fowards and backwards with sliding up and down. Just my idea :D .. but maybe/not all mouses have scroll wheels so that cant be implemented?
Edited by CKTheBoss#1345 on 3/28/2013 6:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Community Manager
03/28/2013 06:17 PMPosted by Anuiran
In that video (around 7:14) a monster drops a "buff globe" that increases exp greatly for about 10 seconds. I have seen no official world on this mechanic, will this come to PC's also?

It's what we call a "power up" globe. Basically, there's a small chance that whenever a health globe drops it'll turn into a power up globe instead. These globes can provide the player with one of several small, temporary buffs (+MF/GF, +movement speed, +attack speed, etc) when picked up and last for very short period of time. They're similar to Shrine buffs, but are designed to give players a quick boost during the middle of combat, rather than something you take from fight to fight.

Right now, there aren't any plans to bring power up globes to the PC, but that of course may change as we continue testing and poring through your feedback. :)
Edited by Lylirra on 3/28/2013 6:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Troll Warrior
like i said earlier we think your lying because you say stuff we know to be factually wrong and the correlation of console talk from pre release and those decisions made on release is in our face and what you post makes us say wtf...

remember console talk was on way before d3 was even released.
Reply Quote
03/28/2013 06:41 PMPosted by Lylirra

If people think I'm lying then they don't actually understand my stance very well.
We understand the stance you're taking very well. Now how about some commentary on whether or not the platforms can diverge in future development. Your stance of "the console version is its own game" would imply that it could, and confirmation (if possible) would shore up your credibility on this matter.
Reply Quote
Also, console 4 player co-op = decision to limit to 4 players on PC

I know the "PC vs. Console" debate is its own sort of Eternal Conflict, and that it's super popular right now to blame every design decision you disagree with on the development of a console version. I get it. And if that's really what you want to believe in your (sin) heart of hearts, then we'll respect that -- because you're a human being and deserve it, even if we don't see eye-to-eye. <3

As I've said before, though, the PC experience defined the console experience, not vice-versa. The core of the console game is based on the PC game -- you get all the same content, systems, classes, skills, and runes on the console as you do on PC. Our goal when developing Diablo III for console was to deliver that same visceral gameplay you get with a mouse and keyboard, just on a different platform. We wanted the experience itself to be authentic, in as many ways as possible. (Quick FYI: the console version didn't actually go into full development until the game was released last May.)

That said, the console version is its own game, and we've made a variety of tweaks to the PlayStation version of Diablo III so it makes sense on that platform, including a complete re-design of the UI and character controls, as well as combat pacing and boss fights. I point this out because it means we have the latitude to make adjustments to the PC game for console as appropriate, and that our decision to go with four-player co-op on the PC (as opposed to 5-player or 8-player co-op) was based on our goals for what would make a great PC game. Not because it's what console co-op would need.

It's a disservice to game design -- as well as your feedback and healthy discussion in general -- to boil everything down to "well, you just did it because of console." Especially since you’re essentially ignoring everything we’re trying to talk to you about in the process. There were a number of different reasons that led us to decide on four players for multiplayer games in Diablo III, and none of them related to the development of console. You may agree with some of those reasons and disagree with others, or disagree with all of them -- and that's okay! Critiques are good, so long as they're relevant. Unfortunately, reducing all your arguments to glorified strawmen isn't very relevant. (Nor does it give us a lot of useful feedback on which to base further improvements.)

Why isn't anyone in the "Ask the Devs" being this honest and straight up??
Reply Quote
Games released onto the console is not a new thing [Starcraft/BroodWar N64]. But when I played Starcraft on the console I rejected it because that type of game felt more comfortably played on a PC. I think I would feel the same about Diablo III even with something like evasion---which is why I asked what is different design wise about the Console version against the PC version.

I think the reason why people are producing criticism regarding Diablo III on the console, is because of the launch of Diablo III, initially. The problems it had and the design choices upset many players---in addition to the Botting problem that dominated the game experience. Most of those problems have now been resolved, and the game is closer to the certain type of variety players are comfortable with......

......But the Console players will be getting a game with higher level of game experience that the PC players [High number of purchases across the globe] did not receive, and then continued with a life of complaining about the game, on the forum [affecting quality of feedback]. Though it may not be the true vision of the game developers----it does make Diablo III on the PC look like a mock-up for a Console game. I doubt that is what the case is, but because it appears that way people are putting on their tin foil hats.
Edited by BrownTown#1836 on 3/28/2013 7:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
How about finally let PC gamers have dodge mechanics instead of tracked hit box?
Reply Quote
Community Manager
"The core of the console game is based on the PC game -- you get all the same content, systems, classes, skills, and runes on the console as you do on PC"

regardless of reasoning wouldn't that be considered a lie? whether it's consoley or not this is not true statement since console has offline mode and no auction house (pc) and they get a dodge button while pc does not... Not the same for each other. so "same content" is false

Yup! You're correct that the console version will not have an auction house. Beyond that, since the console is based on the PC game, you get everything on the console as you do on PC (meaning you get all the same zones, events, monsters, bosses, classes, skills, runes, and systems like Infernal Machine, Brawling, and Monster Power on the console as you do on PC). Right now, we're currently planning to ship with everything up to 1.0.7, potentially 1.0.8 depending on development time.

There are also some features on the console version that are not present on the PC version, but I covered that in the post you quoted:

That said, the console version is its own game, and we've made a variety of tweaks to the PlayStation version of Diablo III so it makes sense on that platform, including a complete re-design of the UI and character controls, as well as combat pacing and boss fights.

This is because the game was originally designed for PC and needed some adjustments in order to translate well to consoles, specifically the PlayStation platform.
Edited by Lylirra on 3/28/2013 11:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Community Manager
If a feature or NPC that would be wildly popular and beneficial to the game (pick a hypothetical, random example) was doable on PC, but just not technically feasible on console, would that preclude it from ever being implemented on the PC because it would cause the games to diverge too much?

Are the platforms tied together as far as Expansions are concerned or is the console version really its own game. My concern is that the console will hold back the PC expansion's release and content.

Working on getting you an answer to that. It's a fair question, but I don't know all the details off-hand.
Reply Quote
Edited by Plywood#1527 on 4/5/2013 4:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
If a feature or NPC that would be wildly popular and beneficial to the game (pick a hypothetical, random example) was doable on PC, but just not technically feasible on console, would that preclude it from ever being implemented on the PC because it would cause the games to diverge too much?

Are the platforms tied together as far as Expansions are concerned or is the console version really its own game. My concern is that the console will hold back the PC expansion's release and content.

Working on getting you an answer to that. It's a fair question, but I don't know all the details off-hand.

I think the biggest thing is that we all feel it is unfair of all the polish and attention that PS3 is getting right now, when us PC users have been waiting and waiting. I even took a break from this game because of it and coming back because of a friends advise....and I like some of the changes, but expected a lot more.

Us PC users just feel like we are 2nd place right now to what is going on...and it is just to feel that ways.
Reply Quote

Thank you.
Reply Quote
This is so stupid, if i wanted to play with 20 players i should be able to.. and if you want to play with 4 you should be able to.. BRING BACK CUSTOM GAMES!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]