Diablo® III

Question about upcoming drop rate changes

03/18/2013 06:40 PMPosted by DoomBringer

Not Sure exactly where You are going with the question though.

Worried about the economy? The value of items?

You think that players should do more shopping/crafting and less farming?

Farming all day to hopefully find that really good item is kinda the nature of a diablo game.

I was saying this:

If their goal is to make rare items rare, they should to get rid of guaranteed rare drops else, rare items are not rare. If they keep guaranteed rare drop, people are going to farm VotA all day long. They are increasing the monster density to have us do more areas --- not restrain us to only high density (of elite) areas :o

I'm not worried about the economy since I don't really care about it.

I practically said the same thing as before D:

There will most likely still be a guaranteed drop of rare items, but seeing that their plan is to reduce the garbage and increase quality while reducing the amount that drops, my perception would be decreasing the guaranteed amount. as of right now im seeing anywhere from 2-4 rares drop, so maybe 1-2 per pack at 5 stacks. maybe just 1.

i would be perfectly fine with 1 guarantee, hell maybe even just a 50% chance as long as im guaranteed that it would be at-least average/ above average with a higher chance to roll epic stats rather then 14 inventory's of utter crap.
Reply Quote
I was saying this:If their goal is to make rare items rare, they should to get rid of guaranteed rare drops else, rare items are not rare.

I see. Took me a bit to understand because Rare doesnt mean rare in a diablo game. It hasnt meant that in a long time and still doesnt. Guess I was stuck in the diablo meaning of "rare".

But to answer your question. Rare(items) are going to be common no matter what eventually, because of the fact that players are going to "farm them all day" in whatever area has the most density. Or whatever is the most efficient way of farming them.
Reply Quote
82 Orc Death Knight
So, if an item is currently worth 2k gold, and I find 20 of them in a run.

Now I'll find 5 items in a run, that means each will be worth 8k gold right?

Somehow I am highly skeptical.
Reply Quote
Thanks for clearing that up Travis, good news you guys have thought about this.

Your effort on the forums along with designing are much appreciated.
Reply Quote
As designers part of our job is to understand and be aware of the ripples caused by changes we make. Reducing the drop rate of items in the future will certainly impact the rate at which players acquire gold and crafting materials and we will adjust values where necessary to compensate for this.

Will rare packs/bosses still have guaranteed rare drop with 4-5 stacks? If that remains, people are just going to farm locations with high density of elites all day long =/

Which is what you do in any ARPG, farm the best places with the highest chances for dropping loot. Not really sure what your getting at here.

EDIT : Its been clarified, my apologies.
Edited by Torqbow#1421 on 3/18/2013 7:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/18/2013 05:38 PMPosted by Travis Day
As designers part of our job is to understand and be aware of the ripples caused by changes we make. Reducing the drop rate of items in the future will certainly impact the rate at which players acquire gold and crafting materials and we will adjust values where necessary to compensate for this.

Thanks for ther answer!
Reply Quote
With reduced droprates I am honestly thinking about quitting.. (that should make some people happy). I wish this game would have been better. It's ok. Good even.. But it's still a step down from D2 for me.

In D2 I found a Unique about every 10 minutes.. in D3 it's more like every 2 hours. I only play 2 hours in a day if I am lucky. Currently there are many days where I don't even find a legendary. Now they want to reduce that. And we still need brimstones so its likely that the ones I do find after a reduced rate will simply be a brimstone anyway.

So reduce the randomness but reduce the droprate.. You might as well have left it alone as it doesn't sound like anything will be changing. Granted I haven't played it yet and time will tell. But currently it just sounds depressing.
Reply Quote
And our favorite Treasure Goblin just appears again from nowhere.

Thanks Travis.
Looking forward to see the new changes in itemization. :)
Reply Quote
Hurray, answer! Now when do we start !@#$%ing about the weird passive-aggressive couching of the response!? "Oh ho ho we are designers it's our JOOOOOB to understand everything!"

Just joshin' yah!
Reply Quote

So are you the new dev lead? I hope so. I really like what I've read thusfar.
Reply Quote
03/18/2013 05:43 PMPosted by DoomBringer
Will rare packs/bosses still have guaranteed rare drop with 4-5 stacks? If that remains, people are just going to farm locations with high density of elites all day long =/

I asked this question specifically in the "Ask the Devs" thread last week.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8197580149?page=8#151

Here's to hoping we both get our answer soon. =P
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile

This is very good to hear. The drops, even the blues, have been a major source of income for me, with the obvious caveat that I sacrifice crafting materials in the process. But they're still a source of income nonetheless.

Reply Quote
03/14/2013 02:59 PMPosted by Snoofo
ith the reduced drop rate for rates planned for rares, considering vendoring is a source of income for some, is there any plan to increase the price in which they are vendored for to compensate?

I"ve brought this up over 400 times now... they know... and they will be compensating...
Reply Quote
RE: guaranteed rare for 4/5 stack.

Just incase you guys don't know it. the guaranteed rare is 4 affix.

you literally exhaust all possible rolls at (Legendary, 6 affix, 5 affix) for all possible drop slots, then you get a bone thrown at you and its a 4 affix rare.

meaning: pretty much auto salvage.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
03/18/2013 09:01 PMPosted by chrisloup
Just incase you guys don't know it. the guaranteed rare is 4 affix.

It's a base four affix item. It can roll more affixes at the same odds of other items rolling more affixes (which is not good). I've had several five affix "guaranteed" rares, and a relative few six affix versions. Most aren't worth the pixels used to display them, but they do exist.

Reply Quote
With reduced droprates I am honestly thinking about quitting.. (that should make some people happy). I wish this game would have been better. It's ok. Good even.. But it's still a step down from D2 for me.

In D2 I found a Unique about every 10 minutes.. in D3 it's more like every 2 hours. I only play 2 hours in a day if I am lucky. Currently there are many days where I don't even find a legendary. Now they want to reduce that. And we still need brimstones so its likely that the ones I do find after a reduced rate will simply be a brimstone anyway.

So reduce the randomness but reduce the droprate.. You might as well have left it alone as it doesn't sound like anything will be changing. Granted I haven't played it yet and time will tell. But currently it just sounds depressing.

Don't forget this is an entire itemization change. Not only will they drop the rate (which will help lower the supply of brimstone like legendaries) but they will be improving the stats and function on ALL legendary. This will mean when you find one it will 99% likely not be brimstone instead of 99% likely to be brimstone (current) or so we hope around those ratios..hell even 50% would be amazing at this point.
Reply Quote

Don't forget this is an entire itemization change. Not only will they drop the rate (which will help lower the supply of brimstone like legendaries) but they will be improving the stats and function on ALL legendary. This will mean when you find one it will 99% likely not be brimstone instead of 99% likely to be brimstone (current) or so we hope around those ratios..hell even 50% would be amazing at this point.

Only will happen in the first week and same as today in the second week. Once eveybody get improving, Nothing change.
Edited by MADTHUNDER2#3452 on 3/18/2013 11:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Travis I want a Treasure goblin Icon like yours!
Reply Quote
very funny to hear the dev talk like that, yet knowing what AH ding to the game and not to make adjustemnt...very funny.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]