Diablo® III

WD convert asking advice

Hello WD gurus.

Main char is a wiz so I had a bunch of int gear stashed up and finally got my WD to 60. Threw the gear on and started launching zombie bears. I must say WOW it's fun compared to CM spamming on the wiz.

I have about 200 mil to spare on my WD so i'm asking what I should spend it on and how to properly allocate it to get the most bang for my buck. Obvious upgrades are pants and belt (didn't have any from wiz leftover). Should I go vita innas or double int/vit/+ AR depth diggers?

I'll grab a cheap int/armor WH maybe too?

I guess the goal is to be able to farm mp4/5 with my other WD friend and be tank enough to help with mp10 ubers while still doing some dmg.

I've seen some zombie bear youtube videos where the WD is doing mad dmg.

Any help with build/gear is much appreciated.
Reply Quote
View profile
Pants: Either vit / socketed or double vit / int rolled Blackthornes or rares

Belt: WH obviously

Weapon: You want a different one with lower aps and LS on it. EF's are not optimal for WD's unless you just want to break into the top 10 dps and dont care about surviving with LS. With you running zuni and tal's... a black weapon would be best but you might find luck with a Socketed Manajuma Knife since they are readily available and more affordable. (they come with high CD / LS / int already)

Chest: Tal's is not optimal for WD either... especially bear doc. You want a zuni chest... preferably one with 170+ int and 250+ vit.

Mojo Do not underestimate the power of zombie charger reduction with a bear build. Since you will be completing the 4 pc with the zuni above... you can swap your mojo for a higher avg dmg mojo with some zombie charger reducton. Uhkapian Serpent is a cheap one to look for since they roll 9+ cc, high avg dmg, and can roll zombie charger reduction pretty easily. With your aps, zombie charger reduction is more important than mana regen... but having both would be best.
Edited by ofgortens#1113 on 3/14/2013 12:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I only have one thing to add since Ofgortens took all my talking points haha. You should look to get CC on your ammy whether its tal's or not. But with 200 mil you should be able to get all the things Ofgortens suggested along with a CC tals ammy.
Reply Quote
Thank you both for your help. Going to shop AH tonight and see what I can find. I will gear up and report back tomorrow.

Thanks again guys!
Reply Quote
I made some upgrades last night.

Health is 46,177
All resis - 725
CHC - 48.5
CHD - 438
DPS - 165
Armor - 4648

So now my question is did I do ok and what do I still need to improve?

Also, i'm noticing i'm running out of mana a lot on elites. I'm using the mana spiders but it's still running low. Is my build setup correctly?

Thanks for any help.
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7710222741#1

If you plan on running Bears, I would give this guide a read (apologies for the narcissism of recommending something I wrote). It contains information that will help you make an informed decision on how you want to gear for your ZC-ZB WD. I am an advocate of keeping your IAS as low as possible if you pair a 1H with a Mojo, but you can support a higher IAS by getting Mana Regen on your gear (Weapon, Mask, Mojo). I feel that you would benefit most by replacing the IAS affixes on your gear with Avg Damage, dropping the Tal's Chest for a Zuni, as that, and everything else Ofgortens said, is good advice.
Reply Quote
So now my question is did I do ok and what do I still need to improve?

Also, i'm noticing i'm running out of mana a lot on elites. I'm using the mana spiders but it's still running low. Is my build setup correctly?

Other than just making marginal improvements on your gear (some CC here, some Intel there), you have a pretty solid spec going. The Bear reduction on your Mojo is great, but you might want to look for one with some Max Regen on it. I would swap Greusome Feast for Vision Quest, as that passive plays very nicely with Widow Makers, in addition to making your Mana regen work even harder.

If you are running OoM, then that tells me you aren't killing fast enough for Gruesome Feast to really benefit you. Your options are to get more Mana sustainability through skills, such as I suggested above, or drop the MP you are playing on until your DPS can see better returns with Gruesome Feast.
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7710222741#1

If you plan on running Bears, I would give this guide a read (apologies for the narcissism of recommending something I wrote). It contains information that will help you make an informed decision on how you want to gear for your ZC-ZB WD. I am an advocate of keeping your IAS as low as possible if you pair a 1H with a Mojo, but you can support a higher IAS by getting Mana Regen on your gear (Weapon, Mask, Mojo). I feel that you would benefit most by replacing the IAS affixes on your gear with Avg Damage, dropping the Tal's Chest for a Zuni, as that, and everything else Ofgortens said, is good advice.

Based off Ofgortens advice last night I geared accordingly. The Tal's is gone (see my profile). Where can I grab some mana regen as I've already spent quite a bit on the chest, knife, mojo, and helm?

I'll check check out the guide now.

Since this build is based on low IAS im assuming it's not the best build for low PL XP farming? I'm coming from a wizard and I can just swap skills from CM to archon and beast through low mp lvls when I feel like grinding. Is this a possibility with the WD?

I apologize for all of the questions i'm just trying to learn the ins and outs of WD as i'm finding it super fun to play and it's really making life easier on my carpal tunnel from the wiz.

Thanks in advance!
Reply Quote
Other than just making marginal improvements on your gear (some CC here, some Intel there), you have a pretty solid spec going. The Bear reduction on your Mojo is great, but you might want to look for one with some Max Regen on it. I would swap Greusome Feast for Vision Quest, as that passive plays very nicely with Widow Makers, in addition to making your Mana regen work even harder.

If you are running OoM, then that tells me you aren't killing fast enough for Gruesome Feast to really benefit you. Your options are to get more Mana sustainability through skills, such as I suggested above, or drop the MP you are playing on until your DPS can see better returns with Gruesome Feast.

Will do. I'll swap to vision quest.

Also, are the zombie dogs doing me any good? Should I change that skill to hex/jinx?

Do you run big bad voodoo?
Reply Quote
03/15/2013 07:46 AMPosted by pensfan080
I'll check check out the guide now.

Comment on that thread and let me know what you thought.

Since this build is based on low IAS im assuming it's not the best build for low PL XP farming? I'm coming from a wizard and I can just swap skills from CM to archon and beast through low mp lvls when I feel like grinding. Is this a possibility with the WD?

I am not an expert on low-level speed farming, but yes it can be done. A lot of guys run a Rain of Toads and Acid Cloud Build for large group nuking. The build I describe and play myself is high-monster power sustained damage spec, as I spend all my time in MP8+, abd I doubt it is the fastest for low MP speed farming. Again, there are people who know much more about that style of play than me.

I apologize for all of the questions i'm just trying to learn the ins and outs of WD as i'm finding it super fun to play and it's really making life easier on my carpal tunnel from the wiz.

No need for apologies. The number of high-end people who enjoy giving quality advice to those just getting started is high in our Forums, and is why I think we have one of the best Class Communities.
Reply Quote
03/15/2013 08:04 AMPosted by EddardStark
Comment on that thread and let me know what you thought

Will do!!

I am not an expert on low-level speed farming, but yes it can be done. A lot of guys run a Rain of Toads and Acid Cloud Build for large group nuking. The build I describe and play myself is high-monster power sustained damage spec, as I spend all my time in MP8+, abd I doubt it is the fastest for low MP speed farming. Again, there are people who know much more about that style of play than me.

Its just a thought as i'm not really interested in farming with this build. I want to make a solid WD that can pump out massive amounts of dmg on uber runs so your bear guide is right up my alley. We have another decent CM wiz in our group so I thought i'd make a WD to help with the dmg.

You've probably already answered my build setup questions from last post by now as I was typing this so thanks again for the help. Going to change setup today and fire up mp8 and see how I do.
Reply Quote
03/15/2013 08:10 AMPosted by pensfan080
We have another decent CM wiz in our group so I thought i'd make a WD to help with the dmg.

The biggest favors you can do for your friends in that regard: Mass Confusion + Paranoia or Big Bad Voodoo + Slam Dance. Alternatively, you could put them both together for a massive amount of burst damage for your whole group. Be patient until your Wiz has the mob freeze-locked, drop BBV and/or MC under his/her feet, and starting spamming those bears.
Edited by EddardStark#1833 on 3/15/2013 8:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
03/15/2013 08:52 AMPosted by EddardStark
The biggest favors you can do for your friends in that regard: Mass Confusion + Paranoia or Big Bad Voodoo + Slam Dance. Alternatively, you could put them both together for a massive amount of burst damage for your whole group. Be patient until your Wiz has the mob freeze-locked, drop BBV and/or MC under his/her feet, and starting spamming those bears.

got it.
Reply Quote
Based off Ofgortens advice last night I geared accordingly.

Man...ofgorten doing multi task. He was farming with me last night and when did have time to also give you an advice?

Anyway, good to see a fellow wiz making WD. I'm in the same shoes as you. I have a wiz that can do pretty much everything but also I wanted WD which can use my wiz gear without going through complete gear upgrades. My wiz gears are relatively solid so it can be used pretty well with my WD. What I'm finding is that mana regeneration is really important and probably more important than max mana? That's why I went from zuni helm cc to Visage helm cc for it's mana regeneration. Also, I tossed my M. carve for a black weapon (thanks to Jaetch) to take an advantage of poison damage from boots and lighting damage from helm. I maxed mana regeration and I also have soj that has max mana and zombie charger reduction which I just kept in case even though Unity should replaced it.

Overall I'm happy with my gear set up thanks to ofgorten (today is an official ofgorten praise day). Even though I spent over 1b on both Unity and Tal amulet last night, it sort of completed my wd gearing.
Edited by yodatoy#1838 on 3/15/2013 9:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
03/15/2013 09:43 AMPosted by yodatoy
Also, I tossed my M. carve for a black weapon (thanks to Jaetch) to take an advantage of poison damage from boots and lighting damage from helm.

Jaetch knows his business to be certain, but it would take a mighty Black Rare weapon indeed to outperform a high-end MCK.
Reply Quote
Yoda - Add me in game we'll do some WD XP farming sometime. And shhhhh I won't rat you out on the wiz forums if you keep this post on the down low hahahaha. GL with your build. I'm not retiring the wiz just need a break from spamming and being used for uber runs 24.7. Besides, as you know, upgrades for us are 2 bil now ugh....

Eddard/ofgortens - Thanks for all your help. Hopefully i'll be able to run with you guys some day here soon.

If you guys want to do a 4 part mp10 uber run (w me and yoda wiz) that would be pretty cool too. 2 DMG bubbles + zombie bears and perma freeze delight....my goodness would be fun too watch.....
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]