Diablo® III

[Guide] MP10 20mil CM Debunking 2.73+ AS Myth

STOP! Let's get to know each other better before going further :)

Who are you?
- One of the oldest CM Wizard still playing the game
- 1929+ hours played as Wizard
- Top D3 streamer at http://twitch.tv/zisss

Why are you posting this?
- Demand too high for sets, better to teach everyone how to fish
- Sick of gear checking failed Wizard sets forcing too much AS on a budget

The myth: CM Wizard needs 2.73+ AS to be optimal
The truth: CM Wizard needs to focus on defense and crit chance first, the rest are gravy

The real recommended AS on a budget: 2.31, this allows pretty nice freezing and play fine with only 2 pieces of apoc.

1 hour long 20mil set guide built live on stream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fMGznHdYhA

20mil set in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7fMGznHdYhA#t=3366s

Video too long? Prefer wall of text?

Focuses:

750~ AR, 4k+ armor, 42k+ HP, 45%+ Crit Chance, 2.31+ AS, 19-20 Apoc 700+ LoH

Best in slot budget items and random roll choice:

Wand: Chantodo with +0.24 or +0.25 AS, Crit Damage random roll
Source: Chantodo with +int random roll and highest avg damage
Chest: Zuni with over 350 combined stats
Boots: Zuni with over 300 combined stats, 8% Poison, physical resist
Pants: BT pants with +300~ armor, int roll, vit roll or combo roll
Belt: BT belt with 65+ AR, 170+ int (free +armor and 100 vit from set bonus)
Bracers: Lacunis with 70~ AR and int vit combo roll, NO Crit Chance
Gloves: 8%+ AS, 8.5%+ Crit Chance, 55+ AR, highest int roll
Shoulders: Vile Ward with 190+ int and 70+ vit
Head: Storm Crow with 4%+ Crit Chance, prioritize lightning damage > elite damage> LoH

Damage filters for amulet and rings: int, avg damage, socket
Amulet: 80%+ Crit Damage, 8.5%+ Crit Chance, highest damage filters
Ring 1: 7-9% AS, 4.5% Crit Chance, 60+ AR, 1 damage filter
Ring 2: 7-9% AS, 4.5% Crit Chance, 2+ damage filters

No AS on amulet because you give up 80-100% Crit damage where as on gloves and rings you only give up 30-50%

Top 3 terrible items for budget builds:

Innas pants - terrible pants comparing to BT, throwing away 300+ stats, 400+ armor, 400~ LoH, 10-12% life... need I go on?

Tals chest - Can't get huge vit roll and AR/armor on a budget, lose too much for AS even a 2 billion budget set is better off with zuni chest due to the sheer amount of stats it comes with + zuni set bonus, starts being viable at around 4b budget

Zuni ring with no Crit Chance - This one is just terrible, it's much better to give up crit on lacunis instead

That's about it, enjoy the guide and feel free to ask questions.

TLDR: watch video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fMGznHdYhA then dominate mp10 for 20mil
Edited by Ziss#1459 on 3/18/2013 11:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
You can get 2.73 with decent MIT for 20 mil I think
Reply Quote
Decent mit isn't enough, that was the whole point, people walking around with 500 AR running prismatic armor asking for gear checks...
Reply Quote
03/18/2013 11:58 AMPosted by Ziss
Decent mit isn't enough, that was the whole point, people walking around with 500 AR running prismatic armor asking for gear checks...

ya thats a fail even 600 AR is a fail imo.
Reply Quote
im new to wiz, can u explain the break point for AS that i keep hearing ppl talking about?
Reply Quote
03/18/2013 12:03 PMPosted by Kingki
im new to wiz, can u explain the break point for AS that i keep hearing ppl talking about?

Break points are attack speed points where your energy twister starts spinning faster which allowing it to hit more times per second.

Because all of the CM wizard skills are not attack speed based except for the twister, it is a waste to have your attack speed land between breakpoints.

For example:

8% attack speed ring gives you 2.31 attack speed which gives you 30 ticks energy twisters, however if you use a 9% attack speed ring with similar other stats, your DPS on your character sheet increases but your true performance doesn't change because 2.33 attack speed energy twisters still only ticks 30 times.

The next meaningful breakpoint after 2.31 is 2.51 which gives you 33 ticks on twister.
Edited by Ziss#1459 on 3/18/2013 12:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/18/2013 12:03 PMPosted by Kingki

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6794871641
Reply Quote
I am currently at the 2.73 break point for attack speed, if i dropped down to the 2.5001 break point, am i going to notice a big difference in my ability to freeze lock?
Reply Quote
@Kingki: The game registers a number of hits per second for many Channeling spells (like Disintegrate) and damage over time spells (like Wicked Wind, but not Meteor). However, the number of hits per second increases with your attack speed, but it's not linearly scalled. And intuitively that makes sense since you can only have a discrete number of hits per second. Thus, the game only increases the number of hits per second for a spell if you reach a specific attack speed threshold, or breakpoint. For Wicked Wind, you have attack speed breakpoints at 2.31aps, 2.51aps, 2.73aps, 3.01aps, and 3.33 aps.

You can read more about breakpoinst here: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6794871641 .
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Wizard)
View profile
Some of this is so relative. 600 AR is fine if you're farming MP4 or 5 with SNS.

03/18/2013 11:58 AMPosted by Ziss
people walking around with 500 AR running prismatic armor asking for gear checks...

...mostly refers to people who ask if they can start farming MP10. Or farm MP10 and ask why they die so often. And are crazy. And, are alot of people. Alot post in my SNS guide, seemingly without even reading it.....asking what their next upgrade should be....when they have 500 AR/3200 Armor. Seriously? Start reading at page one.....and read. Over and over and over and over again till you figure it out!!!

Now, perhaps the point of this [guide] should be:

"Easy to gear - tankier, more survivable SNS(?) wiz at a lower breakpoint" (for starters)

CM/SNS guide, summary of breakpoints/tickrates/mitigation discussion:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8196601796?page=1
Edited by PieHole#1628 on 3/18/2013 12:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/18/2013 12:09 PMPosted by Dudeman
I am currently at the 2.73 break point for attack speed, if i dropped down to the 2.5001 break point, am i going to notice a big difference in my ability to freeze lock?

You will notice a difference however, if you meet the defense stats I mentioned in the original post you will have no issues taking an extra hit or 2 from even the hardest mobs in the game.

Your true dps will increase and you will actually die less as well.
Reply Quote
Hmm 2.73 at a lower mp with shocking aspect

Or mp 10 with lower bp and shocking aspect.

2.31 is not going to cut it in ubers and lots of people make cm wizards for that very reason.

Farming keeps 2 or other high density areas you'll get some pull with that
Reply Quote
03/18/2013 12:09 PMPosted by Dudeman
Yes, depending on your latency, you'll notice a huge difference. 2.73aps is the difference between locking down the ubers for me with an acceptable freeze or not. I accidentally had 2.64aps the other day doing a MP10 carry and I couldn't understand why I couldn't lockdown Kulle. That is until I realized I had my wrong amulet equipped. :p
Reply Quote
Some of this is so relative. 600 AR is fine if you're farming MP4 or 5 with SNS.

Now, perhaps the point of this [guide] should be:

"Make a tankier, more survivable SNS(?) wiz at a lower breakpoint" (for starters)

Why in gods name would you wanta farm MP 4 or 5 as CM wizard when you can do mp 10 for 20mil?

Even for a 5mil set it's a waste to farm MP 4 or 5.

The point is stop wasting a ton of gold building 600 AR sets that can only farm mp 4-5 when you can build much better sets that can even tackle mp10 Ubers for cheaper.

Also those 600 AR sets are the ones that are STUCK on upgrades while if you build a solid base with my recommended defensive stats, it will be VERY easy to upgrade.
Reply Quote
Hmm 2.73 at a lower mp with shocking aspect

Or mp 10 with lower bp and shocking aspect.

2.31 is not going to cut it in ubers and lots of people make cm wizards for that very reason.

Farming keeps 2 or other high density areas you'll get some pull with that

That's incorrect, you can definitely do MP10 ubers with 2.31

People using sets I built have done them on stream, live.
Reply Quote
Well, yeah ubers are big and fat. Their gonna break your freeze anyway even at 2.73, you tank or dodge whatever attack they do then start over.

Just outta curiosity Ziss, what's your ping? I run with 90-110. I don't think I could lock a 69M HP fast yellow wasp or fallen grunt MP10 @ 2.31.
Reply Quote
My ping is pretty good 40-60, never an issue for me since I live in California. Didn't think lower AS would be an issue for guys with higher ping. Interesting.
Reply Quote
Post that video of a 2.31 cm with soloing mp 10 ubers please
Reply Quote
You're gonna have to look in here

http://www.twitch.tv/zisss/videos?kind=past_broadcasts

Check around late January to early February.

I carried over 100 Hellfire rings using 2.31 and 2.51 breakpoint.
Edited by Ziss#1459 on 3/18/2013 12:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/18/2013 12:33 PMPosted by JellzRoc
Post that video of a 2.31 cm with soloing mp 10 ubers please
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]