Diablo® III

[Guide] MP10 20mil CM Debunking 2.73+ AS Myth

Sorry for necroing once more, but I had to post here. I ended up here because some guy comes to the eu forums looking for advice for his char he built using 'one of the guides here'. 2.31 aps and less than 50% cc made me wonder what guide it was and so I ended up here.

I didn't bother reading the whole thread. I only read the first 10 pages and the last page, so forgive me if this has been pointed out already.

Some math:
Actual DPS output = sDPS * ratio
sDPS is a function of your base damage (including main stat, source and elemental bonus, etc), your cc and cd and your attack speed:
DPS = base damage * (1 + cc*cd/10000) * aps
The ratio is mainly a function of your cc, aps. Of course it also depends on the number of monsters, apoc, build and more factors, but those are not relevant for this example because they are the same in both the high aps build and low aps build. Constant C is meant to account for these. Also, I know cc and aps will actually be something like cc^k and aps^l (k>0;l>0, likely k>1;l>1 but I can't prove that), but for simplicity's sake I'll leave that out as well.
ratio = C * cc * aps
Now fill in the initial equation:
Actual DPS = base damage * (1 + cc*cd/10000) * aps * C * cc * aps

The key here is understand that your actual DPS scales with aps^2 and cc^2. This means dropping aps and cc is quite harmful to your actual DPS, and that you would need shiploads of base damage and cd to make up for it.

Sure, if you're just starting out and spend you first couple of mills on your cmww wizard you might go for a big int/cd/ad roll and your actual DPS might improve, but as soon as your budget exceeds 10m cc and as are the way to go. Once you got your as and cc properly set up you can start adding cd to improve your sDPS.
Edited by Rayquorz#2628 on 9/24/2013 4:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III (Wizard)
View profile
Once you exceed 10M, check out my guide for CM....page linked below.
Reply Quote
View profile
If you take 2 wizards with equal sheet DPS and different APS, the one with lower APS will generally do more eDPS than the one with higher APS when you have many twisters hitting many mobs because EB will be resetting just as fast in both situations and the EB on the lower APS wiz will hit harder because he has more weapon damage. Lower APS becomes less effective when you only have one mob left because it is more difficult to lock it down (especially if it's a small mobile target like a fallen grunt or a wasp) and, in many cases, it can leave you starved for AP which means missed casts of EB and WW.

So, from a pure functionality and "feel" perspective, higher APS wins. For shedding large piles of trash mobs and blue packs, low APS should kill faster. To me, SNS is all about being able to tackle any enemy in the game and the only thing you have to ever change is the frost nova rune (DF for high density farming, BC for bosses), so it's 2.73 or bust for this dude.
Reply Quote
09/24/2013 08:10 AMPosted by ChangBooster
If you take 2 wizards with equal sheet DPS and different APS, the one with lower APS will generally do more eDPS than the one with higher APS when you have many twisters hitting many mobs because EB will be resetting just as fast in both situations and the EB on the lower APS wiz will hit harder because he has more weapon damage.

This is actually the first sensible argument supporting Ziss' point that I hear. But yeah, I agree with you that, in general, higher aps wins.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]