Diablo® III

Why the ruby in the manticore...?

So... why do the top dh's slap a ruby in with a emerald in two-socket manticores? Is there a crit or attack speed breakpoint where it starts to make sense?

I uploaded my dh into d3up but I couldn't figure out how to check a ruby versus an emerald to see what worked for me.

Thanks.
Reply Quote
Ruby will not work with your manticore cos it has no +ED%.
Reply Quote
@Ripper:
Once you've loaded up your profile on D3up, select "Change/Compare Items" in the dropdown above your gear list.

Scroll down to your Manticore and hit "Simulate"

Once you do this, you'll note that it's treating your ungemmed sockets as no sockets at all. So for the dropdown for "Sockets" change it to 2. Now you can edit the gems that you want to try in those sockets.

It looks like at the Radiant Star level 2 Emeralds gives you 3606 dps over 1 Ruby and 1 Emerald.
At the Marquise level, 1 M. Ruby and 1 M. Emerald is a whopping 374 dps better than 2 M. Emeralds ;)

As TasteDeath mentions, the reason the Rubies are less awesome for you than for some others is the lack of Enhanced Damage (+x% damage) on your weapon, as that enhancement also applies to the damage added by the Ruby.
Edited by Tiakatt#1643 on 3/18/2013 7:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
There are Manticores out there with 40%+ damage modifiers. There are also ones with only poison or low %dmg modifiers. Only the ones with 40%+ damage modifiers are worth putting rubies in. You'd have to get a different Manticore for the ruby to be good for you.
Reply Quote
It isn't as simple as saying >40% -> use a ruby and an emerald, <40% use 2 emeralds. There are many factors that affect the cutoff such as critical hit chance, critical hit damage, min/max damage, elemental bonus % damage, etc. Use a DPS calculator like d3up or d3rawr to make an informed decision for your own character. Also, if you rely on Companion and Sentry for a significant portion of damage, consider rubies more as those skills cannot critically hit and therefore gain no bonus from emeralds.
Reply Quote
It isn't as simple as saying >40% -> use a ruby and an emerald, <40% use 2 emeralds. There are many factors that affect the cutoff such as critical hit chance, critical hit damage, min/max damage, elemental bonus % damage, etc. Use a DPS calculator like d3up or d3rawr to make an informed decision for your own character. Also, if you rely on Companion and Sentry for a significant portion of damage, consider rubies more as those skills cannot critically hit and therefore gain no bonus from emeralds.

I was making a generalization when I said >40%. I didn't mean that was an absolute number to go off. Obviously you want to use a calc to make a comparison. But it is obvious with a 0% dmg modifier that a ruby won't be useful, but once you hit ~40% there's a good chance you're going to be better off with a ruby.
Reply Quote
Thanks for your advice about the weapon%. Didn't know about this. I will switch my non-weapon damage % manticore from 1 ruby 1 emerald to 2 emeralds now.
Reply Quote
Yes, thanks indeed guys. All the information was helpful. I actually searched the site and this was by far the best answer. Preesh.
Reply Quote
Has anyone tried two rubies?
Reply Quote
im using two rubies, tried all combination, and turns out for my setup and having +50% weapon dmg, two rubies get really good boost from this bonus which outruns the crit damages. also, i expect all my hits to hit a target and heal me enough, so non-crit damage is important for me.
Reply Quote
04/27/2013 08:55 AMPosted by XCelR8
Has anyone tried two rubies?

Two rubies is only useful if you have the % damage modifier on the weapon and even then, it is limited in use for:

A) if you have a really low critical hit rate (<20%) or really high critical hit damage (>400%)
B) if you focus on damage from sources which cannot critically hit (e.g. Companion and Sentry).
Reply Quote
I have perfect damage modifier and my DPS is highest with the Ruby/Emerald combo. Some good posts in the this thread, glad some of you guys understand how the math works.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]