Diablo® III

Frequent disconnects, wits end!

I recently returned to Diablo 3, just about the time of patch 1.07 I think it was.

Since my return I have been plagued by constant disconnects. Sometimes I get a specific error message, and other times I get nothing other than being rather unceremoniously dumped onto the login screen with a dialog box telling me I've been disconnected.

I've read just about every other post related to this problem, be they here or offsite. So far I've done the following, all without success:

• Reinstalled the game, twice (On two different drives)
  • Updated my drivers
  • Switched from a wired connection to my WiFi, and back again
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled all of my networking related hardware
  • Reset the router
  • Reinstalled my operating system
  • IP Release/Rewnew/DNS Flush
  • Routed my DNS to an alternate source (Google's in this case, as I read in a blue post somewhere that some had success with that)
  • Keep myself connected to "General Chat" at all times, and even sometimes participate in it despite my usual antisocial tendencies
  • Deleted the "Blizzard Entertainment" cache folder in my "/ProgramData" directory.
  • Reset my Battle.net password

This problem occurs whether I'm playing solo, or with someone else and is frequent enough to make it impractical to continue playing. It happens regardless of whether I'm in town selling, playing in the field, or tinkering on the AH.

I've done the tracert tests suggested in several related threads, but analyzing them is beyond me. Though just looking at them I have gathered there definitely seems to be a problem since every tracert I perform, on both my wired and wifi connections, hits "Request timed out" at hop 15 and every hop thereafter.

So, with all that, if there's any further direction anyone can provide I'd greatly appreciate it. I'd prefer to keep playing and get my $60 worth as opposed to just deleting it from my computer and not looking back, but I think I'm getting pretty close to that point.

Thank you.
Reply Quote
I think the games designed to not want you to play, to keep non botters/ah people off.
I didnt play since August. Came back 2 weeks ago. Wa actually enjoying it. 1.07a patch, oh look constant disconnects and frame drops. Even with in game counter reporting 60fps, it feels to me a smooth 30. Bad.
Reply Quote
So this just sits here for 10 days with only one response, and that being from conspiracy theorist?

That's fantastic.

Problem still persists, by the way.
Edited by Alexander#1155 on 3/29/2013 3:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
ddos + main internet line cut ... both in news on google.

out of blizzards control and in the hands of isp's im guessing.

i'm getting the same thing, and thats the best ive been able to come up with.

hopefully people will get it fixed soon.
Reply Quote

Yeah, here is one such news article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/27/technology/internet/online-dispute-becomes-internet-snarling-attack.html?_r=0

It appears that people who live on the west coast aren't affected by this. I was watching d3_inigomontoya on twitch (yeah, i know, multiboxer dude lol), and I mentioned the fact that I was getting constant disconnects in his chat, and he responded and said on his stream that he has been having NO issues with disconnects at all these last couple of weeks like we have! I am watching him right now live and he's doing his thing with no issues!

So, it does appear that there could be something well outside of blizzard's control going on here. What's weird is that when I personally do a traceroute to blizzard's servers, I don't see anything weird until I ACTUALLY REACH the attens.net servers (blizzard's servers/providers).

That's what is so frustrating and confusing about this! if I don't see negatives on a trace UNTIL I get to attens.net, then why are people in california (and other parts of the country) NOT affected by this, like others are?

Who know's... all questions for smarter people than I. I just want it fixed :)

Thankfully, I have a large poker game planned for this weekend or I would freaking go insane ! :D
Edited by nastyn8#1465 on 3/29/2013 7:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
It's all good and well if it's outside Bliiz's control. So why not release a statement explaining that?

Its frustrating for all players (especially daily players) to have to go through this.
Reply Quote
i dont understand what happend last few days! i playing from Ukraine because i am in travel now, and i have a lot of lags and disconnects, not like before

and WinMRT show me that there is a lot of data loss on the
attens.net

... fix this pls
Reply Quote

No, it's not because of the DDoS/Line cut. While that certainly doesn't help matters I'm sure, this issue exists for people well outside of that particular event.

If you look at the date of my post you'll see that I've had this issue since before the DDoS and line cut issues.

As I, and many others have explained in similar posts (No, I don't expect you to research my posts. I explain this only to demonstrate why I'm dismissing the DDoS/Line Cut as the cause), some of us have had this recurring issue for a long time. For some of us, like me, all the way back to the launch of the game. It was the reason I left the game from about a month after launch until a few weeks ago. I came back and still have the same issue.

That, despite all new network equipment, and a new ISP. Never mind the fact that this issue only affects my Diablo 3. Nothing else about my activity on the internet, or even other Blizzard games, is slowed down, disconnected, or otherwise affected.

A basic search of "Error 3007" will help illustrate how long this issue how affected people and the myriad ways people have attempted to solve it.

I guess we just get to continue to wait, and hope.
Reply Quote
its really annoying....
Edited by QuadroTony#2481 on 3/30/2013 6:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote

No, it's not because of the DDoS/Line cut. While that certainly doesn't help matters I'm sure, this issue exists for people well outside of that particular event.

If you look at the date of my post you'll see that I've had this issue since before the DDoS and line cut issues.

Hrm.. that is interesting. I, however, have only been experiencing this issue for the last week or so. Never had any issues up until now... which is why I thought it could be related to something outside of Blizzard's control. But, it does irk me that everyone seems to trace just fine until they hit the attens.net servers. Which, as you say, could very well be within Blizzard's control to fix. I just don't know who OWNS those servers. "att"ens.net, eg AT&T, is likely Blizzard's provider for the bnet servers. So, I trust that Blizzard is currently working with AT&T (or whoever) to resolve this horrid crap. Who Blizzard chooses as a provider IS within their control, so if there is an issue that they cannot directly fix themselves, but CAN control by choosing another provider, I could see why this is a bit "sticky" with regards to releasing a statement to us, the gamer.

Again, whatever this is... they had better be working on it.

People on the west coast do not seem to be affected, but for many of us, the game is obviously completely unplayable...
Reply Quote
03/30/2013 07:23 AMPosted by nastyn8
People on the west coast do not seem to be affected, but for many of us, the game is obviously completely unplayable...

Some of us on the west coast are affected. I live in San Diego, and I'm affected by this, have been for a long time now.

I too fail the traceroute at that "attens.net" address.
Reply Quote
03/30/2013 07:26 AMPosted by Alexander

Some of us on the west coast are affected. I live in San Diego, and I'm affected by this, have been for a long time now.

I too fail the traceroute at that "attens.net" address.

Okay, now THAT is interesting! Thank you for the post.

I wonder how some streamers, eg. D3_inigomontoya on twitch (this guy lives in Washington state) are not affected by this. He replied to me last night and said that he has not had one disconnect in since the latest maintenance. Very interesting. Makes no sense!

Assume he would have to be connecting to the very same attens.net servers that we all are...! :(
Reply Quote
I am having this problem as well. I get my 5 NV (playing solo act 3) and then I DC for no reason. WW barb and it has been happening for days. Hard to farm when I get DC'ed all the time. It only happens when I am playing solo.
Edited by Sapien#1344 on 3/30/2013 9:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
ONLY HAPPENS WHEN PLAYING SOLO

That is very interesting as well.

Need to try to join up a rando game or something, see if that helps i guess.

I always farm solo tho - I love my Templar :<
Reply Quote
not only when playing solo
ive noticed some times this in party
also with lag while sending message
Edited by QuadroTony#2481 on 3/30/2013 9:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
not only when playing solo
ive noticed some times this in party
also with lag while sending message

YEP - confirmed. Playing in a game with other people did NOT help one bit.

Just joined a party with a buddy and tried to play - got to 5 stack (5-6 minutes or so, which is rare for me) and got booted. I re-joined his game, was able to play for only 1.5 minutes and booted again.

Tried again - and was booted after 30 seconds.

So, now here is the interesting thing. My friend never got booted. He lives in San Francisco area. I live in Oklahoma.

I had him do a traceroute to bnet servers and he got the exact same results I got. All good up until attens.net servers and then constant timeouts. Just boggles me that, with the same trace results, he is able to play and not be disconnected like I am.
Reply Quote
On some days I get no disconnects whatsoever, yet today for instance I have had 3 in 20 minutes or so.

No Error 3007 or anything like that, just booted from the game I am in. I can join straight away but have lost my nephalem. It's like I have been booted from the actual game servers.
Reply Quote
I've done the tracert tests suggested in several related threads, but analyzing them is beyond me. Though just looking at them I have gathered there definitely seems to be a problem since every tracert I perform, on both my wired and wifi connections, hits "Request timed out" at hop 15 and every hop thereafter.

i think you have misunderstood the meaning of the tracert.

here is the last section of a tracert i just did.
12 83 ms 84 ms 84 ms cr2.dlstx.ip.att.net [12.122.212.14]
13 85 ms 83 ms 83 ms cr2.la2ca.ip.att.net [12.122.28.178]
14 118 ms 79 ms 81 ms gar29.la2ca.ip.att.net [12.122.129.241]
15 82 ms 81 ms 82 ms 12-122-254-238.attens.net [12.122.254.238]
16 82 ms 81 ms 82 ms mdf001c7613r0004-gig-10-1.lax1.attens.net [12.129.193.250]
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

now normally "*" means a drop in the connection. however, in this case its just because the bliz servers dont respont to this kind of network request. so you will always get "timed out" when it hits the bliz servers.

aside from that its not too hard to read. number on the left is the hop count, the middle 3 are the latency in milliseconds, and the right is the IP being routed through.
Reply Quote
On some days I get no disconnects whatsoever, yet today for instance I have had 3 in 20 minutes or so.

No Error 3007 or anything like that, just booted from the game I am in. I can join straight away but have lost my nephalem. It's like I have been booted from the actual game servers.
Reply Quote
03/30/2013 11:19 PMPosted by Morogoth

i think you have misunderstood the meaning of the tracert.

here is the last section of a tracert i just did.
12 83 ms 84 ms 84 ms cr2.dlstx.ip.att.net [12.122.212.14]
13 85 ms 83 ms 83 ms cr2.la2ca.ip.att.net [12.122.28.178]
14 118 ms 79 ms 81 ms gar29.la2ca.ip.att.net [12.122.129.241]
15 82 ms 81 ms 82 ms 12-122-254-238.attens.net [12.122.254.238]
16 82 ms 81 ms 82 ms mdf001c7613r0004-gig-10-1.lax1.attens.net [12.129.193.250]
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

now normally "*" means a drop in the connection. however, in this case its just because the bliz servers dont respont to this kind of network request. so you will always get "timed out" when it hits the bliz servers.

aside from that its not too hard to read. number on the left is the hop count, the middle 3 are the latency in milliseconds, and the right is the IP being routed through.

This gentleman is correct.

Guys, I now think that these issues are SPEC related.

Need more time to test - but I realized that the disconnects didn't start with the latest server maintenance - they started when I changed my spec most recently!

Blizzard has admitted to some certain skill combinations causing these disconnects (Barb WW), but I believe there are some Monk combinations as well that do this.

Try changing your spec back to something that you used to run with, and see if the issues don't stop. Like I said, I have only tested this minimally thus far, but was able to get my first full run in yesterday after like 4-5 days of pounding my head against the wall with these disconnects.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]