Diablo® III

[Video] - MP10 CotA farming w/ Cyclone Strike

- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Hey everyone! I will probably write some about this spec in my Tempest Rush Compendium, but as it is not a strict "TR" build, I figured I would devote a new topic to it where people can ask questions and get answers!

Video:
http://youtu.be/AUQAGepff84

Content:
I talk a bit about my spec, why I choose certain abilities and then detail a couple variations on the spec.

As always, I am more than happy to answer questions so feel free to leave them here! :D

Contact info:
twitter.com/DruinTheHappy
youtube.com/Druin13

<3

-Druin, the happy monk
Edited by Druin#1518 on 10/1/2013 3:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
cool i'll watch this later after I finish some of my work = )
Reply Quote
lol I am famous my whisper is in your inbox at start

btw if I knew you your making a vid I woulda left you in peace
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
lol I am famous my whisper is in your inbox at start

btw if I knew you your making a vid I woulda left you in peace

I waited for you to stop distracting me before I made it! ;)

I thought about blotting out chat but that ruins the feel of the movie ... so fame it is!
Reply Quote
I just want to say that I've tried this run (not much) and I got the checkpoint at CotA without visiting Warrior's Rest. The order you collect the orbs (I don't pick up either one) doesn't impact the quest that I have seen.

I did -once- go to Cota and the checkpoint didn't register or at least there was no portal on resuming the game, but every other time I've tried it the checkpoint came without doing Warrior's Rest first.
Reply Quote
I just want to say that I've tried this run (not much) and I got the checkpoint at CotA without visiting Warrior's Rest. The order you collect the orbs (I don't pick up either one) doesn't impact the quest that I have seen.

I did -once- go to Cota and the checkpoint didn't register or at least there was no portal on resuming the game, but every other time I've tried it the checkpoint came without doing Warrior's Rest first.

Yeah I never get the other orb, and the run still works. But perhaps it's somewhat glitchy. I've been doing COTA runs for some xp/demonics to change up from my scorpion/spear chucker mp10 runs. Switch my gloves and aura and I'm right in it. I don't have as much all resists as you do, so things like plagued mess me up if I'm not constantly moving with TR/Bells so I like that spec for more survivability in the COTA.

Scorps enjoy 20+ spirit regen per second for sure.
Reply Quote
I watched the video. It was great! :D
also nice to put a face to a name.

Excellent work Druin ^_^
Reply Quote
yea I forgot nice vid druin and you explain it in real time

better than making vid than adding in commentary later I think
Reply Quote
I'm still liking my CotA builds more than either of the three builds from Druin, even though I like watching Druin play his specs. I think there's just way too much of a play-style difference between us, even though we play with the same class in fairly similar gear (though my AR is a little lower). The gameplay looks SO different, it's almost like playing a different class :P

I think the most interesting thing here is the number of specs that can be used for CotA farming. There's literally so many specs that can be used by the monk class, which makes it really nice compared to other classes.

Been busy doing some other stuff, but I'll try to upload my version of CotA runs as well as my updated exp run build sometime later this week :)
Reply Quote
Druin, is the run, strictly for monks who reached paragon 100?
Reply Quote
Tianzi, how much spirit regen do you have fully buffed, do you use templar? I need to upgrade my gloves while keeping all resists, but I'll look into trying your style versus Druin's. My Xephyr might clear up one of the spirit regen passives too, currently using STI for survive-ability but with ascension it might not be necessary. Never would've thought to use the stun rune on the bell.
Reply Quote
03/20/2013 01:51 AMPosted by Tyrion

i lold.

druin don't let your ego get ya like all those lame fotm streamers that bait views with "LEGENDARY GIVEAWAY". forum assisiting is great--however crosssing the threshold into streaming is where most fall victim to the almightly ad revenue or the cunning egotistical stroking.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
I'm still liking my CotA builds more than either of the three builds from Druin, even though I like watching Druin play his specs. I think there's just way too much of a play-style difference between us, even though we play with the same class in fairly similar gear (though my AR is a little lower). The gameplay looks SO different, it's almost like playing a different class :P

I think the most interesting thing here is the number of specs that can be used for CotA farming. There's literally so many specs that can be used by the monk class, which makes it really nice compared to other classes.

Been busy doing some other stuff, but I'll try to upload my version of CotA runs as well as my updated exp run build sometime later this week :)

As I find myself doing quite often these days, I agree with you 100% TianZi!

I think we must have different playstyles and that just makes me happy. It's cool to know that the way you PLAY the game and not just the items you buy/skills you use can actually be a determining factor in things. Makes me want to get better! :D

I also love that CotA can be farmed by so many specs. I mean it's totally farmable for both 2h users and d/w which, all on its own, is fantastic!

03/20/2013 01:51 AMPosted by Tyrion

Nope!

It happens to be relatively low xp/hr and it benefits greatly from "inherent" Magic Find which you get from Paragon levels. This means that you will get the most benefit from CotA at plvl100.

That being said, I know many many many many many people who are not plvl100 and are having a splendid time watching the pillars of light rain from the sky in CotA on MP10 all the way down to MP5! :D

i lold.

druin don't let your ego get ya like all those lame fotm streamers that bait views with "LEGENDARY GIVEAWAY". forum assisiting is great--however crosssing the threshold into streaming is where most fall victim to the almightly ad revenue or the cunning egotistical stroking.

Well, I can't make any promises, as I do absolutely ADORE attention.... ;)

However, my goal as a streamer is to be an entertainer (otherwise why stream?!) and if giving away loot is entertaining, I will certainly do it.

That being said, I have always and will always believe that honesty is the best path to success in the long run so you will never see me providing gimmicks to get viewers. If my viewers don't love the content I provide, I am doing it wrong.

<3
Reply Quote
Well done videos, Druin!

Now you need to come to the dark side and experiment without Sweeping Wind ;) though I'd recommend ~250k+ dps before trying and probably only efficient for a nuke build with WoL.
Edited by blhotz#1823 on 3/20/2013 3:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Well done vidoes, Druin!

Now you need to come to the dark side and experiment without Sweeping Wind ;) though I'd recommend ~250k+ dps before trying and probably only efficient for a nuke build with WoL.

No joke, I was just playing around with this idea the other day!!!!

My problems with dropping SW are:
1. I adore the 3 spir/sec from inner storm
2. It actually helps a LOT with sustain due to constant AoE damage

If there is a flex spot in my build right now it is that SW slot though ... I would think Serenity (as you have in your build right now) would be one of the #1 candidates for replacing SW as it would remove the "loss of sustain" problem and it would let me switch to TR in CotA ...

WE SHALL SEE! :D
Reply Quote
@blhotz
why would you want to drop SW? I can't see the point when it is such a great "utility" skill where you "can activate and forget". especially considering that it could be up to 50% of your single target dps, it would take a lot to swap it out.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
@blhotz
why would you want to drop SW? I can't see the point when it is such a great "utility" skill where you "can activate and forget". especially considering that it could be up to 50% of your single target dps, it would take a lot to swap it out.

I know it sounds crazy ... but the skill just keeps getting LESS effective the more they push the "spirit spender" idea.

I get the VAST majority of my spirit in CotA from Rising Tide crits and EP explosions. I would probably barely notice the loss of 3 spir/sec (PvT has ditched spir/sec on his gear all together) and the damage, while nice, is a LOT less than the damage from CS + EP + CW.

Taking Serenity in its place would let me use TR instead of DS (which I currently use to avoid lasers, molten, vortex, frozen) AND I could kill RD elites without dying which would mean one out of every 5 runs would have an elite kill that wouldn't be there otherwise.

Not saying it's 100% for sure ... but a better case for dropping SW has rarely been made! :D
Reply Quote
Hehe I don't think you are crazy at all, I see where you are coming from :)

Good points though! maybe I'm too old hat to drop SW, but I see the trend to "drop skills" as the new in and hip thing. I'd do it, if there is a nice sound reason of course.

ie, I never fully dropped serenity, it comes back on in MP10 ubers in place of BoH :) but for the meantime I'm having a blast. no life line = gameplay refinement
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Hehe I don't think you are crazy at all, I see where you are coming from :)

Good points though! maybe I'm too old hat to drop SW, but I see the trend to "drop skills" as the new in and hip thing. I'd do it, if there is a nice sound reason of course.

ie, I never fully dropped serenity, it comes back on in MP10 ubers in place of BoH :) but for the meantime I'm having a blast. no life line = gameplay refinement

I find it funny that I am Mr. #1 Drop Serenity proponent and now I am thinking of dropping SW for Serenity!

You got me D3 ... you got me good! :D
Reply Quote
Love the video and commentary. You amaze me with your knowledge of how everything works and blends in with each other.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]