Diablo® III

After Playing HOTS...Really? *This* Is How You Boss!

03/13/2013 10:44 PMPosted by IamMike4Life
one way to make them better would be as simple as making them drop better loot....like really, diablo on MP5 nets me a crap rare with loads of blues..

Confirm need only better loot drop from above mentioned bosses or change loot and decrease blue items.
Edited by DarkAngel#2659 on 3/14/2013 4:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Yea after watching the play through on this mission I agree that OP is hyping it up a bit too much.

However that doesn't mean bosses in D3 can't be improved.

Skeleton King could have 2 summoning towers that rise from the ground which periodically summon skeletons (tower would be invulnerable till SK dies). Perhaps have skeletons clamber up that middle chasm place to attack you. Perhaps let SK have a move which turns a skeleton red or something and then it explodes.

Azmodan's fight: Could also include more adds since he's a GENERAL. Having those demon tower things pop up once in awhile is lame since they take 2-3 hit to kill. If anything have like 5 demon towers pop up around the map (shown on mini map).

Spider Queen (act 1) could have used more spider adds that either drop from the ceiling or spawn out of the tunnels. Could also give Spider Queen more abilities like create 4 desecrator pools at the same time or have plague pools randomly spawn in the map (but disappear after awhile).

Just a few ideas to make boss fights a little more interesting then they are right now.

Wow, I REALLY like that version of King Leoric.
I alwyas felt that Azmodan battle was really dissapointing after facing Belial.
Diablo fight is cool, but the first itime i face him I thoight he would have MORE spells of the seven lords of hell...

EXAMPLE:

Diablo
-Andarie'ls Poison Nova
- Mephis electric Orb

Shdow Diablo
-Duriel's Freeze Aura
- Baal's Mirror Image

Pissed Off Diablo (after killing his shadow in the realm of terror)
- Azmodan's Corrosive Void
- Belial's Tri attack ( from the First form of Belial, before he transforms)
AND
C'mon, MAKE Diablo's Lightning Inferno really SCARY, I remember back in the days of DIABLO II, His Lightning INferno was REALLY scary, make it powerful :)

just a note andy and dury were not lords of hell, they were lordlings the pissants the real lords of hell used for their means.

and as far as diablo's infernal breath is concerned, it was only a challenge in normal because you could not last long in most cases toe to toe with Big D. But once you could handle getting up close an personal with Big D, his fire breath was useless since the closer you are the less damage it actually deals.
Reply Quote
the ps2 game "Shadow of the Colossus" is definitely on another level in terms of boss fights compared to any other game ever created. would love to see some interpretations of this epic style in modern games.
Reply Quote
Actualy, after playing SC II WoL for 3 years and having hundreads or perhaps thousands hours of fun...

*This* Is How You Make A Blizzard Quality Game

HotS bosses as a part of SP campaign, which is a minor part of great competitive MP game, better then AARPG bosses? Another nail into the rotten cofin of D3.
Reply Quote
The PC version was always meant for console therefore all the fights had to be dumbed down. You can't have complex mechanics on console because you can't control your character the same way as you would with a mouse and keyboard.

Another way to look at it is when are you ever attacking and defending at the same time on console? You're not, you're either attacking OR you're defending. PC enables you to do both = fights can be made more technical.

Is that y Assassins creed everyone just stands there in a mob around you as you only fight like one guy?
Reply Quote
03/13/2013 08:39 PMPosted by Grimiku
For example in Diablo III, the encounters have to work with heroes that have different skills and power levels

Please see this topic about Hard mode Boss Fights:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8198731447#1
Edited by bjornh#2928 on 3/14/2013 5:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
yup, thats blizzard NORTH for ya!
Reply Quote
We love some of our boss fights (like Belial, Butcher, and Diablo), but agree that some of them could be better. We’re certainly interested in hearing feedback about what you think could make a boss fight more fun, and would like to hear any examples you may have. The more specific, the better. The examples can come from any game, but if you’re referencing HOTS, then please try to avoid sharing any spoilers, if you can.

It’s worth noting that opinions are probably going to vary quite a bit on this. Some players may like the idea of needing to tether a charging boss to a heavy object to slow him down, (even if the strength of those tethers scaled with a hero’s power) while other players may find the mechanic a frustrating chore after a few times. Something else to consider while offering suggestions is that different games are going to have different limitations when it comes to bosses. For example in Diablo III, the encounters have to work with heroes that have different skills and power levels. I bring this up because not every game has to consider this, and designers can tune a boss knowing exactly what a player's damage output, skill selection, and health pool is going to be.

All bosses give hints to you before attack. This is the MAIN issue.

One examples of each I can remember (but ALL attacks comes after a clear warning):
- Butcher jumps twice before hitting you.
- Belial (most ridiculous) shows exacly where you may not be.
- Azmodan first creates the huge ball of fire, let you run, and only then throughs it at you.
- Diablo show exacly where the "bone cages" will spawn.

And it's not only with End Bosses:
- Skeleton King do a "green-ish shadowy thing" before teleport to you.
- The Siegebreaker stand in two legs before the combo attack (or the spring? Anyway it warns you to not be in front of him).

I can't remember all of them since I not playing regularly for over 4 months... but I'm sure only by stop warming us about next boss move, would put us in much bigger danger... thou much bigger thrill, challenge and fun
Edited by Londrer#1899 on 3/14/2013 5:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm not used to compare games and I don't like doing so (most of the time), but...

Torchlight 2 gave me some fun and challenging end-boss fights with minions involved, a big number of skills and a smarter AI (in my opinion). Also, by not warming me about the next boss movement.
Edited by Londrer#1899 on 3/14/2013 5:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Made a list of every boss encounter with ideas to improve them. It turned out rather long, so I made a new topic for it:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8197581308

03/14/2013 05:29 AMPosted by Londrer
but I'm sure only by stop warming us about next boss move, would put us in much bigger danger... thou much bigger thrill, challenge and fun

Not really. It would just remove the skill element from the battles.
Reply Quote
We love some of our boss fights (like Belial, Butcher, and Diablo), but agree that some of them could be better. We’re certainly interested in hearing feedback about what you think could make a boss fight more fun, and would like to hear any examples you may have. The more specific, the better. The examples can come from any game, but if you’re referencing HOTS, then please try to avoid sharing any spoilers, if you can.

It’s worth noting that opinions are probably going to vary quite a bit on this. Some players may like the idea of needing to tether a charging boss to a heavy object to slow him down, (even if the strength of those tethers scaled with a hero’s power) while other players may find the mechanic a frustrating chore after a few times. Something else to consider while offering suggestions is that different games are going to have different limitations when it comes to bosses. For example in Diablo III, the encounters have to work with heroes that have different skills and power levels. I bring this up because not every game has to consider this, and designers can tune a boss knowing exactly what a player's damage output, skill selection, and health pool is going to be.

Google I Want to be the Boshy. If it can make a showdown with Hello Kitty seem epic, then you should be able to make demon lord encounters interesting.
Reply Quote
People being so strong they can face tank a boss and not worry about damage complaining about boss complexity.

nothin to see here.
Reply Quote
03/12/2013 06:41 PMPosted by Kestral
I found a boss that very similar to Belial fight in Hots.... I was like... really?Guess what... Instead of Q W E, I did 1234 spam which of course fails. (Likely because my mind is on auto D3 mode in excessive paragon level farming)

Except that that boss is actually more varied mechanically than Belial, is more challenging (at least on the difficulty I played) and most importantly is actually introduced to the players in a manner that makes them care about the confrotation before they fight him :|

Although I did feel a momentary panic when he didn't drop anything.

I remember being stuck on belial for a week straight before any patches, along with 2 freinds. This game was rediculous on inferno mode before they nerfed it. Im sure if enough people whine about those bosses you mention being too difficult, they'll nerf them into boringness as well.
Reply Quote
IMO Belial is the only good boss fight in Diablo, and even he's too predictable. You should give all the bosses a wider array of abilities, and they should use them appropriately based on how you're fighting them, and try not to focus on the environmental danger aspect of making bosses hard. Azmodan's pools, the Butchers fire, the Larders gas cloud, they do make the fights harder, but not more exciting. I shouldn't be more worried about the fire on the floor, then the Butcher I'm fighting.
Reply Quote
King Leoric - Too noisy, talks too much. Remove all the lame lines.
Spider Queen - No comments
Warden - Too weak.
Butcher - Remove all the lame lines.

Magda - Needs a revamp, change the rainbow colors to something more darker/sinister.
Zultan Kulle - No comments
Belial - First form is not impressive, neither are his attacks. Second form is good.

Ghom - No comments.
Cydea - Instead of summoning spider, shouldn't she summon succubus? Attacks are too weak.
Azmodan - Walks too slow. Too many AoE attacks. Not impressed by summons.

Rakanoth - Impressive design, disappointing attacks.
Izual - Too many icy explosions, lousy attacks. Not impressed
Diablo - No comments.
Reply Quote
Have Maghda do something much more terrifying than shoot butterflies and make a proper Cain death cinematic showing the new ability =)

also get rid of all the cut scenes before and after the bosses...the cut scene after the butcher where it just shows where tyrael is being held is particularly useless. it's not like we can go anywhere else, the stairs lead right down to him.
Edited by Dispirit#1859 on 3/14/2013 7:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Can even remember boss fights in Diablo... Lol
Reply Quote
Iskatsu
Teleportation like frenzy, making him hard to hit from a distance due to the crawly shadow thingies.

Ghom
When chewing, make us be inside his moth for a period of time dealing as physical damage.
When he dies, make a % chance for him to trigger organ explosions that deal fire damage.

Rakanoth
Make him do shark attacks, make him teleport away, do a signature move and then torpede against a player, doing knockback and % chance to stun.

Give him also a white nova blast whenever he have some life left: 1/4. 2/4 and 3/4 (when dead). Similar to Magdha but fast nova spell dealing arcane and physical damage, % chance to knock back.

Izual
Make his trail work like Firewalkers, except make it freeze you for x seconds. Make him move more and lower the amount of classic freeze balls that explode (normal frozen affix). This will make us chase him less.

Diablo
Use the tail for punch with a following leap backward to start spit out that electro-fire.

Make him growl more.

When "dying," make an slow-motion vortex so we are dragged into him slowly, just to witness the awesome death. And also make him kinda "leak" fire that can be similar to the affix desecrator on him self, that will deal damage if we are too close.

Skeleton King
Make him control the skeletons from time to time, Skills that can be used similar to our Weapon Throw - Skillrun: Dread Bomb and Wall of Zombies - Skillrun: Pile On. But change zombies to skeletons!

Make him raise bluegreen spirits from the ground, dealing AoE that also deals damage to his skeletons. Similar to Witch Doctors Grasp of the Dead. Make the hands a bit different aswell as the sound-effect.

Magdha
Make her invisible x seconds when her shield disappear. But not her attacks. Make her gain "fleeting" when she is invisible. This will make her probably move away from corners, and harder to kill.

The Butcher
Make him a slow-motion 4-spinn-around-only version of the Whirlwind. But with no x/y movement. Dealing physical damage and small bleed. After make him dizzy for x seconds.
Reply Quote
I hope boss could level up as players.After killing ,it will level up,therefor I will have to change my gears.And also the boss level i can do will show my ability.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]