We love some of our boss fights (like Belial, Butcher, and Diablo), but agree that some of them could be better. We’re certainly interested in hearing feedback about what you think could make a boss fight more fun, and would like to hear any examples you may have. The more specific, the better. The examples can come from any game, but if you’re referencing HOTS, then please try to avoid sharing any spoilers, if you can.
It’s worth noting that opinions are probably going to vary quite a bit on this. Some players may like the idea of needing to tether a charging boss to a heavy object to slow him down, (even if the strength of those tethers scaled with a hero’s power) while other players may find the mechanic a frustrating chore after a few times. Something else to consider while offering suggestions is that different games are going to have different limitations when it comes to bosses. For example in Diablo III, the encounters have to work with heroes that have different skills and power levels. I bring this up because not every game has to consider this, and designers can tune a boss knowing exactly what a player's damage output, skill selection, and health pool is going to be.
All bosses give hints to you before attack. This is the MAIN issue.
One examples of each I can remember (but ALL attacks comes after a clear warning):
- Butcher jumps twice before hitting you.
- Belial (most ridiculous) shows exacly where you may not be.
- Azmodan first creates the huge ball of fire, let you run, and only then throughs it at you.
- Diablo show exacly where the "bone cages" will spawn.
And it's not only with End Bosses:
- Skeleton King do a "green-ish shadowy thing" before teleport to you.
- The Siegebreaker stand in two legs before the combo attack (or the spring? Anyway it warns you to not be in front of him).
I can't remember all of them since I not playing regularly for over 4 months... but I'm sure only by stop warming us about next boss move, would put us in much bigger danger... thou much bigger thrill, challenge and fun