Diablo® III

After Playing HOTS...Really? *This* Is How You Boss!

Just as you mentioned, Belial and Butcher (and Diablo) are interesting fights. The Butcher posses strong attack that can be dodged. Same with Belial and Diablo. If you take a look at Azmodan, his Void Circle spawns right under you a lot. His minions are weak and the summoning stone is no treat.

That's just my idea, but perhaps the fight should have more and more void circles spawning, but away from Azmodan, but slowly coming in. You will have less and less room to dodge his fireball and rain of corpse.

His minions need to be stronger, and he needs to summoning stones are too weak.

I think you're close to what Azmodan should be. As general of Hell's armies, his fight should resemble something like a round of DOTA. Waves of weaker enemies constantly spawning in alternating strong and weak waves from Demonic Hellbearers and Hell Rifts in front and behind him, making you wade through them to get close to Azmodan, only to get forced back by the tide. Instead of summoning a ball of fire, portal in some a Siegebreaker or a couple of Butchers, since the storyline says they are not unique enemies. By Act 4, butchers should be fairly easy prey anyway, but definitely would be cool to see again.

Throw in some support troops from the Keep to be spawning behind you to make it feel like it's an actual epic battle, and you've got something that'd be fun to play.
Edited by Wrathernaut#1623 on 3/14/2013 2:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hi blizzard team, first i would like to thank you for doing such an amazing job and listening to Diablo3 community for future suggestions.

Everyone knows that players don't feel it's efficient to farm a whole act but almost everyone would agree that it would be fun. I know you suggested previously things like giving 1 legendary per boss on the first time you kill him. I personally think that it's not a really good idea but i have a suggestion that you might find i hope amazing.

What about if they would be a Path that when you clear an entire Act from the beginning to the end and kill the main Ending Act boss you would receive a garanteed Legendary drop.
This could be added with another idea like making the end Boss being Uber boss.

I hope you guyz will like my idea thanks!
Reply Quote
I really enjoy all the boss fights except one.

Belial is hands down the most poorly designed boss fight i have had to suffer through.

Is it a challenge ? Well yes it certainly is.
Is it fun ? No.

Being crammed onto a balance beam and having a major boss fire nothing but AOE attacks while you dance and try to avoid a hit box that is 2/3 the screen is not only poor design but lazy.

Every single other boss in the game has quite a few unique attack types but not Belial. It is almost as if the dev team said lets cut 3 months of development time by making act 2 almost a copy of act 2 from Diablo 2.

Desert enviroment - check
Annoying jumping mobs - check
Long winding fortress inside a dungeon that ends with a caster boss with minions in a tiny enclosed area. - check
End act boss in a tiny enclosed area with no where to maneuver - check

I could list 20 more things that parallel with act 2 in Diablo 2 but i do not need to.

This is not meant as a criticism just an observation that overall was disappointing.
Reply Quote
Belial is hands down the most poorly designed boss fight i have had to suffer through.

Is it a challenge ? Well yes it certainly is.
Is it fun ? No.

Being crammed onto a balance beam and having a major boss fire nothing but AOE attacks while you dance and try to avoid a hit box that is 2/3 the screen is not only poor design but lazy.

Every single other boss in the game has quite a few unique attack types but not Belial. It is almost as if the dev team said lets cut 3 months of development time by making act 2 almost a copy of act 2 from Diablo 2.

Well this is first for me when it comes to someone being disappointed with Belial.

I like the Belial fight because players can't just sit in one spot spamming their attacks (generally) and the fight is unique because it has 3 phases in which they all compromise of something different and up the challenge of the fight (minions, boss/minions, big boss). If anything I feel like Belial's second phase (when he is small) could use a few more minions popping in to help aid their master.

As for comparing Act 2 D3 to Act 2... yes the environment are quite the same (sewers, oasis, desert, ZK's realm - Summoner's realm) but the boss fights are quite different. Belial compared to Duriel yes both fights are in small areas but Duriel's fight is all about tanking the damage and town portal when you are low on health/hp potions. Belial the three different phases has the minions and tanking, Belial/minions with both tanking and dodging and Belial which is mostly dodging in which if you don't dodge you die.
Reply Quote
03/14/2013 02:15 PMPosted by Faust
If I had one complaint about the Diablo boss fight. It would be the bone cage attack. It's far too strong, and once you're trapped, you can attack it to get out. Other than that, it's actually not that bad, provided you know what you're doing.

Bone cage can be dodged really easily though and it can be obvious when Diablo uses his animation which signals you to start running around.

I think it's damage is fine because if you get trapped it's your fault for not seeing it coming. It's like with pre nerfed Azmodan's fireball attack or pre nerfed Belial's poison meteors. If you don't dodge them you die and they are really obvious.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
03/14/2013 04:03 PMPosted by DeMasked
If I had one complaint about the Diablo boss fight. It would be the bone cage attack. It's far too strong, and once you're trapped, you can attack it to get out. Other than that, it's actually not that bad, provided you know what you're doing.

Bone cage can be dodged really easily though and it can be obvious when Diablo uses his animation which signals you to start running around.

I think it's damage is fine because if you get trapped it's your fault for not seeing it coming. It's like with pre nerfed Azmodan's fireball attack or pre nerfed Belial's poison meteors. If you don't dodge them you die and they are really obvious.

Diablo also cannot kill you with bone cage. The damage is capped to a certain percentage of your HP.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
03/14/2013 04:26 PMPosted by Drothvader

Diablo also cannot kill you with bone cage. The damage is capped to a certain percentage of your HP.

I've had it kill me when I've been so unlucky as to get caught with less than full health.
Reply Quote
Sórrow i feel your pain REAALLY!!!!

So many adds, so much action, and very cool bosses, thats what i feel after SC2 HOTS.

Diablo 3 bosses LACK ADDS, only belial has adds, what about azmodan for example ?

Oh Cydea also... but what with others? and also they should oneshot more offten imo.

EDIT:

I think honestlly tha azmodan is a PATHETIC FIGHT, he looks cool, and i love that fireball that hits for almost instant K.O.

But i expected more adds MUCH more... like waves of different monsters that we would have to fight.
Also he should have +1 more spells like an aoe fire nova.

Azmodan fight is totally E Z compared to belial, or diablo.
Edited by Gorbak#2565 on 3/14/2013 4:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/14/2013 04:49 PMPosted by Gorbak
he looks cool

Terrible entrance though.

I was expecting something along the lines of Black Soulstone where he appears out of the smoke. Instead we have Azmodan enjoying his lava crater Jacuzzi and then him awkwardly crab walking his way out to meet you.

As for Azmodan's fight... yea disappointing for sure. I mean really... massive boss room and hardly any adds join their General in his desperation to not get flushed down the black soulstone. I guess it was the minion's off day or maybe they were annoyed with Azmodan's lack of effective tactics and called a mutiny or went on strike...
Reply Quote
It is clear this is why Blizz didnt want us farming bosses for items, even they knew the boss fights were piss.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
03/14/2013 04:38 PMPosted by Ryaskybird
I've had it kill me when I've been so unlucky as to get caught with less than full health.

It's not the bone prison itself that kills you but rather Diablo's next swing.

If you spam your potion button while she's got you gripped, you can live through the next swing.
Reply Quote
Kinda sad that you like how the Diablo fight works. It's a real pain in the !@#. No one wants to engage in a fight that lasts 10min and gives no real reward. Also, like has been said, Izual is the worst boss I've seen in a long time. Why couldn't you just bring back the demon from Diablo 2? Yes it felt more like a miniboss but that's EXACTLY what he is. Now he just spams ice orb and it's very boring. Whoever designed that boss fight needs a slap in the face, but I guess that's our old friend Jay.
Reply Quote
We love some of our boss fights (like Belial, Butcher, and Diablo), but agree that some of them could be better. We’re certainly interested in hearing feedback about what you think could make a boss fight more fun, and would like to hear any examples you may have. The more specific, the better. The examples can come from any game, but if you’re referencing HOTS, then please try to avoid sharing any spoilers, if you can.

It’s worth noting that opinions are probably going to vary quite a bit on this. Some players may like the idea of needing to tether a charging boss to a heavy object to slow him down, (even if the strength of those tethers scaled with a hero’s power) while other players may find the mechanic a frustrating chore after a few times. Something else to consider while offering suggestions is that different games are going to have different limitations when it comes to bosses. For example in Diablo III, the encounters have to work with heroes that have different skills and power levels. I bring this up because not every game has to consider this, and designers can tune a boss knowing exactly what a player's damage output, skill selection, and health pool is going to be.

Wouldn't this have been better asked during the Beta?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
03/14/2013 05:45 PMPosted by Drothvader

It's not the bone prison itself that kills you but rather Diablo's next swing.

If you spam your potion button while she's got you gripped, you can live through the next swing.

Yeah, I should've also added potion on down. Again, when I've been very unlucky.
Reply Quote
the gas cloud thig sucks. so i just skip the boss fight that just poison all the time.
Reply Quote

Yea after watching the play through on this mission I agree that OP is hyping it up a bit too much.

However that doesn't mean bosses in D3 can't be improved.

Skeleton King could have 2 summoning towers that rise from the ground which periodically summon skeletons (tower would be invulnerable till SK dies). Perhaps have skeletons clamber up that middle chasm place to attack you. Perhaps let SK have a move which turns a skeleton red or something and then it explodes.

Azmodan's fight: Could also include more adds since he's a GENERAL. Having those demon tower things pop up once in awhile is lame since they take 2-3 hit to kill. If anything have like 5 demon towers pop up around the map (shown on mini map).

Spider Queen (act 1) could have used more spider adds that either drop from the ceiling or spawn out of the tunnels. Could also give Spider Queen more abilities like create 4 desecrator pools at the same time or have plague pools randomly spawn in the map (but disappear after awhile).

Just a few ideas to make boss fights a little more interesting then they are right now.

Wow, I REALLY like that version of King Leoric.
I alwyas felt that Azmodan battle was really dissapointing after facing Belial.
Diablo fight is cool, but the first itime i face him I thoight he would have MORE spells of the seven lords of hell...

EXAMPLE:

Diablo
-Andarie'ls Poison Nova
- Mephis electric Orb

Shdow Diablo
-Duriel's Freeze Aura
- Baal's Mirror Image

Pissed Off Diablo (after killing his shadow in the realm of terror)
- Azmodan's Corrosive Void
- Belial's Tri attack ( from the First form of Belial, before he transforms)
AND
C'mon, MAKE Diablo's Lightning Inferno really SCARY, I remember back in the days of DIABLO II, His Lightning INferno was REALLY scary, make it powerful :)

Wow, I never even considered that possibility! That would be absolutely AMAZING. That would truly surpass every boss fight in the Diablo series up until now. And it makes so much sense. Really makes me wonder why this wasn't considered. Listen to this man, Bliz. LISTEN AND BE HUMBLED!
Edited by Myst#1264 on 3/14/2013 7:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/14/2013 02:57 PMPosted by ThePunisher
Hi blizzard team, first i would like to thank you for doing such an amazing job and listening to Diablo3 community for future suggestions.

If you could stop licking BALLZ and go chew some bubblegum to clear your breath.

What would be great is that Blizzard makes good job, just like with Starcraft licence, but with Diablo3, you follow me?

Sounds like politics "we don't really have plans and program, but we can listen to you, give us ideas!" and then what, if it's !@#$ blame us cause it was "our" idea ("our" because you are listening at whiners iso oldschool fans)? "Aren't you thankful?" remember?... GTFO! How Blizz North made games like d2? What if you start to make good things by yourselves?

This is just an evidence that you are powerless, after a year the game is already dead, your beta is almost over but now you are asking us ideas cause servers are empty and i guess it's starting to smell sewers for the extensions?

Ok after 45432 patches, it's better, but still, no pvp, no fame, no passion, no Diablo spirit.

Can we consider that paying to play a beta game since a year is a massive R.A.P.E against all players and fans of the licence? I go take a shower, i feel dirty.
Edited by Defontenay#2682 on 3/14/2013 7:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I think bosses should be way more rewarding like they were in Diablo 2, I also believe they should talk less... WAY LESS. When a Prime Evil has something to say it should be short and to the point. It should also scare the crap out of you.
Reply Quote
In D2 Diablohis fire of circle was damageing but still able to survive but his shot of fireball i ran away like a little girls and hid in the corner. make bosses fight like that.
Reply Quote
03/14/2013 07:35 PMPosted by Ruffianx
I think bosses should be way more rewarding like they were in Diablo 2

Have items that drop anywhere in the game that can enhance the boss making it more challenging with obviously more skills/adds and a greater reward.

I don't want D2 and having items that are used to make the boss fight better would be the better choice rather then farming bosses D2 style.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]