Diablo® III

Death due to Waller Affix Bug, Please Address. (pic)

If you're still running into situations where Waller monsters are spawning their walls right on top of your characters, we would really appreciate a list of steps that you took to get this bug to occur or a video that shows when and where this happens. (While we're super thankful for the reports and screenshots you've submitted thus far, we just need some additional details to figure out what's going on.)

The most frequent times it happens to me is in the middle of my vault or at the end of my vault. As I am tumbling away, a wall will appear in front of me and I somehow vault my way inside of the wall making me stuck.

Also, It just happened to me again today in Act 3, the stairs right before Azmodan's room. A single blue succubus placed a wall perpendicular to the stairs I was on as I was running towards it (while strafing) and got me stuck. I couldn't vault out of it or move in any direction either. The wall consumed all my shots as well. =[

I'll be sure to take pictures of it next time!

Edit: I'm not sure how relevant this information is, but I average 70ms while playing.
Edited by kirawr#1141 on 4/22/2013 4:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
wall doesnt work how it supposed to sometimes but its fairly rare and not game breaking...they should fix it but they have bigger fish to fry than this...op is right it is broke though
Reply Quote
I can also confirm that on occasion Wallers lay a wall down right on top of my toon, and while I can usually survive, I am definitely stuck and cannot move until the wall or walls crumble. When I see a Waller, I always try to kite them around to get their walls to spawn before facetanking them. But when I can't, they will on occasion spawn a wall or three on top of my toon and he is stuck in the wall until it crumbles. I've tried switching directions, too, but the toon has actually become stuck (bugged?) in the wall. Unless the wall is supposed to trap you underneath it, which was kind of what I thought it was doing, and not necessarily bugged. It doesn't happen often enough for me worry about it, but I can see how it would be a horror in Hardcore. I've had it happen with one wall or with multiple walls like the OP. One way to test it would be to get a couple of Waller packs together, when you have more than one group throwing down walls, it seems to me more likely it will happen.
Edited by Aphid#1730 on 4/22/2013 4:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I've requested video proof from reddit, hopefully we hit a streamer or someone who records gameplay frequently.

If this post runs out of reply space, OP, can you make another thread and I'll link to that from the reddit thread?

Thread here: http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/1cwe4r/blizzard_wanting_video_or_proof_the_wall_bug/
Edited by Onymous#1859 on 4/22/2013 5:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hey all,

Thanks so much for your reports. At the moment, our QA team is having difficulty reproducing this bug internally, so we have a small request.

If you're still running into situations where Waller monsters are spawning their walls right on top of your characters, we would really appreciate a list of steps that you took to get this bug to occur or a video that shows when and where this happens. (While we're super thankful for the reports and screenshots you've submitted thus far, we just need some additional details to figure out what's going on.)

For clarity: Waller champions will sometimes spawn multiple walls in a tight formation near a player, which can limit mobility. This is not a bug. However, if a single Waller wall is spawned right on top of a character, causing it to be unable to move, then that's a bug and we would like to know more about these situations.

Thank you!

devs cant replicate something that happens to me regularly? lol

it doesnt "limit mobility" it literally makes you unable to move at all
Reply Quote
I've always had a waller elite spawn a single wall directly on my character, and I've always been able to escape. I do have to move my character in a 360 circle to find the escape path.
Reply Quote
I just had it with a wall appearing directly in front of me and then directly behind me at the same time. This caused me to be trapped inside one of the walls.
Reply Quote
just my thought here...but it only ever happens to me ( and i see many others say the same )
as we are moving away...or vaulting...or sprinting away..

i _think_ WE are actually moving under a incoming wall TBH.

but it 100% stops all movement. on my barb WoTB in use and
all of a sudden its like i was hit with jailer.

anyway..i don't know if the we are moving under the wall makes since to anyone.
but that's my thought.
Reply Quote
Hey all,

Thanks so much for your reports. At the moment, our QA team is having difficulty reproducing this bug internally, so we have a small request.

For clarity: Waller champions will sometimes spawn multiple walls in a tight formation near a player, which can limit mobility. This is not a bug. However, if a single Waller wall is spawned right on top of a character, causing it to be unable to move, then that's a bug and we would like to know more about these situations.

Thank you!

There is no list of steps, it just happens, not that bad of a bug, id rather deal with it than frapsing my game play until it does.
Reply Quote
i would say all the affixes... (well, almost all) are not quite intelligently implemented. Think about that jailer affix will pull you in when you think you already escaped from another the frost nova affix (the little spike that spinning about to warn you beforehand, but you can't escape it because the soonest you get out of the range the jailer will pull you right back.) It's very stupid.
Edited by MisterAjikko#1937 on 4/22/2013 5:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote

This doesn't make any sense to me, what's the difference if you're stuck between multiple walls or just stuck in one wall. You still lose complete control of your character and are at the monster's mercy. This type of game mechanic requires no skill either way you look at it. Seriously devs, how is one wall stuck a bug but not multi wall stuck? Both equal the same outcome and you can't prevent either one. And besides, I bet this is happening with multi walls more often.

Think about what you said again, really think hard about it. If being stuck between multi walls is by design, then why bother addressing the issue with one wall.
Edited by Deadzors#1394 on 4/22/2013 5:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Has happened to me a couple of times. Lost a HC to it once.

Thanks for that.

I see it more often in Act1 but last night it happened in Act 3 Hell of HC.
Reply Quote
Here it is to the best of my memory.

1. Load any act
2. Progress through game and locate indoor environment
2. Progress through environment naturally until encountering a Champion Elite Pack with the Waller affix
3. Move character within range of Waller ability
4. Continue moving around while Waller casts
5. Observe results

Observed:
Waller casts "simultaneously" on character's location, clipping and effectively immobilizing the character.

Expected:
Waller casts its walls around character in a rectangular pattern.

Screenshots coming soon...
Reply Quote
Unfortunately this happened to me just before I saw the thread.

1. Ran into a goatman pack in northern highlands with waller arcane (can't remember other affixes)
2. I was diagonally northwest of pack on screen, moving directly towards him.
3. A wall was cast perpendicular to the line between us. Visually it looked like it was behind me, so I tried to keep moving towards him. I could not. I quickly tried to move the other way, but couldn't move that way either. I popped my spirit walk and hoped to get outta there alive. Fortunately I did, but not everyone is so lucky.
Edited by Typh#1457 on 4/22/2013 5:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/22/2013 04:53 PMPosted by kirawr

The most frequent times it happens to me is in the middle of my vault or at the end of my vault. As I am tumbling away, a wall will appear in front of me and I somehow vault my way inside of the wall making me stuck.

Also, It just happened to me again today in Act 3, the stairs right before Azmodan's room. A single blue succubus placed a wall perpendicular to the stairs I was on as I was running towards it (while strafing) and got me stuck. I couldn't vault out of it or move in any direction either. The wall consumed all my shots as well. =[

I'll be sure to take pictures of it next time!

Edit: I'm not sure how relevant this information is, but I average 70ms while playing.

Maybe vault has contribution, since sometimes when I tried to vault and a wall appeared, it would rarely appear on top of char. My character just stop, and further vault or normal move click do no movement.

But I remember it happen when I'm just walking normally also (when kiting). Happen most likely on Blue elites only If I remember correctly.

Edit: Another Addition

I mostly do act 3 run, so most of the encounter were there. Happened since D3 launch, most noticeable on Inferno since that's where my character died the most (and sometimes this bug is the reason).

The wall does not necessarily need to be casted simultaneously or heavily casted on 1 area for the bug to appear, since I remembered getting stuck on 1 individual wall.
Edited by NuEloS#1547 on 4/22/2013 6:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hey all,

Thank you!

When using a Monk it's often a wall can spawn under you while using Tempest Rush. Basically you'll be running around and a lag spike happens and your stuck in the middle of a wall for a second or two. I've tried going in different directions but it releases pretty quick as if it notices it's not suppose to do that. It hasn't caused me any major problems as of yet, but it isn't a great thing either... although it is funny if an elite is on the other side of the wall during that time, because they get destroyed in the process lol.

Speaking of which, has anyone else noticed quick lag spikes? Maybe it's because I'm going so fast and the game is trying to catch up, but my computer and net speeds should handle this game with ease and it's only been lately I've seen this happening. I tried lowering and/or raising the specs and it still occurred exactly the same way.
Reply Quote
Is this a bug? I've been stuck immobile inside of walls...you can't do anything but die. I would never play a hardcore character because of this and the lag when players enter games. Both are beyond your control as a player and skill has nothing to do with living through it. I once took my DH all the way through normal to the end without dying, but still wouldn't do it. P.S. Since teleport sucks compared to D2, I wouldn't waste a slot on it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]