Diablo® III

Death due to Waller Affix Bug, Please Address. (pic)

04/22/2013 04:53 PMPosted by kirawr
The most frequent times it happens to me is in the middle of my vault or at the end of my vault.

I had pretty much the same on hardcore with furious charge a long time ago. My barb was pretty much tanky so it was not a big deal but that is surely surprising when it happen. My guess is that using a dash kinda skill like vault, furious charge, maybe dashing strike or even the pushing effect that happen when you pop mirror image may be used to reproduce the bug.

I believe the waller take only into account the position of the character and not is movement. Which is fine with basic move because you move to a point and if an obstacle appear you just turn around it. But with dash skill, you move to a point in a defined way and you cannot interrupt your movement. So I guess when an obstacle do appear, you cannot interrupt your movement but at the same time you cannot fulfill this movement... so you are struck on an endless static movement. It is paradoxical but it makes sense.
Reply Quote
Support OP, bump
Reply Quote
Waller completely immobilizes characters had been a common sense I think everyone experienced it, HC or SC, when there's a wall spawning right at your feet, and you can't move towards any direction.

Even if it's not a bug per se, completely immobilizes a player with Waller is clearly not the design purpose. Fix it regardless please.

Oh maybe the bug only occurs to players on servers not internal testing networks???
Reply Quote
Hey all,

Thanks so much for your reports. At the moment, our QA team is having difficulty reproducing this bug internally, so we have a small request.

If you're still running into situations where Waller monsters are spawning their walls right on top of your characters, we would really appreciate a list of steps that you took to get this bug to occur or a video that shows when and where this happens. (While we're super thankful for the reports and screenshots you've submitted thus far, we just need some additional details to figure out what's going on.)

For clarity: Waller champions will sometimes spawn multiple walls in a tight formation near a player, which can limit mobility. This is not a bug. However, if a single Waller wall is spawned right on top of a character, causing it to be unable to move, then that's a bug and we would like to know more about these situations.

Thank you!

There aren't "steps". Elites with waller drop it on top of you, you can't physically move. It's a bug that existed since launch, had reportedly been fixed (or so I've heard), and continues to be an issue. Simple fix...make the walls shun you to one side of them. Like Dimension Door in D&D, should you port into a wall.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
04/22/2013 05:37 PMPosted by Deadzors
This doesn't make any sense to me, what's the difference if you're stuck between multiple walls or just stuck in one wall.

In one situation, you have monsters with the Waller affix spawning walls near a character in a tight formation, or adjacent to one another in a way that may limit where your character can go. This is not a bug.

In the other, you have walls being spawned directly on top of a character, which basically makes it unable to move in any direction until it despawns -- and this is regardless of where the other walls may have spawned, too. This is a bug, because walls should not spawn on top of characters.

We made some changes in patch 1.0.7 which we believe should have fixed this, but since we're still getting reports from players, we're continuing to investigate. Right now, we're having trouble replicating the bug on our end, so we're reaching out to players for more information. The more information we have, the better our chances to replicate the issue. Replicating the issue internally is key, because that let's us know what the problem is and, in turn, how to fix it (ideally).

Also, I feel it's worth noting that, while it's currently the intended behavior for monsters with the Waller affix to be able to spawn tightly near a character, that doesn't mean the functionality is set in stone forever. We've seen a lot of great feedback from players on the affix (like giving walls HP or purposefully staggering where the walls spawn) that we're definitely reviewing.

For the purpose of troubleshooting, though, it's important for us to identify how the affix is supposed to work right now -- what behavior is intended vs. what isn't -- and make that distinction as clear as possible for you. Even if you disagree with how the affix is designed, we still want to be able to fix the bug, and understanding what you're experiencing (normal mechanics vs. bug) is a key part of that.
Edited by Lylirra on 4/22/2013 7:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Make the walls breakable!
Reply Quote
We need a way to counter them. Allowing Hp is good, at least we can fight our way out.

Being a DH I would like to jump and bounce my way out over it and throw grenades over it, they can be a tactic we use to block incoming attacks too.
Edited by NightCrawler#1627 on 4/22/2013 7:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I get this all the time, using my Wiz. You are part of the wall, not surrounded. I cannot move, until I either kill the monster or the wall breaks down (reach time limit). Not running teleport, so do not know, if that works.

Never seen it using my DH, but hardly used her after 1.07.
Reply Quote
i already pretend like the walls are breakable.......

anyway from what ive experienced this has definately gotten better. i still run around in circles punching walls when i cant get past but yeah.
Edited by old97ss#1419 on 4/22/2013 7:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I have had this occurring to me as well. It seems strange that the monsters can cast so many walls without any cooling down and its true of those casting frozen spikes as well yet players have to contend with all sorts of cool downs with health portions that don't even heal you 100% ):
Reply Quote
Tell your QA guys to add some latency to their testing, if any part of the waller affix involves server-client interaction.

If it's all clientside then no clue really... This happens too erratically to me pinpoint anything (I dont use any skills like teleport, leap, furious charge, sprint, vault etc but this still happens sometimes)
Reply Quote
I haven't seen this often lately, but it still happens. My main issue with Waller is that it can spawn with ALL of the other immobilizing affixes which can be an annoying combo, i.e. jailer, waller, frozen, arcane/mortar. is there any wonder why almost all barbs run WotB?
Reply Quote
View profile
04/22/2013 07:37 PMPosted by Teemo
Make the walls breakable!

they need to be breakable say 10% or 25% of elite hp
Reply Quote
Every instance I've seen of this, I just move a different direction.

Yes, it spawns on top of me. Yes, I can't move up, left, down.
But then I try moving right.

And magically, I can move! Right may not be the direction I *want* to move, but I can certainly move there.

Maybe this is why you can't reproduce internally. 3 directions get "sealed" from a wall on top of a character, and players are reporting they can't move. By the time most figure out the proper direction they should move, they are either dead or the wall is timed out.

I've never been in a situation where I couldn't move at all. Now, I have been walled and jailed simultaneously. That's never fun.
Reply Quote
funny, he's even on top of the wall of fire XD
Reply Quote
Every instance I've seen of this, I just move a different direction.Yes, it spawns on top of me. Yes, I can't move up, left, down.But then I try moving right.And magically, I can move! Right may not be the direction I *want* to move, but I can certainly move there.Maybe this is why you can't reproduce internally. 3 directions get "sealed" from a wall on top of a character, and players are reporting they can't move. By the time most figure out the proper direction they should move, they are either dead or the wall is timed out. I've never been in a situation where I couldn't move at all. Now, I have been walled and jailed simultaneously. That's never fun.

I would echo this from CyberGoat and add that frequently the "safe" direction isnt obvious. I normally find that the wall looks like it is slightly towards one side of my character and my instict is to move away from it which I am unable to do - but if i walk towards the wall my toon passes right through it after which the wall will behave as you would expect.
Reply Quote
Hey all,

Thanks so much for your reports. At the moment, our QA team is having difficulty reproducing this bug internally, so we have a small request.

If you're still running into situations where Waller monsters are spawning their walls right on top of your characters, we would really appreciate a list of steps that you took to get this bug to occur or a video that shows when and where this happens. (While we're super thankful for the reports and screenshots you've submitted thus far, we just need some additional details to figure out what's going on.)

For clarity: Waller champions will sometimes spawn multiple walls in a tight formation near a player, which can limit mobility. This is not a bug. However, if a single Waller wall is spawned right on top of a character, causing it to be unable to move, then that's a bug and we would like to know more about these situations.

Thank you!

There have been several instances where I have had 2 elite waller groups together. Between all the 6 walls criss-crossing I am unable to move in any direction. I pretty much have to stand in one spot until the walls despawn or they kill me.
Reply Quote
04/22/2013 07:26 PMPosted by Lylirra
This doesn't make any sense to me, what's the difference if you're stuck between multiple walls or just stuck in one wall.

In one situation, you have monsters with the Waller affix spawning walls near a character in a tight formation, or adjacent to one another in a way that may limit where your character can go. This is not a bug.

In the other, you have walls being spawned directly on top of a character, which basically makes it unable to move in any direction until it despawns -- and this is regardless of where the other walls may have spawned, too. This is a bug, because walls should not spawn on top of characters.

We made some changes in patch 1.0.7 which we believe should have fixed this, but since we're still getting reports from players, we're continuing to investigate. Right now, we're having trouble replicating the bug on our end, so we're reaching out to players for more information. The more information we have, the better our chances to replicate the issue. Replicating the issue internally is key, because that let's us know what the problem is and, in turn, how to fix it (ideally).

Also, I feel it's worth noting that, while it's currently the intended behavior for monsters with the Waller affix to be able to spawn tightly near a character, that doesn't mean the functionality is set in stone forever. We've seen a lot of great feedback from players on the affix (like giving walls HP or purposefully staggering where the walls spawn) that we're definitely reviewing.

For the purpose of troubleshooting, though, it's important for us to identify how the affix is supposed to work right now -- what behavior is intended vs. what isn't -- and make that distinction as clear as possible for you. Even if you disagree with how the affix is designed, we still want to be able to fix the bug, and understanding what you're experiencing (normal mechanics vs. bug) is a key part of that.

As far as walls spawning on top of me, trapping my character and rendering it immobolized, I seem to notice it the most if I'm moving at the time the wall debuff happens. It doesn't happen just because I am moving, but if the bug occurs, it seems to occur when I'm on the move, a percentage of the time.
Reply Quote
People are complaining about being trapped by stupid spammable insta cast walls.

what is the difference if the wall is glitched and your trapped inside of it or your trapped inside of 2 or 3?

there is no difference.

the goal is not perfectly operating lines of code. who cares about that.

the goal is perfectly tense gameplay....not hopeless and discouraging...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]