Diablo® III

Death due to Waller Affix Bug, Please Address. (pic)

04/23/2013 06:37 PMPosted by FallenAngel
So getting Han Solo'd has been officially recognized as a bug? Nice.

haha, han solo'd
Reply Quote
how about changing wall to be breakable.

give it 3-10 hitpoints, give it force armor to reduce all incoming damage to 1 dmg. that way a wall will take between 3-10 attacks to destroy.

alternatively. if a wall spawns on a player, then destroy the segment of wall the player is stuck in . that way there is a clear gap where you can move back and front (but not left and right) (if you get what I mean)
Reply Quote
So the mobs spawning a wall on top of you so you can not move is a bug? This has been happening to me since day one (either by one-three wall sections), i thought it was built into their AI by Blizzard developers as a smart way to use mechanics, along with vortexing you to a desecrate then jailing you to kill you, mobs that have the fast affix with out it in their name, invincible/annoyingly disappear able mobs, shield affix monsters having two-three shields active, horde affix mobs waiting to encircle you before laying down ground D.O.T.s, mortaring you in melee distance, and lastly the pentagon fire chains! (try solo killing flying creatures in pentagon fire chains, you will always have at least one fire chain on you the whole time.)
Reply Quote
Go to keep depths or any dungeon w/ tight corridors and fight waller affix elites, you'll eventually get sandwiched between two walls since there is very minimal space for walls to spawn except on top of one another.

Also I believe you guys should allow certain skills to move past or over walls. I find it kind of silly to be a DH with a "vault" ability but it can't get over a 4 foot barrier. Then again the concept of melee attacks being able to go through the walls but ranged attacks can't is a bit silly too.
Reply Quote
Seems like I might have had a wall or two placed directly on me while I was in Spirit Walk and the boss cast the wall right as my protection ended.

The result is that I am stuck in one wall and cannot move at all.

Waller is fine when they make a long "U" shaped construct as there is one spot you can usually escape. Letting bosses make small walls anywhere is what causes you to be trapped.
Reply Quote
I was one of the skeptics, but I did actually see this happen to me recently. It's happened on both my Demon Hunter and my Barbarian, but no other classes as yet. I believe it does only happen with the groups of four champions. Because they can individually spawn single walls wherever they want, one of them has a chance of spawning right up your pooper. This has the undesireable effect of rooting the character.

I honestly treat this phenomenon the same way I treat Jailer: Fight as much as I can, wait for the wall to crumble, move on. I can see how it would be frustrating to some, however. It is a legitimate bug and probably should receive some attention. I'd like to see items fixed before that, however. It's just not that big a concern to me.
Reply Quote
actually i find it interesting.

do you die to jailer? you can't move out of jailer either.

i should think any class other than a barb, jailer and waller are more or less equivalent. its time to hit that escape key. can you leap out of walls?
Reply Quote
Hey all,

Thanks so much for your reports. At the moment, our QA team is having difficulty reproducing this bug internally, so we have a small request.

If you're still running into situations where Waller monsters are spawning their walls right on top of your characters, we would really appreciate a list of steps that you took to get this bug to occur or a video that shows when and where this happens. (While we're super thankful for the reports and screenshots you've submitted thus far, we just need some additional details to figure out what's going on.)

For clarity: Waller champions will sometimes spawn multiple walls in a tight formation near a player, which can limit mobility. This is not a bug. However, if a single Waller wall is spawned right on top of a character, causing it to be unable to move, then that's a bug and we would like to know more about these situations.

Thank you!

Remove the affix untill you make it work,why would the customers pay for your teams fails?so many patchnotes that it was fixed,and its still there,and you dare to come out and say "write us some video" ? are you serious?does blizz remove the logic limits surgically? Remove the "waller" from all mobs,and then,after 12 yeards,put it in your diablo 4 (which started in 2000 and gonna be developed until 2025).Seriusly,

Ive stuck millions of times,especially when its fast/waller , for some reason,you guys dont fix !@#$,never,just patchwerk(lol) , this 1.0..0.08.9859.96565 patch is still in development,why the hell you make patchnotes for something it will be in game after 5 months,death is faster than you in many many cases

even death from smoking is FASTER than you.

and stop putting fancy words in your text.
Reply Quote
One time I fought champion Demon Overlords (big Fallen guys with beat sticks) that spawned a wall on one of their own guys. It was in a tight space next to me with a couple other walls up.
Reply Quote
actually i find it interesting.

do you die to jailer? you can't move out of jailer either.

i should think any class other than a barb, jailer and waller are more or less equivalent. its time to hit that escape key. can you leap out of walls?

Please clarify: Are you saying that the waller bug itself is an InstaKill(TM), or that it's just difficult to get out of? Having experienced the bug, I can say with confidence that it does not directly damage the character; just holds them there while the Elite pounds on them.

Why do you think the Barbarian is any different? I can Vault out of Jailer with my Demon Hunter, and I can Whirlwind/Wrath of the Berserker to ignore Jailer with my Barbarian. Actually, now you mention it, I can ignore all control-impairing affixes with my Barbarian, but this thread isn't about that.

Enough of that particular rabbit trail. These two points apply almost universally:

-Waller is broken. This can be proven.
-The fans are annoyed by the bug. Some are frothing at the mouth over it. I'm at peace with it, but wouldn't mind a fix in the future.
Reply Quote
Screenshot of being stuck in just one wall, just happened to me.
http://i.imgur.com/OrUpoQX.jpg

All I was doing was firing elemental arrow and hunger arrow, not moving at all. I click all around and was unable to move. I wouldn't of notice I was stuck in the wall, if it hadn't been for a champion who had just died and was doing the molten explosion.
Edited by Jtveclipse12#1566 on 4/24/2013 1:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Waller is one of the most unfair CC affixes in the game. Particularly for ranged classes. DH's and Wiz's MUST attack from a distance, there are no other option. And the waller affix, when not cast on top of the player, is cast in a way that makes impossible to attack.

But this is old. Everyone in this forum knows about this broken mechanic of the game. I'm just pissed that it wasn't fixed yet... either making them breakable or not allowing them to be cast in a way that the player cannot outline it.
Reply Quote
Hey all,

Thanks so much for your reports. At the moment, our QA team is having difficulty reproducing this bug internally, so we have a small request.

If you're still running into situations where Waller monsters are spawning their walls right on top of your characters, we would really appreciate a list of steps that you took to get this bug to occur or a video that shows when and where this happens. (While we're super thankful for the reports and screenshots you've submitted thus far, we just need some additional details to figure out what's going on.)

For clarity: Waller champions will sometimes spawn multiple walls in a tight formation near a player, which can limit mobility. This is not a bug. However, if a single Waller wall is spawned right on top of a character, causing it to be unable to move, then that's a bug and we would like to know more about these situations.

Thank you!

Then your QA team isn't even playing the game.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
I just had a wall spawn directly on top of my character. It was not multiple walls, but one wall.

Unfortunately, I did not have FRAPS open so I couldn't start recording it. I will try to record it next time.

As far as the environmental factors needed to reproduce this bug, I cannot ascertain what exactly I did to trigger it. I just know that I happened to be moving away from enemies at the time it happened.

I'm afraid I cannot give you any more details than this. =(
Reply Quote
ive been killed from being trapped inside one wall and multiple walls, as for a death on hc deal with it.you knew the risk and lost, glitch, bug, and/or error is part of that risk.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
I suspect that the issue involved here has to do more with latency and the client/server not being in complete sync with each other on exactly where the player is standing at the time the server sends the client the wall coordinates. This wouldn't surprise me in the least given the latency issues battle.net has been experiencing lately, and it fits the scenarios we're facing to a T.
Reply Quote
good morning.
it's happening to me yesterday evening in act 3 Area from quest 1 inferno difficulty.
i went my char upstairs in the middle of the stair the elite pack with waller, plague, and arcane attribute casts the walls
and the arcane under your feet and you cannot move.
jump doesnt work. it makes a jump on the position and not away from the dangerous area.
second wall cast the same procedure.
cast damage reduce, potion and so on and finally die....

-- affix arcane often they cast it with a precision under your feet
-- affix vortex and arcane they put you on the arcane circle
-- waller with minions or without, they make you cannot move

so this should your qa team also review then this is really often happening.
so you have no long playing time to get showed that this is happening...

petitation for character rollback for those players dying by the waller bug!!!!
Edited by Atreides#2114 on 4/24/2013 11:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Ok, let's try to workout the logic based on the latency theory.

1. Elite with with waller affix sees player, noted he is standing at position(x,y)

2. Walling proc triggered. Calculate the coordinate for the wall to be constructed based on player position.e.g. (x + 5, y + 5), execute walling.

3. Player being knockback/whatever that make it move/shifted from (x,y) to (x+4.9999, y+4.9999), new coordinate send to server.

4. Wall fall down on the player ====X==== (where X = player), result send to server. Game rules apply: Nothing can move in the wall and prevent objects move through the wall (hence you have the effect being "stuck") to create the effect of "trapping"/"limit" the player movement.

5. Player die.

A more foolproof way to code this is, implement a lock. (without even the need to replicate the issue, eliminate such thing by design)

Meaning, before the wall is landed, it needs to acquire a lock on the calculated coordinate, nothing can "occupy" it once the lock is acquire.

So, if any object attempt to hit or land on that coordinate while the wall has the lock, the object will be limited from reaching that coordinate by a safe distance (maybe -5. e.g. should land on (10,10), but wall is at (10, 10), so (5,10) or (5, 5) will be good.)

and the wall can land safely.
Reply Quote
Nice to see a post that got effect on this topic. I would recommend the devs to try reproduce it with a demon hunter, as a dh myself i find myself frequent "trapped" (far from every time, but enoguth times conistent to make me notices it). Packs with 4 champions cause more trouble aswell because they put down wall more often, and it's usaly the second or third wall that you get stuck in, when you try vault around the first spawned wall.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]