Diablo® III

Two ways blizzard must improve D3 to regain fans

1) Offline mode. Especially now that it will be going to consoles.
In starcraft 2 hots, when you are in the loading screen....you dont just load the mission, you also stream the data!

So asking an offline mode is, IMO, never gonna happen.
Reply Quote
How about instead of getting set item or legendary drops, a player can get a $2-$70 off the purchase of the expansion drop, or a a ticket drop that can be submitted to blizzard in a contest for a paid trip to the Blizzcon convention?

The possibities are endless...

p.s. I am getting tired of farming Act3.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
03/17/2013 04:27 PMPosted by FrodoFragins
Why so hostile towards two things that would be a huge thank you to the 10 million plus that bought the game. Player made content would likely be delivered much quicker than Blizzard could do. And if they're smart they can monetize some of them. Counterstrike, Team Fortress, DoTA and many other games were the result of developers letting their players base create content.

No, this flys in the face of everything Blizzard has been trying to do, Protect the game. There is no future in a game that is pirated, hacked, modded and put on private servers. D3 is Blizzard. having it go the route you suggest will not save a game but kill it. I bought the game and I want it protected.
Reply Quote
The fact that the console versions have offline mode is big smack in the face to the PC users. Having the server smarts on the console version will just make it easier for people to hack anyway. You can't have it both ways.

The excuse for D2 being hacked to death was the way battle net was written. I have yet to hear a logical reason why the game can't be secure and have a separate offline mode.
Edited by FrodoFragins#1142 on 3/19/2013 3:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/16/2013 07:34 PMPosted by Elderone
Shortly after they go offline we would see pirated,illegal , modded private servers up just like we saw in D2.

Why not just not include multiplayer with this offline mode? Is that so difficult?
Reply Quote
Gentelman, as much I I like your ideas, let's be more realistic.
D3 is kind of abandoned in its development cycle as updates are semi-relevant to the game and they come out with months' breaks. We will never see the option you mentioned because all their prgramming power is directed to WOW, Stracraft or other profitable games. Patches are too slow to arrive which makes more and more members of the community leave because of bored or lack of anything to do. IMO they should fix their attitude towards this game in the 1st place. This would help a lot.
Reply Quote
The excuse for D2 being hacked to death was the way battle net was written. I have yet to hear a logical reason why the game can't be secure and have a separate offline mode.

you mean you have yet to hear one that you can make a counterargument to. Its not even a question that placing the entire game (which you need to do to have offline mode) on a player's computer would, besides inflating the game size, make it vastly easier for pirates to emulate and hackers to find holes in. Safety through Secrecy
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
03/17/2013 12:40 PMPosted by BastardSword
Way one: hire blizzard north back. remake the game.

Umm they quit , turned they're back on Diablo an walked away. Since then they have made nothing but loser games like hellgate london.
Reply Quote
While mods would be EXCELENT, it does seem a bit strange to claim that diablo 2 and WoW supported them... Diablo 2 HAD mods, but there was no good way to create modded content, and I guess I don't know about WoW. Warcraft 3 however, that had LOADS of modded content, and it was incredible. It's why I played it for nearly a decade. It spawned the MOST POPULAR GAME IN THE WORLD.
Reply Quote
The only way i can see this happening is if they created a new offline realm similar to the ptr that allows you to only download your current characters and play them offline. This would let you play offline if you so desire to and modify the game if you wanted. Then by only allowing the download there wont be any uploading ect which means no hacks, dupes, ect.. that can be created on the user end. This would be the only way i can see it being implemented and might be the safest way at that.
Reply Quote
03/17/2013 07:00 PMPosted by Elderone
No, this flys in the face of everything Blizzard has been trying to do, Protect the game. There is no future in a game that is pirated, hacked, modded and put on private servers. D3 is Blizzard. having it go the route you suggest will not save a game but kill it. I bought the game and I want it protected.

It does? The first, second, and fourth situation you have mentioned have already occurred. Additionally by providing offline mode for consoles, not only are you slapping the PC users who requested offline in the face, but you're actually running the risk of piracy just as much if not more so. The consoles are nowhere near as secure as people claim they are...

The reality is no matter how secure you think a system is, there is always a flaw somewhere. Due to that fact there will always be hacking, botting, piracy, private servers, etc. The only potential solution would be to run a game from the cloud, but even then (when it becomes more common) I'm sure someone will figure out how to break the system in one way or another.

To be quite blunt, this type of opinion is where the problem of online-only comes from. Until end users and software developers realize that they will never be able to fully secure their software, the end users will have to deal with various disruptive forms of DRM.

I'd go a step further even, because ultimately, not only is this belief damaging to the gaming industry, but it is one of the biggest reasons behind security breaches on the internet. Faulty belief that is system is totally secure is what creates victims. Where there is a will, there is a way.

So... yeah. Buy into if you want, but really the pc always online, console offline is really just showing us where priorities are. Forget the existing fan base, we need to come up with a new one.
Reply Quote
The fact that the console versions have offline mode is big smack in the face to the PC users. Having the server smarts on the console version will just make it easier for people to hack anyway. You can't have it both ways.

What is the number 1 concern from PC game publishers? Piracy. D3 is always online, can't be pirated. 12m sold. Soon every AAA title from big pubs will be online only.

What is the number 1 concern from console game publishers? Used game sales. Gamestop is still around, but publishers are figuring out ways to deter used game sales - season pass, 1 time use content that is only available with new games.

So yes, you can have it both ways.
Edited by Monsta#1979 on 3/19/2013 7:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Always wanted offline mode from the start, so +1000000
Reply Quote
03/19/2013 07:19 PMPosted by Monsta
What is the number 1 concern from PC game publishers? Piracy. D3 is always online, can't be pirated.

I get that you're exaggerating a little bit - as piracy being #1... well. If that's a developers first concern I WON'T buy a single product. There will be more clunky DRM than there will be game.

As far as an always online game being unable to be pirated... that's a myth. Just because a game may be always online doesn't mean that traffic can't be redirected. Always online means there's always a stream of traffic - it doesn't mean that traffic is going where it was intended to go. Doing so is against TOS, but I'm pretty sure people who are pirating don't really care.

If you're interested, read the EULA. It basically breaks down everything someone does when trying to break security. If there weren't methods of circumvention, there would not be provisions to deal with them. It's really that simple.

Of course, nobody is ever caught violating EULA or TOS right? /sarcasm

If you follow sites like Gamasutra, etc, you may have even noticed entire articles devoted to this subject. Strangely games WITHOUT any sort of DRM actually see a lower rate of piracy. Why? Because a lot of people in scenes like that enjoy circumvention and taking credit for it.

Pretending that an always online requirement prevents piracy is simple naive. It means that you don't understand how or why piracy is occurring, and are willing to punish the honest consumers in an attempt to stop what you don't understand.

03/19/2013 07:19 PMPosted by Monsta
What is the number 1 concern from console game publishers? Used game sales. Gamestop is still around, but publishers are figuring out ways to deter used game sales - season pass, 1 time use content that is only available with new games.

You're right, and Gamestop is probably going to go the way of the dinosaurs unless they change their business model (which they seem very reluctant to do). HOWEVER, piracy is just as big of a concern on consoles as PC. Most developers don't seem to acknowledge this fact.

Again, I won't go into details, but even the uncrackable PS3 is running pirated copies of games. Xbox and WII have been doing so since just after their launch. PS3 took longer, but after the removal of OtherOS and a few lawsuits, you had some guys crank up their effort... and surprise, the unbreakable system was broken.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]