Diablo® III

Suggestion: Better movement speed cap

Currently the movement speed cap is 25% bonus movement speed cap on item. Almost everyone wishes the movement speed cap can be increased. However, increasing movement speed cap on items will let the current fastest classes run even faster. That itself is not a problem. The problem is that running too fast on a bad connection can lead to "black screens" and degrade user experience.

To repeat again the above. Blizzard is not allowing us a higher movement speed cap on items because certain classes (using skill and shrine) can break some technical speed limit and result in complains of "black screen". The higher the limit allowed, the more frequently players will start to experience desync from servers.

Thus my suggestion for this issue; remove the 25% item speed cap, impose a 200% character speed cap instead. The character cap is the total movement speed by all items, skills and shrine. It also doesn't have to be 200. It can be higher at 250% depending on what blizzard feels is acceptable.

Thus for the slow classes (Wizard and WD) lacking spammable movement skills, they can decide to tackle the issue via stacking items with movement bonus. This is NOT FREE movement speed. It will come at the cost of DPS or EHP. But at least the option exists.

As for the fast classes, they have the option to continue as before (that is using skills which buffs movement speed) or they also can stack items with movement and have the option to use other skills.
Edited by Wtflag#1258 on 3/9/2013 1:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
What the hell are you talking about? Are you saying that this game is bound to the same limitations as a 10 year old game?

I'm sure even if the movement cap was 50% it still wouldn't make "black screen"
Reply Quote
View profile
25% is arbitrary number that blizzard uses. It could have been 15 , 25, or 50.
Reply Quote
Movement speed has a cap for many reasons.

Some of which are that there are numerous skills that have traveling time calculations to get its target. There are also a lot of difficulties that will be encountered here especially on the side of the skill snipers. They will be nearly unbeatable with this removal of the cap.

Increasing the passive movement speed cap will entail re-balancing skill projectile travel time. As of now, we can already reach very high movement speed with active skills such as spirit walk, sprint, tactical advance, wotb etc.

Connection syncing should not be a problem unless people are playing on a slow dial-up internet, i personally play with only a measly 256-386 kbps (barely 1/3 of an 1 mb) allocation in my connection. I never had an issue of desync during party intense farming and video recordings when using my barb WW build and DH vault movements.

I think the movement speed that we have that combines passive and active skills is more than enough in our farming runs.
Edited by ZRaiyne#6337 on 3/9/2013 2:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
What the hell are you talking about? Are you saying that this game is bound to the same limitations as a 10 year old game?

The current highest maximum speed possible is 100% (character default)

+ 25% item movement speed bonus
+ 15% vanguard movement speed bonus
+ 20% WOTB movement speed bonus
+ 50% marathon movement speed bonus
+ 25% fleeting shrine
= 235%

Will that make you "black screen"?
Reply Quote

I think the movement speed that we have that combines passive and active skills is more than enough in our farming runs.

Enough for monk maybe, not for wizard or WD who lack spammable movement skills or passives.

I want the option to stack movement speed if I desire.
Reply Quote
View profile

+ 25% fleeting shrine
= 235%

No
Reply Quote

+ 25% fleeting shrine
= 235%

No

Nice. What about those outside US with 300 ping?

Anyway, I certainly have no problems if we just remove all movement speed caps.

Although I wonder why Blizzard hasn't done it yet, since "black screen" isn't a thing anymore.
Edited by Wtflag#1258 on 3/9/2013 2:16 AM PST
Reply Quote

Enough for monk maybe, not for wizard or WD who lack spammable movement skills or passives.

I want the option to stack movement speed if I desire.

Spirit walk + massive aoe skills + gold pickup radius is very efficient for WD's as it is in farming. Critical mass + worm hole for wiz's are also very good.

Anyway, there have been threads like this months ago. Giving it a good read would help you answer your question. As it is now, the simple answer would be that you can't do that and there won't be a change to that in a very long time.

By the way, i am very from the US. Thousands of miles away with a 38.6 kbps connection, but a surprising 216ms ping. :) Max movement speed on barb doesn't give me black screens. Never had one.
Edited by ZRaiyne#6337 on 3/9/2013 2:18 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile

No

Nice. What about those outside US with 300 ping?

Anyway, I certainly have no problems if we just remove all movement speed caps.

Although I wonder why Blizzard hasn't done it yet.

You are referring to a team that finally added an ID all function in patch 1.08. Changes are slow.
Reply Quote
Spirit walk + massive aoe skills + gold pickup radius is very efficient for WD's as it is in farming. Critical mass + worm hole for wiz's are also very good.

Anyway, there have been threads like this months ago. Giving it a good read would help you answer your question. As it is now, the simple answer would be that you can't do that and there won't be a change to that in a very long time.

Spirit walk is not exactly spammable.

Worm hole falls flat during areas with no enemies. (Or when a pebble decides to foil your dastardly plans)

Both methods are far from consistent.

In any case, if you read my OP carefully, I have already posted the perfect solution which solves all existing technical problems with removing the item speed cap.

Only thing left is for Blizzard to implement it.
Edited by Wtflag#1258 on 3/9/2013 2:26 AM PST
Reply Quote
I don't mind that there is a cap, but I wish the base move speed of characters were increased by 10-15%. The game is dreadfully slow without at least 12% move speed boots.
Reply Quote
Yes REALLY slow. You would think putting a cap on movement would make sense because the cap was like SUPER fast. But it's not. It's barely moving at running speed lol.

I totally agree with this this is an awesome idea. Not a cap on gear movement speed but a character speed cap is awesome.

+1 liked
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile

There are a few Tempest Rush Monks out there with enough +spirit per second on their items and the Exalted Soul passive that could tell you that this game and battle.net still suffer the exact same affliction as the old D2 did - de-syncs due to moving too fast for too long. The server side of the system can handle fast movement in short bursts, but not continuously. It's just that...bad.

World of Warcraft suffers the same malady, but it's rarely encountered because movement speed buffs that break the standard movement speed cap of 451% (maximum mounted flying speed as a Paladin) last for very short durations, much like what Diablo 3's "fast" movement speed boosts do.

It's sad, but even battle.net 2.0 can't handle very fast movement speed. Offline, it wouldn't be a problem. Online, it'd desync you constantly past whatever maximum threshold they have now.

It would, however, be nice to allow movement speed from items to get the player to at least 90% of that hard cap so we at least feel faster in the game. The shrines would obey the hard cap as well, so that even if the shrine would otherwise have taken you over the hard cap (for the sake of argument that is), you'll top out at the hard cap and not constantly de-sync.

All that aside, before even that happens, it would be nice to allow movement speed affixes to roll on all item slots instead of forcing them into only boots and certain legendary items (this is part of why the legendaries trump just about everything else right now).

Reply Quote
I think Tias nailed it on the head or close to it.

It won't make you de-sync or black screen but the game seems barely able to handle a 24 run speed plus non-marathon sprint very well. Game wigs out if you start simply cutting hard turns and doubling back on your path, etc. But hey, maybe it won't get any worse than that if you up it?
Edited by Brawl#1201 on 3/18/2013 5:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I agree with your solution. Though honestly I'd be happy with a lower cooldown on leap, greater monster density to speed up spirit walk / teleport spam, and dashing strike that doesn't require a target. But your solution would actually open up more build options, rather than just buffing skills I like to use to move faster :p
Reply Quote
Honestly I just wish the base run speed was faster. Compared to Diablo 2 I feel like I'm moving through molasses, which isn't fun.
Reply Quote
Ahh wizs are one of the few classes which can travel the furthest in a short amount of time with wormhole teleport and a really fast attack. with 2.5 attack speed I can cast teleport 5 times before it starts the cool down. You take in account critical mass and I'm teleporting all over a map while dropping wicked winds once in awhile for critical mass to trigger. The only thing which stops me are the corners on maps I get stuck on, walls, getting frozen, and so forth.

either way the movement cap should be increased to at least %60

12% movement on feet, pants, armor, weapon, and shoulders. I dont think there is movement on helms but basically the cap should be movement% * the max items you can wear with it

By making a limit less it tells us we can't use the items which are available to use because some of the stats won't be counted.

They should also remove MF cap as well. paragon levels got rid of that feel you need mf on gear all the time. Its nice if you can get it in there but hp and dps is more important

capping movement is like capping the amount of critical chance / critical damage you can get from items.... which some reason that is a high possibility in future patches to make people focus more on trying to get super high main stat vs just relying on critical chance / damage... sort of like what they did with AS
Edited by MikeAkaJB#1122 on 3/19/2013 6:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]