Diablo® III

Minimum intellectual requirement before posting

03/19/2013 12:29 PMPosted by ZaPLaS
now, why would you say something like this? Ok, don't answer please, as a biologist I wont get into it

Forgive me. It was more illustrative than it was a condemnation of our hairy cousins. I meant no disrespect to the noble ape, whose nimble antics at the local zoo captivated me on many a summer afternoon during my middle school years. Truth be told, I think chimps would do relatively well on the D3 boards, as measured against the average poster.

Kidding! (sorta)

hehe, awesome Exile. You are good poster.
Sounds like somebody chose the wrong field, then. 90-120k is a pretty normal range for a senior level software developer (aka 5 years or so of experience). Sure, it's a lot of money, but it's not like if you make 100k a year you even own a house around here.

I'm getting a steal of a deal only paying 1800 for a 2 br place around here. 100k means savings but not very much. if you're making 40-50k you better be living with your significant other or living in a studio place or else you are very uncomfortable.

I'm not disputing any of that. I'm only stating that it's out-of-touch to act like 100k is the median income, even in cities with higher cost of living. It's the norm in a small percentage of fields. Also, even in LA, if you're making 100k a year and don't have some excess cash, I'd say you're living above your means. You wouldn't be alone, because it seems like standard operating procedure around here. I agree, if you're paying down a new roadster, dining out every night, paying for a new house, and...well, you can pretty much stop there, 100k isn't what it used to be, I'll grant you that. Live reasonably and it goes much further. Again, I agree with you that it's not what it was in the '90s. The cost of living has noticeably scaled up, while the salaries effectively remain the same. Speaking of, time to get back to work. :P
Too long, can't read :(
I never said it's median, I'm saying it's not "top of the profession". It was implied earlier that these devs must be awesome if they're making this much - absolutely false.

I've worked with plenty of people making 120-140 who contradict natural selection. There are plenty of undeserving people making tons of money, so salary isn't a valid argument to justify somebody's expertise, especially around here where 100k is not extravagant but in other parts of the country it certainly is.
Edited by dac#1303 on 3/19/2013 1:07 PM PDT
I think, in the end, the professionalism/maturity will lie in the educated community who respond calmly to instigators--calmly, but with limits/regulations.

If there is an attainable goal that anyone can reach in stopping people from being that way, I hope they follow it, but I think we just have to live with people who annoy us and not let our emotions dictate how those people are treated. As extenuating circumstances will always be present, this is just a generalized philosophy.
I generally find bad grammar a bit more digestible than intellectual snobbery, although in this case it doesnt apply as you are simply trolling.
Yeah this thread has actually annoyed me more than any bad grammar could.
OP: get over it. Like it or not, Everyone posting with a D3 account paid the same amount of money you did for the game, and is thus allowed to say whatever the hell they want to, however the hell they want to(within the ToS obviously).

It's the damn internet, and YES, it's just a gaming board. If you haven't learned to just ignore things you don't like or things that bother you by now then that's a statement of your own intellect regardless of how well spoken you are.

03/19/2013 01:17 PMPosted by Michael
I think, in the end, the professionalism/maturity will lie in the educated community who respond calmly to instigators--calmly, but with limits/regulations.

Or just ignore it and let the mods do their jobs. Responding calmly in essay form to some angry dude probably won't help as much as letting his thread die off. And if it doesn't die? IGNORE IT. Click on a new thread.

This 'minimum intellectual requirement before posting' rule is one of the dumbest things i've seen on this forum. Video Games can be enjoyed by the stupidest to the smartest person, and they all have their own valid opinions, regardless of how well they convey it.
03/19/2013 11:38 AMPosted by Stentorian
I know it's a gaming forum (and who cares about dumb things like punctuation right?), but is it so hard to learn the difference between "they're" "their" and "there", or to not use "rediculous" as an adjective describing D3?

Anyone who claims they never once accidentally misused "their" "there" and "they're" is a liar.

People often misspell ridiculous.

Not sure these are the problems. I understand your sentiment though, sometimes reading these forums makes me want to weep for humanity.
Edited by FalconGK81#1833 on 3/19/2013 2:54 PM PDT
03/19/2013 02:50 PMPosted by Parker
Or just ignore it and let the mods do their jobs. Responding calmly in essay form to some angry dude probably won't help as much as letting his thread die off. And if it doesn't die? IGNORE IT. Click on a new thread.

I think you are right in that ignoring the thread is the answer in the end, but, depending of course on what the problem is, it shouldn't just be prejudicially ignored because a highly emotionally charged person is talking about it at the moment or because it's concerning a topic about which you've already made up your mind. Speaking in general, of course.
A majority of posts in these forums make you wonder "are these people for real?" not only because of their non-sensical content, but also failing at basic grammar you'd expect from 3rd graders.

I know it's a gaming forum (and who cares about dumb things like punctuation right?), but is it so hard to learn the difference between "they're" "their" and "there", or to not use "rediculous" as an adjective describing D3?

It really makes them look stupid when they target game designers (all from reputed universities and make close to, if not more, $100K/year) and flame them for producing a game that apparently falls short of their "Expectations".

Free speech is one thing, but "destructive" free speech where rampant useless posts by trolls and misinformed folks distort and negatively influence the opinions of the passive community member who read the forums and get the wrong idea should be minimized. There are plenty of constructive criticisms of D3 (and these are usually the ones that get blue posts). We don't need more posts about the game designers' belly size or sexual preferences.

You have my vote for grammar police of the general forums, just stay away from the Barb forums, their/there/they're is already one/won on patrol
So many edited posts. Ha atleast you are all proof reading >:D
Personally, creating a thread related to the actual game would be what I would classify as the "Minimum requirement."

Just sayin'. Dem's be a Diablo tree forumz.
You just need to pass a test that shows you understand basic probability. A majority of the purely stupid QQ threads are from people who just don't understand how probability and statistics works and therefore decide Blizzard is out to get them.
If you can understand the message that someone is saying, then there is no reason to degrade them for their lack of spelling ability.

The manner in which one communicates, well or poorly, does not necessarily represent one's ability to positively contribute to a forum.

What is a positive contribution? In these Diablo forums, it's anything that follows the forum rules, does not aggravate the Blues, and proves a point relative to Diablo 3. That's about as specefic as it gets.

You have no right to tell people how they can post in these forums, or establish a minimum value for that matter. There may be many rude people who often are not fully educated on the topics they are arguing, but that does not make you much better than them or a mediator.

Instead, you could go to some other forums that suit your needs.
Edited by Wolverine#1833 on 3/19/2013 6:57 PM PDT
Many posting speak SEVERAL languages, so plz try forgiving a missplaced "there, thier, they're," as it makes you look like you're ignorant & intolerant.

Edit: Even if certain ones are less educated, so what?

You only learn multiple languages because your native tongue is inadequate. Learn to speak Amerikan nub.
^^ Having good spelling does not necessarily mean an educated poster, either.
Many posting speak SEVERAL languages, so plz try forgiving a missplaced "there, thier, they're," as it makes you look like you're ignorant & intolerant.

Edit: Even if certain ones are less educated, so what?

Agreed. Not everyone speaks English as a 1st language, and a lot of those who do still can't use it.

Also, I'm guessing that a lot of people use something like Babelfish to translate.

As long as someone gets a point across, who cares?
I love that this broke out into an argument about salaries.

Oh internets, is there anything you won't do?
I have nocied that in general the culture of D3 fourm posters are angry, dissapointed and put down people. Are you not having fun playing the game or are you not having fun because you are not playing the game?
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]