Diablo® III

[Video] Introducing the CM Wizard of Monks

Check out my video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z25iweeViDg&feature=youtu.be

Build is laid out in the video. By the way, the build is only reliant on three skills and runes. FoT: Quickening, Breath of Heaven: Infused with Light and any Wave of Light variant, however for the stunlock, you want to use Blinding Light. You can literally pick any passive you want and you don't even need Serenity. Just wanted to throw that out there so you can make your own version of the build.
Edited by speedforce#1637 on 3/20/2013 2:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
LOL, that was slightly disappointing.

The ghom fight isnt fair towards TC, as he stands stills, as compared to most elites who move around, where teleport truly shines.

Also you are giving up the bonus damage from TC and 15% from BoH just to generate spirit.

Not really worth it IMO.
Reply Quote
The ghom fight isnt fair towards TC, as he stands stills, as compared to most elites who move around, where teleport truly shines.
I used the Ghom fight because he is easily accessible to where I can make a quick video to illustrate my point. I usually use this build in Ubers and yes it is possible to perpetually stunlock both bosses at the same time. If you are really keen on following monsters around to make sure that they are locked down, use Dashing Strike - Flying Side Kick. You do not need Thunderclap at all.

As you can see, the spirit gen is insane and I didn't even need Exalted Soul OR Empowered Wave. Does this sound like the 1 bell per 10 years like you were talking about?
Also you are giving up the bonus damage from TC and 15% from BoH just to generate spirit.

In this case you are trading a little bit of damage for utility. As you can see in the video, the speed of bell applications is enough so that mobs can barely do anything. They're stunned the whole time.

Add to the fact that the only competing class that can do something remotely like this is the CM-Wizard. All things considered, it's worth it to trade a little bit of damage in order to stunlock. The capability to stunlock alone can take a player very far in MP.
Reply Quote
have you tried this on elite packs and mp10 trash? I think the knockback of bells might be really annoying there.
Reply Quote
03/20/2013 03:48 AMPosted by chrisloup
have you tried this on elite packs and mp10 trash? I think the knockback of bells might be really annoying there.
On elite packs yes, MP10 trash not yet. I've been meaning to get to it but I've been working on my Max MF MP10 Budget Barbarian and the accompanying guide for that (which I may or may not publish, still undecided yet)

How can that which is stunned be knocked back? Come to think of it, it is possible since I've seen it before but the knockback isn't that bad and any large space created by the knockback can be solved with DS: FSK and Cyclone Strike.
Solo UBERS MP10 or GTFO! JK! xD
That's what I was thinking LOL but Shade said I wasn't able to output that many bells w/o ES and EW so I thought, what the hey, why not upload the basic build and demonstration
Edited by speedforce#1637 on 3/20/2013 3:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
03/20/2013 03:48 AMPosted by chrisloup

This^
The knockback will prevent this build from being useful outside of bossfights.

Anyways, if you're that keen on perma-stunning, use this build..
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aTgdYi!UVX!abYZYZ
..and combine it with Sledge Fist, Azurewrath and that amulet with CC for about 60% CC from gear.

It's a pretty solid alternative for a CM Wizard in Ubers since chain-stunning is really easy with DS; FSK. Outside of bossfights you can switch SSS for CS.
Edited by Joren#2795 on 3/20/2013 4:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Okay so I did a quick Act 1 run. The build is usable with Thunderclap. LOL I suppose that Infused with Light is THAT powerful. With Thunderclap though, there's a bit of a ramp up time where you activate SW, then BoH. 4pc Inna users shouldn't have that problem cause the SW cost is 5 at that point.

Dashing Strike does work pretty well (better than TC in my personal preference) plus it's pretty fun to use. I think Cyclone Strike would solve all problems but not that there's much problem in the first place.
Reply Quote
Only works on boss.
Because Bell knocks enemies away, except only boss...
Reply Quote
With a recent discovery by a fellow Monk Rhododendron, using it in conjunction with this build it is now overpowered and most likely very broken. The idea is to use Way of the Hundred Fists - Fists of Fury where it's suspected that the DoT is generating spirit due to Infused with Light. You can use this to spam WoL a ridiculous amount of times for crazy damage. It might not be chain stunning but they die so fast it doesn't even matter.
Reply Quote
With a recent discovery by a fellow Monk Rhododendron, using it in conjunction with this build it is now overpowered and most likely very broken. The idea is to use Way of the Hundred Fists - Fists of Fury where it's suspected* that the DoT is generating spirit due to Infused with Light. You can use this to spam WoL a ridiculous amount of times for crazy damage. It might not be chain stunning but they die so fast it doesn't even matter.

Tried it, but I can't really tell if it works. Might be because I don't have enough knowledge of it, but I didn't generate more Sp while spamming WoL than I would have anyhow. WotHF does generate more Sp with IwL compared to FoT, but I haven't tested any other rune that FoF. Is there a more elaborated essay on this discovery?
Edited by Joren#2795 on 3/20/2013 7:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
03/20/2013 07:20 AMPosted by Joren
With a recent discovery by a fellow Monk Rhododendron, using it in conjunction with this build it is now overpowered and most likely very broken. The idea is to use Way of the Hundred Fists - Fists of Fury where it's suspected* that the DoT is generating spirit due to Infused with Light. You can use this to spam WoL a ridiculous amount of times for crazy damage. It might not be chain stunning but they die so fast it doesn't even matter.

Tried it, but I can't really tell if it works. Might be because I don't have enough knowledge of it, but I didn't generate more Sp while spamming WoL than I would have anyhow. WotHF does generate more Sp with IwL compared to FoT, but I haven't tested any other rune that FoF.

From my limited testing last night, it doesn't work against bosses, presumably because it is single target. It seemed to work best against crowded mobs. It is very weird though. Sometimes it'll work and sometimes it doesn't. I think how I got it to work was BoH > WotHF (during IWL). How you can tell it works is that your Spirit refills extremely fast, and automatically without doing any more WotHF. I'll see if I can capture it on video.

Is there a more elaborated essay on this discovery?

Nope it's not very well known at this point. Has to do with the fact that Monk from Monk boards don't like IWL lol and for that matter, don't like any other WoL rune except Empowered Wave
Reply Quote
Okay I managed to reproduce it, here's the video for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAnIaKhuOuw
Reply Quote
This has been known in the monk discussion board from jsp for weeks now. I've been trying to get a pair of 1h weaps and an AS litany with and AS helm to try it out myself.
Reply Quote
03/20/2013 03:22 PMPosted by Spanky
This has been known in the monk discussion board from jsp for weeks now. I've been trying to get a pair of 1h weaps and an AS litany with and AS helm to try it out myself.
The FoF-IWL build, yeah, the stunlock build in my OP was unknown however.

You don't need an AS Litany and an AS helm could be pretty cheap. Just get a Natalya's Reflection with Average Dmg, AR pair that up with boots and then get an Average Damage, Dex, AR, IAS, CC ring. Check out my Monk for an example.

In the video I used Andariel's but in further testing, I found out that I was dying even with AR roll on the Helm and low fire dmg taken. I suggest a normal Mempo even if it doesn't have crit on it. Your fast IAS will compensate for the lower CC rating.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]