Diablo® III

"Ask the Devs" Round 2: Itemization - Answers (Part 1)

Q. "Love Leoric's Signet, but hate wearing a level 17 ring? Me too. Instead of farming Act II Normal to find a Leoric's Signet, let's go farm Inferno and get a level 63 version of the ring!"

Does this mean that every set and legendary item will have a chance of dropping in Inferno?

- Rowechelon#1918 (Americas [English])

really?
its idiots like this that ask such obvious questions that make these Q&A bad

Wrong. By deciding that this stupid question was worth answering, Blizzard is the one who makes these Q&A bad and a waste of time for everyone.
Reply Quote
No one has asked a question about the crafting methods?

How about a new crafting method that actually feels like Crafting, not gambling?

Drop new item ingredients that carries attributes, and you can "transmute" it together with a Normal, white item?

(Details in this post:)

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8197760356#3
Reply Quote
View profile
Travis: Yes, our plan is to handle Legendary items in a similar fashion to how we handle Rare items. Legendary items will roll at a level equal to the creature that dropped it. This means that, in addition to a Legendary’s stats rolling at the monster level, the base item stats will also roll at the monster's level. Right now, Rares don't work this way. Instead, their affixes roll at the level of the monster, but their base armor and weapon damage remain unchanged.

Interesting...

So that means the Pride of Cassius is the new BiS belt for Barbarians if it rolls Life Steal.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/pride-of-cassius

I'll see if the devs answer my 2nd question in the Ask the Devs before I jump to the conclusion that all rares are now going to be worthless for everyone.

It will still only roll 1% crit chance, since lamentation at level 63 only rolls 1% crit. And with only 1 random prop, that gives a max of only 200 strength. 300 strength can roll on witching hour. Life steal is good, but it can be handled on other items. The witching hour will still be competitive.

But I agree with you, some of these new items will be OP (but hey, the economy will be helped).
Edited by TheFunGun21#1392 on 3/20/2013 5:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
So how much longer before D3 is fun again?
Reply Quote

This. Since launch I don't think blizz has made 1 mention about changes to viable legendary recipes.

If you remembered correctly Blizzard proactively buffed recipes along with a previous rare drop buff.

the only recipe legendary/set that got buffed was hallowed defenders really since they only buffed weapons rolls. Aside from that ALL set/legendary plans received nothing except a name change lol and sages set even got nerfed. The dropped legendaries mostly got huge buffs and this basically killed any hope for the crafted legendaries and set items since they did not receive a buff.

At one time a nice rare or 7sins shoulder was good when rolled nicely, now its only vile wards or lucky ilvl63 crafted shoulders that matter. It would be nice if 7sins could have a chance to roll nicely, obviously not as godly as the ilvl 63 rolled stuff but at least somewhere decent.

That aside the weapons have always been horrible, look at griswolds masterpiece, looks like a cool sword its got ties to the games mythos and what do we get? a not so masterpiece sword, infact its been useless since launch! Thats almost a year now lol!

The fact that 90% of those set/legendary crafted stuff are so horrible is kind of disheartening since its been months and months and a simple boost in their roll potential would be all it takes to get them going but even that is too much work i suppose. :\
Edited by METATRON#1945 on 3/20/2013 5:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
[Quote]To give you an idea of what direction we're heading toward, though, here are just a few ideas that we're considering right now:
[ul]
  • The ability to change a portion of a particular stat on an item to another stat of your choice
  • The ability to augment an existing item with a stat bonus of your choice
  • As much as I think that would be fun to add an affix that I was missing on an item, I think that it would detract from farming items and allow people to much power to quickly. (Eg You can get items with CC and CD fairly cheaply from the auction house but to get IAS you have to either be lucky or rich). Allowing people to get fairly cheep items and then boost them to overly epic proportions may subtract from the game a little in my opinion. Or make it so you can not add trifecter stats..
    Edited by Divinewind#2841 on 3/20/2013 5:42 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    edit: whatever, isnt really topic related

can delete
    Edited by Odin#1507 on 3/20/2013 6:10 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    MVP
    View profile
    It will still only roll 1% crit chance, since lamentation at level 63 only rolls 1% crit. And with only 1 random prop, that gives a max of only 200 strength. 300 strength can roll on witching hour. Life steal is good, but it can be handled on other items. The witching hour will still be competitive.

But I agree with you, some of these new items will be OP (but hey, the economy will be helped).

That's not what I read when I read the statement.

03/20/2013 03:06 PMPosted by Lylirra
    This means that, in addition to a Legendary’s stats rolling at the monster level, the base item stats will also roll at the monster's level.

I'll also quote this.

I have seen some people speculate over whether or not this means the experience bonus on Leoric's Signet will increase, and the answer to that specific question is "yes," but how each bonus on a Legendary or Set items scales will ultimately depend on the bonus itself. Some bonuses (such as the +EXP bonus on Leoric’s Signet) scale equally well from level 1 to level 60. On the other hand, some bonuses like procs that generate pets, or procs that deal damage effects, don’t always scale well as you get to the higher levels, but those will be changed wherever possible to scale with the level that they drop at.

If they're looking into allowing Leoric's signet to roll more XP, it looks like they're looking into making other items roll higher stats as well.

This makes me think that it won't be 1% crit, and more like 6-9%.

Unless there's something I missed, it looks like it's not just the base item values. It looks like it's possibly the whole enchilada.

Which leads me into the question I had asked in the QA. "Will rares be able to roll affixes that are normally only found on Legendary items"

If you're going to go through all of the trouble to improve the quality of rares, but still not give them any chance to compete with a Legendary item, why even do it in the first place?
    Reply Quote
    I just wonder what was your expectations about this Q and A ? Its obvious that fixing itemisation will cost tons of work for the devs and i`m pritty sure that team working on d3 is quite small . What i`m trying to say is that we will get fixed itemisation and pvp arenas in Xpack and since Xpack looks very far away there nothing special to be told about at this point....
    Reply Quote
    03/20/2013 05:23 PMPosted by DeathStar
    I hope this will bring back some players cause i feel this game is slowly dying :( Can someone tell me if the same happened with d2 ? (ive started playing d2 with the LOD i was not playing in the begining) Were the playerbase going up and down before all the patchs and exp?

Diablo 2 had a lot of issues initially but it eventually became one of my favorite games as it built up to what it is today.

In my honest opinion, I feel like in D3 they made the game too casual to appeal to a wider player base. They added paragon levels to bring back the appeal of working towards a higher endgame level which was awesome. But the fact that you can just change all of your abilities to completely different abilities really hurt the overall involvement in character creation for me.

I think the itemization is an issue.. but I think the real game killer for me is the lack of consequence to my in game choices. It feels like right now nothing I do in game really matters because I can change my mind on anything, any time, easily. Leveling in D3 almost never feels like an accomplishment because from 1-60, it's too easy and from paragon 1-100, you get nothing but a small stat boost. In D2, you unlocked stat and talent points to boost your character so it gave you a level accomplishment through furthering your character customization.

Both had their flaws. But I think D3 has slipped away from the things that made D2 fun and never really included anything to replace them. I was more likely to level a 2nd-3rd character of the same class to play the other specs. It really improved the replay value beyond just item drops and grinding levels. I'm not proud of my characters in D3 like I was in D2. I really don't feel like my characters are mine. I feel like they're Blizzard's and that is not appealing.
    Edited by Canklestab#1580 on 3/20/2013 5:56 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    We were told that if we submitted questions that you would answer them based on rating. There were more than 250 questions, and this is the junk we get?

I get it, everyone is at PAX East.

Q. Will all legendaries found on Inferno roll level 63 base stat values (armor and dps values) and level 63 "non-base" (affixes) stat values?

Q. "Love Leoric's Signet, but hate wearing a level 17 ring? Me too. Instead of farming Act II Normal to find a Leoric's Signet, let's go farm Inferno and get a level 63 version of the ring!"

Does this mean that every set and legendary item will have a chance of dropping in Inferno?

The first two questions shouldn't have even needed a panel to get answered, they are simple clarifications to the vague descriptors that we received about itemization changes weeks ago.

The next three questions didn't receive a direct answer at all. All they provide is limited insight on the developers thought process concerning the question.

Wyatt: It’s hard to say for sure, but I don’t see any reason why not. As we revisit items in general, we’ll be looking at how crafting fits into the big picture, and it’s certainly possible that we’ll add more recipes at that time.

Why would you attempt to answer a question that you don't have a legit answer to? If you aren't willing or able to give feedback on a topic just ignore it like Blizzard ignores almost everything on the outside of its walls.

The last question is something that has been answered more then once over the last week on more than one forum.

This is playing out like another case of Blizzard being completely arrogant and ignoring its player base.
    Reply Quote
    i think they will give us to chance affixes or add affixes. but they will not crit change, crtit dmg, average dmg. i think they give us for adding options; chance to freeze, chance to stun, change to blind things. and changing options are more str,dex,vital,int.(also gamble one) but no change for crit dmg, crit change, avg dmg.

are you thinking guys, they will give you power to change crit change of inna pants?

come on, you will see exact first paragraph. trust me.
    Reply Quote
    Finally another human being who gets it.
    I've just been shaking my head wondering what the heck, happened..to this "Q&A" or even this game.
    Imo, This is not how you get players amped, this is how you get players to throw up thier hands & say "I give up, they're obviously not listening".

Lol, that's about how I felt after I read the Q&A.

"Here boy.. want a treat? You want the treat don't you. Sit boy! Sit!"
    Then the guy opens his hand and it's empty.
    "Ahaha! No treat. You stupid dog."

I feel like we're the dog and Blizzard is the butt-hole taunting us with false hopes of treats.
    Reply Quote
    Sorry, the adding sockets answer and tone of the response just sounds idiotic. The fact that a socket completely changes the value in items from worthless to useable is reason enough that it should be a big priority with itemization.

I can't tell you how many times I say "damn, wish that had a socket"

Being able to add sockets to items completely would change the game, it would make a ton more items competitive with manticores, skorns, etc.

I'm still skeptical about itemization changes in general, just making the legendary affixes scale to mob level 63 does nothing to fix the problems of the legendaries in general.

If I'm still saying "useless, no socket, no crit hit dmg, no lifesteal" in any order, that means the itemization changes failed, epically.

Remove the + random affixes from legendaries, make static affixes and make x stat, x-x(varies) that is the only way to return excitment to finding loot again.

Why do you have to pray the item drops then pray again that the item rolls very specifically? Why can an Echoing Fury range from 750dps to 1380+? that is the freaking problem, not only does it have to roll high, it has to roll with a socket, LS, etc.
    Edited by Bolo#1141 on 3/20/2013 6:12 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    I am 1000% behind allowing us to :

• Change a stat into another stat (i.e. change STR on a bow to DEX
    • Upgrade a stat (i.e. +50 DEX on an item -> +60 DEX)
    • Add socket (I don't care how much of a drag it is !!!)

I'm willing to spend all my gold and crafting mats on upgrading a good-looking armor I've found into something that is top-notch, instead of hunting for the best in-slot gear. Heck, I'll settle for 2nd best as long as I am able to personalize my items !
    Reply Quote
    Travis Day, Game Designer

This question can sound stupid but is Travis now leading team in place of Jay Wilson ?
    Reply Quote
    Would be nice if they had a 'currency' style system like PoE.

Where socketing items are in the form of tokens. This will cut down on the need for people to always have to socket something being a chore. The fact that these tokens convert sockets into the armor and being in limited quantity makes you re-think about if its worth socketing or not.

Doing socketing through a vendor and using gold or requiring mats makes it more of a chore than a simple token. Gold inflation is the big problem.

Also making these tokens NON- tradeable for gold would also help. Possible come up with more tokens that only tokens can be used to trade with each other.

Currently the gold system is a real big failure as they'll have to constantly make things a money sink. Inflation will be on the rise.
    Reply Quote
    i think, that blizzard first only published part 1, because they want to check the gamers reaction, and when the feedback is so bad like this above me and sure the next posts, they will be more careful with the answers in part 2 and 3 ......

i hope really that the following parts are taking us gamers seriously

best wishes from bavaria/germany (sorry bad english)
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]