Diablo® III

DemonHunter(SHADOWPOWER snapshot bug)

As it says, the demon hunter's shadow power uses a snapshot of the lifesteal when shadow power is activated so all channeling skills ex. Rapid fire, strafe and some other skills ex.spike trap does not lifesteal when they are used before shadow power is activated. This is a ridiculous bug, and i cant believe blizzard has not even noticed this one yet.

Get rid of the !@#$%^- snapshot for god's sake, it has already become an exploit for monks and you guys fixed that but seriously if shadowpower uses the same mechanism dont you think it will also be bugged? There is also an exploit for this where when using strafe during the effects of shadowpower, even after shadowpower is over and strafe is still active it will still lifesteal unless u stop strafing or something interrupts you.

Its an annoying bug cause playing as a glasscannon it gets very annoying up in higher mps when i use spiketraps and accidentally fire off 1 before i activate shadow power and immediately die to Reflect dmg elites as well as white mobs. The same goes with many other skills, BLIZZARD PLEASE FIX THIS!
Reply Quote
03/20/2013 09:59 PMPosted by GreenFairy
As it says, the demon hunter's shadow power uses a snapshot of the lifesteal when shadow power is activated so all channeling skills ex. Rapid fire, strafe and some other skills ex.spike trap does not lifesteal when they are used before shadow power is activated. This is a ridiculous bug, and i cant believe blizzard has not even noticed this one yet.

I think you have things backwards there buddy. Shadowpower is incapable of being affected by snapshot because it doesnt rely on gear to give you its effect.

On the other hand channeled abilities do suffer from snapshoting (strafe, rapid fire, etc). The easy fix for this (as ive mentioned in previous threads exactly like this) is to make it so the channeled abilities actively update their stats for every hit. That way if you activate a fury shrine, life steal ability, or something else then it takes it into account.

Monk sweeping wind had a similar problem. The buff was not actively updating stats each time it refreshed. Now it does though.
Reply Quote
03/21/2013 06:59 AMPosted by Morogoth
Shadowpower is incapable of being affected by snapshot because it doesnt rely on gear to give you its effect.

The OP isn't saying shadowpower itself is affected by some kind of snapshot he is saying other skills are affected by snapshotting shadowpowers lifesteal.

If you use shadowpower then strafe you will have the life steal until you stop the strafe. It also works the other way. If you strafe then use shadowpower you will not get any lifesteal. The life steal is attached to the attacks on cast not when the spell actually does damage. Its like this for every skill.

I actually thought they got rid of the strafe/shadowpower snapshotting but a quick search of the DH forums showed that they did not. I never used snapshotting strafe but I did try it with Chakram - Shuriken Cloud and its awesome with Rain of Vengeance - Beastly Bombs (lol reflect damage? didn't even notice). I personally hope they never fix it because I like the mechanics of the way it works. I also think the advantages of the snapshot far outway the disadvantages. I understand if they do fix it someday though.

The reason skills probably snapshot to save on server load. Its probably easier and uses less processing power to simply attach a skills properties on cast then to constantly have to check and update a skills properties.

03/20/2013 09:59 PMPosted by GreenFairy
Its an annoying bug cause playing as a glasscannon it gets very annoying up in higher mps when i use spiketraps and accidentally fire off 1 before i activate shadow power and immediately die to Reflect dmg elites as well as white mobs.

Getting a little off topic but if you are a true glass cannon then shadowpower wouldn't save you. One hit and you would be dead since the lifesteal is returned after you take damage.
Reply Quote
03/21/2013 09:01 AMPosted by Rapap
The OP isn't saying shadowpower itself is affected by some kind of snapshot he is saying other skills are affected by snapshotting shadowpowers lifesteal.

regardless of what they meant the title and what they say imply that shadowpower itself is snapshotting. which i clarify in my post isnt the case and the channeled abilities are. i also say that i agree with their general idea that they need to fix the problem.

03/21/2013 09:01 AMPosted by Rapap
The reason skills probably snapshot to save on server load. Its probably easier and uses less processing power to simply attach a skills properties on cast then to constantly have to check and update a skills properties.

i disagree. if this was the case they would have left sweeping wind alone. they fixed it though to actively update stats. which i also mention in my post as being a similar fix they made.

they do need to make channeled abilities actively update because stats do change in combat, especially in groups. it only takes someone casting a buff, clicking a shrine, or you moving through a aura affect (bubbles from dh and wd) to change your stats. if your stats dont update then those effects do not benefit you.

this bug affects gameplay experience negatively and has been doing so for a while now.
Reply Quote
This bug killed me quite a few times many months ago. I would ball lightning 5-6 times before realizing an elite pack was nearby with reflect up. By that time it is too late to use shadow power because the balls take a snapshot upon firing. I would always go into shadow power and regain 0 life until a hungering arrow or ball lightning (fired with shadow power on) would hit an enemy. I had to adjust my strategy to only fire hungering arrows then maybe balls later on. Still pretty dumb though.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]