Diablo® III

Nirvana Build Discussion Thread and Guide

01/08/2014 03:31 PMPosted by Fitz
Well, I have a MH Sword that you can see which is my best dps sword.

I have an Axe that is just like the sword but has LS and a wee bit less dps.

I have an EF with OS/LS

I have an EF with 89%CD/OS.

I mix and match to suit my needs from 0 LS (max dps) to single LS to dual LS.

I will check on those stats when I have a sec and get back to you.

Thx mate! If u prefer i can track your profile and maybe be able to see those stats.
You have spent too much time helping me, dont worry with it! :D

Regards!
Could you explain me why do you prefer Avg dmg gem in the MH instead of CD gem? Even if u lose a lot of dps?

Cheers.
Try not to focus on the sheet dps holistically but instead focus on the finer nuances of the build. The ruby does indeed lower your sheet dps but what it does is raise your mainhand's weapon damage range which your bell damage is based from.

In most cases a ruby in MH is preferred. There are of course other exceptions, like if you have really low CHD then an emerald would be a better option.

When in doubt use a calculator!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuAt6ZtaIcPJdFVua1UxS2hNbTFXeWNxRDYzZjJ2TUE#gid=0
I've been trying VotA in MP9 lately and often get my butt handed to me. When I'm in nirvana, it's awesome, but when I drop out, that period can be very dicey. I'm thinking of lowering to MP8 to ensure that elites die to the 10 bells.

I'm sure most of it is L2P. It's particularly magewraiths that give me trouble, and just not having a CC breaker in general. I was thinking of dropping faith in the light for serenity, but that just seems tacky. Any tips from you vets?

P.S. Thanks NeoSamurai for getting me started.

P.S.S. ignore the int sword with the emerald, I'm trying to find a similar dex sword atm.
01/09/2014 10:31 AMPosted by silverfire
I'm sure most of it is L2P. It's particularly magewraiths that give me trouble, and just not having a CC breaker in general. I was thinking of dropping faith in the light for serenity, but that just seems tacky. Any tips from you vets?

I know what you mean. I think we've gotten accustomed to barb playstyle that we often forget the dangers of certain affixes, mechanics or whatever.

The period when BoH is on cooldown leaves us quite vulnerable and forces you to be more aware of your surroundings. The key here really is mobility. This is something I have to work on as well.

I would not advise dropping faith in the light for serenity simply because imo it is essential during the nirvana phase. If you must, consider dropping DS for serenity instead but I encourage you to give DS another chance until you really get comfortable with the skill.

For magewraiths it can get quite dicey as you said because when they spin the amount of life you get back from lifesteal is reduced which makes it even more difficult for those running single LS setups. At the same time they also reflect the damage from your bell (i.e the wave projected from the bell drop is redirected, treated as a projectile maybe?). Just watch out for the spin, dash out of there first if you can and dash back when they stop and you should be fine.

This is also helpful in in FoM. Wait for bullcharge DS out and then back in..focus on the savage beasts and trees.
Edited by NeoSamurai#1745 on 1/9/2014 2:53 PM PST
DS> Serenity for survivability

At the same time they also reflect the damage from your bell (i.e the wave projected from the bell drop is redirected, treated as a projectile maybe?)

Yes, it is only the straight line damage that is treated as ranged. The solution is simple though, hit them at an angle that the reflect will not go directly back toward you. In other words, shoot for hitting them at a 45 degree angle.
01/09/2014 02:59 PMPosted by Fitz
Yes, it is only the straight line damage that is treated as ranged. The solution is simple though, hit them at an angle that the reflect will not go directly back toward you. In other words, shoot for hitting them at a 45 degree angle.

Interesting. I failed to notice this! I guess after dying to spin while dropping bells a couple of times it was already ingrained in my head that spin + bells = dead monk. :D Would have to try this out.

Thanks!
Damn, I didn't realize bells had damage reflected. And hitting them at an angle...I'd never have guessed.

I know exactly what you mean about getting too accustomed to barb and mobility being the key. But that's the other thing. It feels great when I can spam DS at will while in nirvana and easily avoid danger. That luxury quickly disappears, though. If I had to describe it, nirvana is basically always how a barb feels.
Is the Nirvana build meant mainly to be a solo-play build? I'm finding that on Act3 runs in random groups (MP5), I have trouble gathering enough enemies around me to warrant my activating Infused with Light. When I do, the mobs are either already dead or spread too far apart from my team's attacks for me to maintain enough spirit gen to be able to spam the full 10 WoL. Would a different build be better suited for teamplay?
01/09/2014 07:28 PMPosted by Garfield
Would a different build be better suited for teamplay?

It really depends on the group. If your team is killing things, especially Elites, within seconds, then you probably would be better suited as a support player.

In that case, this is a good build for you: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#adf.Vk!f!Ybc.Za

DS to the mobs ahead of your team, tag a mob with EP, CS them into a tight knit ball when the group arrives so it procs GL, then Overawe until dead. Rinse and repeat.
I have a cookie cutter skillset I usually use with 159k base DPS... switched to one of the builds on the first page with a decent Skorn and now I'm at 197k unbuffed.

Got 5NV on MP10 in a matter of a few minutes, died a few times but that is to be expected when testing a new build. I had a much higher level of survivability than I thought I would due to Blade Storm. The Nirvana phase, when done correctly, makes quick work of the elites so you don't need to worry about the affixes for too long.

With some practice and maybe a little more sustain gear, I could probably make this my main build. Having fun so far but I need to try it on a crypt run tomorrow!
sorry if this has already been asked (it's a huge thread), I've been trying this build for the past few days and I love it, but is fists of fury nerfed vs elites/ubers? I find my spirit doesn't max out nearly as quickly as when I use it vs regulars, or am I missing something?
sorry if this has already been asked (it's a huge thread), I've been trying this build for the past few days and I love it, but is fists of fury nerfed vs elites/ubers? I find my spirit doesn't max out nearly as quickly as when I use it vs regulars, or am I missing something?

For Nirvana to work you must do the following:

1. Have the DoT on at least one mob.
2. Hit a second mob with the 2nd part of the attack cycle, i.e. the flurry of punches (now 2 mobs have the DoT).
3. Have Infused with Light active.

If all 3 of those conditions are met you get high spirit regen. Contrary to what some have posted in the past, this is not a set rate. The more mobs that have the DoT on them, the more regen you get.

Granted this does not matter much because with only 2 mobs you cannot spend enough spirit to keep pace with the regen.

So.... this means you can not activate Nirvana on a single enemy!
Edited by Fitz#1329 on 1/20/2014 11:48 AM PST
ahh yeah that makes sense, gonna have to change my skills up for ubers, any recommendations? thanks!
Crazy high damage with this build.. Finally got monk above 300 unbuffed
01/20/2014 12:09 PMPosted by BigTuna
gonna have to change my skills up for ubers, any recommendations?

Not necessarily. There are some damn fast kill times people have posted using Nirvana on Ubers.

If you are the sole monk in a group though I recommend a support build, using Overawe, CS: Soothing Breeze, Guiding Light, EP: Flesh is Weak and whatever else you can fit in for damage while still keeping GL, EP, and Overawe up 100% of the time.

If solo, TriGen works well against single targets, but 2 Ubers means still less efficiency, so I would go with Cookie Bells if not Nirvana.

01/20/2014 02:23 PMPosted by Darth
Crazy high damage with this build.. Finally got monk above 300 unbuffed

Can you post d3up profile? I am always looking to see how people gear for this setup.
Edited by Fitz#1329 on 1/20/2014 2:58 PM PST
http://d3up.com/b/1315747

This ^ is more of a solo or elite prep gear, though I do often use it for crypts. As you can see EHP is not heavy on it- Been trying out transcendence a lil more since that VOA challenge you posted.. got it done w/ transcendence as only LPSS -nirvana spec'd with time of need + blinding light.

http://d3up.com/b/1315757#skills

^ takes a lot of bobbing and weaving but very fun in group and potentially insane damage.. ' - ' If you hate dying at all .. prob not a good choice lol

SW over EP makes for a solid DPS pull monk for crypts, but if you can rock the EP iz crazy.
Nice! Got some good damage numbers on those and excellent pdps to Nirvana dps ratios.

"A man is but the product of his thoughts what he thinks, he becomes."

Fitz - usmonks.freeforums.org
Edited by Fitz#1329 on 1/23/2014 2:03 PM PST
well I learn from the best.

Just got a new inna's VE for 475m

ohh man last game i did was Fleshisweak w/ blind + pillars (cuz crypt) and had a pull monk -- was pretty ruthless, can't discount the damage from blind FitL

*it's kinda cool you can just hold down Exp Palm and slowly circle the mouse around and it will tag everything you hit during nirvana
Edited by Darth#1885 on 1/25/2014 11:28 PM PST
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]