Diablo® III

Don't DC: Get a Dedicated ADSL ISP.

Just google Megapath.
I have 800+hours played (and i multibox) and have never Disco'd once. Ever.
It is a dedicated ADSL connection that is privately yours. It is not shared. Despite what most internet companies say, your internet is shared with millions of others.
From their site
"Our Dedicated ADSL is designed for customers who want the benefits of DSL on a dedicated connection, without the need to share a POTS line."

I used to use Comcast/xfinity. I have used COX. I've used Time Warner, Ive used AT&T. do NOT be fooled.

Megapath internet is the best out there. Yeah it's $84.99 a month, but isn't it worth it? Also, my ping on battlefield 3 is always less than Eight, yes i did just say EIGHT. SO again, never DC again!

I made this post because of all the threads i see due to DC. Well, here is your solution.

For all of you who refuse to believe your ISP is the issue, do a simple command promt ( -netstat )
You are always connected to the same Blizzard IP address. There is no hoping around or anything of that nature.If it were blizzard's servers, we'd be seeing a thousand I died to Disco posts at once. I understand a while ago their servers took a dump, well that is unavoidable.
It will probably never happen again. (I have a feeling they let an IT guy go and he decided to make one last prank, hehe)

Anyways. my heart breaks seeing all the Disco'd deaths :( Please please PLeASE do yourself the favor and get megapath (Solid Independent Data Connection) Here is a link to see how the private networking works.
http://www.megapath.com/security/private-networking/
Edited by Michael#13785 on 3/24/2013 5:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Unless you have your own direct line to the server that Megapath provides, you're still "sharing the internet with others." You're still sharing lines, whether it's copper or optical, still sharing nodes, etc., even on a dedicated connection. It's great that you don't get D/Cs, but neither have I and I pay about half of what you do for comparable speeds...

I used to D/C from time to time and here's why:

- Running D3 over a secure in-home wireless network. Wireless is flaky and as I learned, should never be used for games like this.

I honestly believe most peoples' problem with disconnect is their current home network. I reduced the number of wires, splits, etc. and since then, I haven't had a connection problem at all. I have a wire coming into the house and into the box. It goes straight into my modem/router. 1 wire comes out and goes straight to my laptop. The more you add, whether its sources, connectors, splitter, you add loss.

This game is really about ping and not bandwidth. Paying $85 + taxes/fees (I'm assuming those weren't included) for a business-level connection is ridiculous for a game like D3 in my opinion, especially considering that I mentioned I have comparable speeds for half the price and haven't D/Ced since I was playing over wireless.

TL:DR

Check your home network. Don't play wireless. Reduce the sources pulling from your modem/router when playing. There's no need to pay $85+ for business-grade internet to play D3.
Reply Quote
Already paying $45 a month for Time Warner and we get a lot of lag spikes, plus it goes down every 3-4 weeks for several hours. Might check this out. Thanks for the tip!
Reply Quote
Blizzard has errors and thus dc's. Yes, most of the time it's the users ISP but not all the time so get it straight..

Anyway, I'm going to look at this.. Could always use even faster speed and maybe i can play some other games without having others stuff/users slow me down. What exactly is aDSL ? seems like a upgraded version
Reply Quote
You mean this company?

http://www.yelp.com/biz/megapath-pleasanton

LOL

P.S.

I run Comcast. No disconnects here......

You say you have no disconnects and to not be fooled. So you are saying you have tried these other providers you speak of? And if there were no disconnects then why did you change? Lots of holes here.

Perhaps its not your ISP thats creating issues but hey what do I know. I'm only CCNP certified.
Edited by Origin#1623 on 3/24/2013 7:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
A bigger deal than ISP for most is a wired connection vs wireless

Wireless signals can be interrupted, disrupted, or otherwise broken. Even a simple microwave can introduce distortion into the spectrum, disrupting a wireless signal. It used to happen to me a fair bit, but since I changed to a wired connection, I've had no random dc's.

In 100 paragon levels, I've dc'd twice. Once was an error 73 the night everyone was getting it, and another time my game locked up while I was in town.

tl;dr USE A WIRED CONNECTION
Reply Quote
Preventing DCs isn't the answer to the issue, imo. I've only had 4-5 DCs total while playing this game, probably have close to 1k hours on it. 5 disconnects across a thousand hours is a pretty damn good connection. Not something I would ever complain about. But that doesn't matter. 2 of those 5 disconnects killed level 60 characters.

For me, the function of pausing the game during a disconnect (and a game freeze, something that killed a third level 60) would have prevented all 3 deaths. I don't know how feasible that is, to create a system that can recognize and pause the game reliably in a disconnect situation, but that is the only certain solution to these types of issues.

Or offline play.

Or SC, which I've been doing for the last month, which is not my preferred method of playing.
Reply Quote
You mean this company?

http://www.yelp.com/biz/megapath-pleasanton

That's pretty brutal. 45 reviewers and no one could find it in their heart to give a second star?
Reply Quote
03/24/2013 05:00 AMPosted by Michael
Yeah it's $84.99 a month

Yah no thanks ... I'll stick to my 40$ a month and take that 1 d/c every 3 months.
Reply Quote
03/24/2013 09:03 AMPosted by Dalton
Yeah it's $84.99 a month

Yah no thanks ... I'll stick to my 40$ a month and take that 1 d/c every 3 months.

It's still worth getting the better internet...

Having said that, you will still DC occasionally even with the best connection around
Reply Quote
45 reviews, all screaming for everyone to avoid this. Noted.
Reply Quote
There customer service may be slow, but the ADSL is amazing. I have zero issues with it. I do live in chicago. Maybe it's different for the folks out in California.

I run Comcast. No disconnects here......

You say you have no disconnects and to not be fooled. So you are saying you have tried these other providers you speak of? And if there were no disconnects then why did you change? Lots of holes here.
Perhaps its not your ISP thats creating issues but hey what do I know. I'm only CCNP certified.

I have disconnects because now i run ADSL with megapath for the last 2 years in various games. My ping is super low (eight sometimes six in BF3).

I used to use Comcast/xfinity. I have used COX. I've used Time Warner, I've used AT&T. do NOT be fooled.

^^^ I had disconnects with those companies, and it always happened around prime-time television. (weird huh). I was never wireless (who in the world would ever play on wireless) or linking to a network-router, I always had a straight usb connection to the modem I've also switched to a more "advanced" version of their modem and that never helped, till super-slow around prime-time television and frequent/random Disco's. (I was not even subscribed to cable television, only their internet service)

Simply google, Comcast Internet Blows :) There are hundreds of negative reviews about being disconnected randomly.

Megapath has never gave me any issues, there customer service isn't slow either like those negative comments stated. They have always gotten back to me promptly too. I read those complaints on Yelp you linked, 99% of them are all people who were switched over to Megapath from a company that got bought out, looks like they struggled with a few billing issues, also some install issues during that process. Some complained that the T-1 was disconnected for 3 weeks.

Zero ADSL complaints. Zero "Frequent/random" disconnect complaints like there are with comcast.

Oh and I'm google certified, but hey what do i know.
Edited by Michael#13785 on 3/24/2013 5:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/24/2013 05:13 PMPosted by Michael
There customer service may be slow, but

03/24/2013 05:13 PMPosted by Michael
there customer service isn't slow
Reply Quote
There customer service may be slow, but

there customer service isn't slow

A simple typo. Was going to say there customer service may have been slow, but that might have been due to the company that got bought out.
i'm also dyslexic :) so sometimes i type things im thinking about for the next sentence. :)

not sure what that has to do with anything though..

i find it interesting you point this out, but you don't quote me when i typed how 99% of the reviews were about "when this or that company was bought out", they are literally 99% transitional complaints that happened within the first month of transferring.

Zero ADSL complaints. Zero "Frequent/random" disconnect complaints like there are with comcast.
Edited by Michael#13785 on 3/24/2013 6:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/24/2013 06:07 PMPosted by Michael

A simple typo. Was going to say there customer service may have been slow, but that might have been due to the company that got bought out.
i'm also dyslexic :) so sometimes i type things im thinking about for the next sentence. :)

i find it interesting you point this out, but you don't quote me when i typed how 99% of the reviews were about "when this or that company was bought out", they are literally 99% transitional complaints that happened within the first month of transferring.

No. I don't disconnect and I have Comcast. Quit selling your conjecture as truth. People who use Comcast are in the majority and you as a megapath user are in the huge minority. There are simply less people using megapath therefore less people for you to encounter with issues. Comcast deals in a much larger volume so naturally you will hear of more dissatisfied customers.

Megapath has a myriad of issues and truth be told unless you are at the enterprise level you will not have a 100% stable connection. It may be 99.99% stable but there is always a chance of a slight disconnect in service as a consumer.

Enjoy
Reply Quote

No. I don't disconnect and I have Comcast. Quit selling your conjecture as truth. People who use Comcast are in the majority and you as a megapath user are in the huge minority. There are simply less people using megapath therefore less people for you to encounter with issues. Comcast deals in a much larger volume so naturally you will hear of more dissatisfied customers.

Megapath has a myriad of issues and truth be told unless you are at the enterprise level you will not have a 100% stable connection. It may be 99.99% stable but there is always a chance of a slight disconnect in service as a consumer.

Enjoy

I have the small business ADSL

I have used Xfinity and have gotten numerous disconnects and im in chicago, what city are you in? maybe its different in other states
Reply Quote
03/24/2013 07:08 AMPosted by Alex
What exactly is aDSL ? seems like a upgraded version

aDSL stands for "Asymmetrical Digital Subscriber Line". The Asymmetrical means your upload throughput is not the same as your download, or vice versa.

The line will still go through your local bell company's lines and nodes, but will be transferred to a Megapath node as soon as it can be. In all honesty, the service isn't really worth it, as these companies usually have smaller trunks into the mega hops than larger companies. Also, you could potentially be increasing your hops with another company. Remember, the more hops you have, the more opportunities you have for DC.

I've been using Comcast (Xfinitiy) for years and have never had a single disconnect. In fact, I've had multiple power outages over the years, yet never a service outage. My ping is usually a lot better than other people I play with and I reach my mega hop in 4 hops (after my modem). My -tracert to battle.net is 8 hops. Sometimes going with the big guys is the better solution.

Also, someone else made a really good point in this thread that should absolutely be adhered to.
DO NOT PLAY DIABLO 3 ON A WIRELESS CONNECTION[period] You will DC a helluva lot and it absolutely will be your fault. I have some serious suspicions that most (if not nearly all) of these DC tragedies could have been prevented with some good ol' LAN cables.
Reply Quote
03/24/2013 07:13 PMPosted by Michamus

aDSL stands for "Asymmetrical Digital Subscriber Line". The Asymmetrical means your upload throughput is not the same as your download, or vice versa.

The line will still go through your local bell company's lines and nodes, but will be transferred to a Megapath node as soon as it can be. In all honesty, the service isn't really worth it, as these companies usually have smaller trunks into the mega hops than larger companies. Also, you could potentially be increasing your hops with another company. Remember, the more hops you have, the more opportunities you have for DC.

I've been using Comcast (Xfinitiy) for years and have never had a single disconnect. In fact, I've had multiple power outages over the years, yet never a service outage. My ping is usually a lot better than other people I play with and I reach my mega hop in 4 hops (after my modem). My -tracert to battle.net is 8 hops. Sometimes going with the big guys is the better solution.

Also, someone else made a really good point in this thread that should absolutely be adhered to.
DO NOT PLAY DIABLO 3 ON A WIRELESS CONNECTION[period] You will DC a helluva lot and it absolutely will be your fault. I have some serious suspicions that most (if not nearly all) of these DC tragedies could have been prevented with some good ol' LAN cables.

/thread
Reply Quote
All of this talk yet its to much to expect for a company to program their game properly. Its not like this is a Indy company with their first game.
Reply Quote

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms (this one is mine, not gonna display it)
2 9 ms 7 ms 8 ms 155.229.57.41
3 27 ms 26 ms 26 ms ge-3-7.car2.Chicago1.Level3.net [4.71.182.41]
4 26 ms 27 ms 26 ms ae-31-51.ebr1.Chicago1.Level3.net [4.69.138.30]
5 29 ms 25 ms 26 ms ae-6-6.ebr1.Chicago2.Level3.net [4.69.140.190]
6 26 ms 25 ms 25 ms 4.69.158.133
7 68 ms 63 ms 63 ms cr1.cgcil.ip.att.net [12.122.133.34]
8 63 ms 63 ms 66 ms cr2.dvmco.ip.att.net [12.122.31.85]
9 67 ms 67 ms 63 ms cr1.slkut.ip.att.net [12.122.30.25]
10 71 ms 66 ms 63 ms cr2.la2ca.ip.att.net [12.122.30.30]
11 65 ms 64 ms 63 ms gar29.la2ca.ip.att.net [12.122.129.241]
12 65 ms 64 ms 64 ms 12-122-254-234.attens.net [12.122.254.234]
13 63 ms 63 ms 63 ms 12.129.193.254

The bold is bnet. "To identify our servers, look for the following suffixes: attens.net, att.net, alter.net, telia.net."

you tell me if it's good, I'm not a wiz about it. I am just a simple dude given my 2 cents and my experiences :) And my exp with the big companies have all been horrid.(yes i used direct cables and even had a nice NIT card) I remember DCing during some PvP event i was on dark age of camelot, that's when i made the switch to mega Thankfully never lost HC to a disco. And my Ping on battlefield3 is 6-8...
Edited by Michael#13785 on 3/24/2013 8:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]