Diablo® III

Accidental Selling gear to Merchant

id all.

use cain's book (or cain himself if he's alive) and id all.

no more right clicking, no more accidental selling.

there, done.
05/22/2013 06:53 PMPosted by Ein
Honestly I wish you could implement some super easy way to distinguish the function of a right click... make a check box option in the game menu so that to swap items, you have to hold ctrl + right click or shift + right click or something. Is that hard to program?

It isn't hard at all but it would take Blizzard admitting they did something wrong in assuming that it was helpful to swap equipped items this way to begin with. Having right click have two different functions in inventory management is just plain bad design to begin with and then they went ahead and doubled it by not making it optional when they so helpfully hide things like elective mode and MPs behind toggles for no reason whatsoever.

It's also going to take trolls to find something meaningful in their lives beyond schadenfreude to help get this fixed but that isn't going to happen either.
05/22/2013 06:15 PMPosted by Vaeflare
As usual, if you accidentally sell an item, you can still retrieve it from the vendor’s buy-back tab while still in the same game.

There is no scroll bar in the "Buy Back" window. You cannot scroll down and see everything you recently vendored in the event you "accidently" vendored it. You can vendor more items than the buy back widnow can actually hold.

There should be a scroll bar on the buy back window :-)
Edited by MaxCarnage#1211 on 5/22/2013 8:45 PM PDT
05/22/2013 08:34 PMPosted by JeRu
Why can't you do something simple like

like pay attention, this will prevent something stupid ?

well, it is not the problem of stupid
even a very clever person will also make this mistake because of fatigue
pay attention will decrease the chance of occurance but will not prevent 100%
05/22/2013 08:43 PMPosted by MaxCarnage
As usual, if you accidentally sell an item, you can still retrieve it from the vendor’s buy-back tab while still in the same game.

There is no scroll bar in the "Buy Back" window. You cannot scroll down and see everything you recently vendored in the event you "accidently" vendored it. You can vendor more items than the buy back widnow can actually hold.

There should be a scroll bar on the buy back window :-)

well, it is proved that "pay attention or buy back" is only a excuse to smooth things over, because the root cause anlysis is different.

blizz think the root cause it is the problem of player
the player think blizz can do someting easily on programming to prevent this error.

in fact,
blizz can choose improve or not.
player can choose play or not.
Sorry, but I'm not one of you perfect players that never makes mistakes cause you're so 1337. I do accidentally equip stuff from time to time when I'm trying to ID it or something. Granted it's not as bad now with ID all.

I also have extra gear in my bags for different builds. I would love a lock icon so I couldn't inadvertently sell gear that I want to keep. That would be a nice feature and doesn't seem like it would be too hard. EQ2 had this and it was great.
05/22/2013 07:32 PMPosted by Cameo
Oops! Din't realized it is my old thread.

How ironic.
I think this is one issue that Blizzard can just ignore and it will sort itself out.

Nothing to see here... Darwin at work.

One day these same players will be "too busy" to look before they walk out on a street, or "too tired" or forget to put their heads down and close their mouths when it starts raining.

Then any effort put into this will be wasted as anyone not slated for a Darwin isn't in any danger of doing this.

Then again, maybe if they make this kind of mistake, they might learn something and not Darwin themselves...

LOL who am I kidding...
What is being asked for with threads like this is (take your pick):
- Take away my responsibility to know the rules of the game
- Don't make me abide by the rules of the game
- I don't want to pay attention to what I am doing
- Why do I have to live with the consequences of stupid mistakes

Aside from your mommy, you cannot expect others to hold your hand in life. This is just a game and Blizzard is a company. This is not Mayor Bloomberg in New York City.

This is spot on. It's not that I don't feel sorry for your friend, Cameo, but carelessness leads to mistakes and mistakes have consequences. Again, I'm not trying to be mean, but placing the blame on Blizzard instead of accepting responsibility for your mistake is not just. Players are aware that if you sell a piece of equipment to a vendor and leave the game then it is gone for good. If the wand really was that valuable, maybe he'll be a lot more careful next time he's handling high-value assets and less haphazard about it. It could happen to any of us, and if it does happen to one of us then it's a hard but important lesson.

R-E-S-P-E-C....ehem, I mean...RESPONSIBILITY.
"Friend" lol tell that friend of yours he needs to be more careful.
I'd think we should have a feature to tag items we know we don't want to sell, so a tagged item will prompt a confirmation message (maybe even two) if we try to sell it by accident. If it is too cumbersome for some people they can just not use it (and deal with it if they mess up).
well, add a gear lock down button or option then :P
I don't care if people call me stupid, careless, whatever; I have no curiosity or use for your opinions or judgments. For the OP, I've done this too. Recently. Sold an 200m ring accidentally to vendor and left the game. At least that's what I think I did; I'm not sure. I only know that later I discover one of my ring slot is occupied with a garbage ring and my 200m ring is gone. And this is AFTER I started using ID all, so go figure. I'm generally not in the habit of picking up stuff unless it's legendary, demonic essence, etc. But I accidentally pick up garbage all the time thanks to cm wiz tanking mechanic and thanks to Blizzard's refusal to implement a toggle white/blue/even gold items (ie. garbage) on and off. (I mean with all the spell spam graphics, who knows what you're picking up during battles?) I generally put DEs, legs, etc. into my stash, ID ALL the rest then vendor everything without looking at the stats. So I figure that's what happened. For those criticizing others for being stupid/careless, I hope this never happens to you; you'll truly feel like an idiot. For me, will I continue to be careless, if that's what it was? Of course. Will this happen again? Probably. This is a GAME, not a job; I won't be "careful" or "double check" or make sure my best gear is always still equipped. Because tedium is not fun. And if that means I'll occasionally lose good gear accidentally, oh well, that's how it goes. It's a consequence of sloppy game design--putting multiple functions to the same action (right click) with no safeguard to lock the equipped gear and such. I sympathize with you OP for I've been there myself, but what're you gonna do? Blizzard will just ignore this as they do other common sense suggestions. You either deal with the crappy game mechanic and its consequences or move on to other games. I certainly wouldn't expect sympathy, not even from other players, unless they've been there themselves, as this forum so clearly demonstrates.
This is an old thread before 1.0.8 and ID all. Someone reposted yesterday because he did the same mistake.

Also, I m not sure whether any of you have experience before when you are selling thrash to merchant and suddenly one of your member is completing a quest, the pop up will suddenly close and you character will be equipped with a thrash item which you were right clicking and swapped with your gear which will then be in your inventory. If you sell thrash again quickly without care and never realize about the swap, say bye bye to it.

Again, a simple lock button for equipped gears will solve all this problem.
It happened to me before when I was still new in this game, but nowadays I make sure I looked at the stats first before right clicking to vendor it instead of fast right clicking (trigger happy).
The point is... if you did it once (or twice) and never did it again... you made a mistake and paid for it and learned. Congratulations you are human.

If you did this and now require everyone else to fix it so you don't do it again... you have bigger problems than losing items in this game.

Everyone else should not have to fix it when YOU make an easily avoidable mistake.
Still don't understand how a lock gear button wasn't coded into the game while it was initially being developed and included in the game well before initial launch. Its like one of the first things that comes to your head while you're coding a character/gear interface.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Explain (256 characters max)