Diablo® III

Accidental Selling gear to Merchant

(Locked)

I can't possibly understand how someone can STILL, with Ident All and the new vendor change, sell his own gear accidently.

You want an item lock, but there are TWO "locks" already in place, and you can't blame Blizzard for not using them.

Edit: Nothing against you, OP. At the time you opened the thread there was only the vendor lock and it wasn't in the patchnotes, so I can see how you missed that.
Edited by Piranha#2611 on 5/22/2013 11:37 PM PDT
Do you people even read the date the OP posted his post? it's in March... So why are you guys flaming him with stuff like " pay attention! ", use ID all!
Well, I was referring to some of the other players who posted after the bluepost, and wanted an item lock button.
I support the Idea, we are a humans and we make mistakes. I have salvaged my (after unequipping) best gloves and shoulders and the feeling of game pleasure wasn't awesome. Blizz please fix this as possible as u can.
Edited by eXquiSiT#2849 on 5/23/2013 1:24 AM PDT
best way to avoid is....

If you have high top end gear, you shouldn't be salvaging or selling to the vendor its to much of a risk. Just ID all then throw item out of your bag.
Well, we don't understand how it happens but there is now the Identify all for use so no need to identify at the merchant.

Nonetheless, If Blizzard wants to prevent it, they can do like some have suggest by implement a lock gears mechanism or similar, but they simply chose not to at the moment so all we have to do is to be careful and stop playing once you are tired and can't concentrate. Sell gears slowly after checking it stats and always check your gears after selling 12 items. This is troublesome but no choice till a fix comes along
03/22/2013 07:51 AMPosted by shndany
Item sink working as intended.

lol Where is the logic to that. If a person can't be bothered to take the time to sell items carefully then so be it let him lose his stuff.

03/22/2013 08:00 AMPosted by TheDuke112
Its a stupid tax.

He means a tax on stupid people right?
03/22/2013 07:50 AMPosted by Cameo
Why can't you do something simple like :- give use a button on the inventory character window to lock all the gears which we are wearing? Only by clicking the release button will allow swapping or selling the gears on our character.

Because, according to past Blue posts, "options are bad".
05/22/2013 10:28 PMPosted by Alive
well, add a gear lock down button or option then :P

That's a very good idea... or add an "Are Your Sure" question if the right click is going to swap equipped gear.

I don't think this issue pops up exclusively because players aren't paying attention either. I cannot count the number of times I'm at a vendor and someone will complete a quest in-game just as I'm about to sell an item, thereby removing me from the vendor screen and swapping whatever I was selling with my equipped gear. At other times, I've stopped in the middle of a run to quickly toss out whites and blues and accidentally had it swap with my gear because it passed over that slot as I released it (or accidentally hit right click as I was throwing out scraps).

I can completely see how, if someone was tired or just not paying attention while performing these routine tasks, one could end up making a very costly mistake. I do not completely understand the vitriol here about something that could very easily have a safeguard added to it. The devs could even make it something that could be checked or unchecked in the Gameplay Tab so those who think it's unnecessary wouldn't have to bother with it while those of us who want it would feel a little more relaxed in knowing we couldn't accidentally swap out our end game gear.

... While you are in the vendor window, you should no longer be able to right click on an item in your inventory and accidentally equip it.

As I mentioned - if, in a party, someone completes a quest as you are selling to a vendor, the vendor window will close and you will swap whatever you were selling with your gear if you happened to be right clicking it the moment the quest is completed.

Adding to the issue (and explaining how a player might not notice) is the fact that the audio that plays to signal quest completion tends to somewhat drown out the item-swap audio.
How exactly does one vendor a GREEN Chantodo Wand on accident? It's green and clearly unique, so it's hard for me to understand. And why would any one vendor any Chantodo Wand, wouldn't it be worth more as a Brimstone?

OP don't be an idiot, sigh...

The real solution is to review every item the very moment before selling to a vendor, no if, ands, or buts. Not only do I not ever ID things until I'm ready to sell, I always give it a look over at the very moment of selling, no matter what the item is and when I ID'd it.

There are numerous times when I thought I found a decent or good item, and think, Hell yeah. Just to realize it was the exact same item I had equipped, furthermore being let down in a way that I didn't find a decent item. And even in the very rare occasion I find a decent item, I always suspect that it was something I already had equipped because of this.
Edited by Deadzors#1394 on 5/23/2013 5:13 AM PDT
Sad to hear this happened to your friend but... it all boils down to personal responsibility. You just have to be careful and watch what you're doing. I've accidentally done the same thing too, but always caught it before losing the item.

... While you are in the vendor window, you should no longer be able to right click on an item in your inventory and accidentally equip it.

As I mentioned - if, in a party, someone completes a quest as you are selling to a vendor, the vendor window will close and you will swap whatever you were selling with your gear if you happened to be right clicking it the moment the quest is completed.

Adding to the issue (and explaining how a player might not notice) is the fact that the audio that plays to signal quest completion tends to somewhat drown out the item-swap audio.

This is what I said earlier. Happened to me so many times and I don't believe this do not happen to anyone else. I also agreed with you about tossing the thrash gears and accidentally geared them while moving them to the ground. I did it many times too.
I truly truly have no idea how this happens. And to request a gear lock I find just downright hilarious. MAYBE... just MAYBE.... rather than them wasting time on feature to help idiots, they can work on something more important.

Slow down. Breathe. Think about what you are doing and it won't happen.
maybe a lock weared items button in inventory should help...just maybe
03/22/2013 09:50 AMPosted by Cameo
If this can happen to the No 2 DH in USA server, it can happen to anybody. BTW, his ring is call "Bulleyes star" - Avg Dmg 33-67 , Dex 97, CC 6%, CD 47% and AS 7%. No 1 dex dps ring at that time.

You're right. It can happen to anyone... if they aren't paying any attention & just blindly sell everything in their inventory box.

Sorry, I understand a button would be convenient, but I dislike Blizzard (or anyone, really) making options that promote bad play habits. This one supports not paying attention to what you're doing, & offering this solution, I feel, is like Blizzard taking the blame for the player's own stupidity. At a certain point, players must be responsible for themselves. Vendoring/salvaging your own gear can be a costly mistake, but it should be owned up to & accepted as a lesson learned.
05/22/2013 06:15 PMPosted by Vaeflare
While you are in the vendor window, you should no longer be able to right click on an item in your inventory and accidentally equip it. Effectively, having a vendor window open while identifying your items should help ensure that you do not inadvertently equip items while you are identifying them.

Don't get me wrong with this comment, because it is appreciated that anything at all was done for this "issue" but the unfortunate truth here is that identify all is now in the game and identifying 1 at a time at the vendor is not something that people who rush through selling will bother to do.

Personally, I've never accidentally sold an item I wanted to keep, but the way in which the developers have addressed this concern is hardly adequate and makes obsolete the much sought after feature of identify all.

People want a button that locks in their gear, just give it to them. I agree it's a trivial feature for most, but for those that want to sell furiously at the vendor, the "fix" can only be achieved by a gear lock feature that makes it impossible to equip the wrong gear.
Item lock might be a decent solution. Shouldn't be too hard to implement..

Haven't had this problem yet but can imagine.
Edited by Ins#2510 on 5/23/2013 6:56 AM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]