Diablo® III

+2mil sustained crit MoR build 3.8mil w/blind

just try it yourself you will see it plays better
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Hrm, that didn't work either. Darn.

Sad day.

If you ever have any interest in putting in some time and figuring out why my communication style is incompatible with yours, I would be happy to do so as I absolutely HATE being unable to convey a message.

Hit me up in game Druin#1518

-Druin, the happy monk
Reply Quote
i know what you mean, your math is right but when you play the game explosive light is more effective because that one burst of energy does 2mil crit in one burst to everything around you, every mob takes 1.8mil dmg, in the wall of light it slams 3xtimes in one concentrated area for a total of in 3 hits a concentrated area a small overall damage increase on paper in a small area so yes it hits 3xtimes in 1 click but that means the skill takes 3xtimes longer for the animaton to spam and complete the attack, with EL you just click and BOOM! to EVERYTHING! now do you see where i am coming from? because i understand you.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
03/22/2013 03:31 PMPosted by mrpags
i know what you mean, your math is right but when you play the game explosive light is more effective because that one burst of energy does 2mil crit in one burst to everything around you, every mob takes 1.8mil dmg, in the wall of light it slams 3xtimes in one concentrated area for a total of in 3 hits a concentrated area a small overall damage increase on paper in a small area so yes it hits 3xtimes in 1 click but that means the skill takes 3xtimes longer for the animaton to spam and complete the attack, with EL you just click and BOOM! to EVERYTHING! now do you see where i am coming from? because i understand you.

The animation speeds are either identical or almost identical.

WoL actually does it's damage MORE quickly as it starts doing damage sooner into the overall animation.

EL hits a larger potential area due to the distance it travels but I find this is countered by the fact that it can be blocked by things, misses things at certain angles and can't go up or down any TINY z axis change.

Furthermore, you will flat-out 1 shot yourself against reflects or Act2 spin2win magewraiths with EL because it does all its damage before you have a chance to LS.

Also I think you may be the first person ever to say that WoL's area of effect is small! Most people find it to be HUGE as do I.

At least we are getting somewhere! <3
Reply Quote
Druin, you just don't understand that something that does it's damage in 3 hits isn't as good as something that does it's damage in one, because i like to see large crit numbers!

If you understood that I like to see large crit numbers more than I like to do more damage, you would understand!

/channel of OP
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Druin, you just don't understand that something that does it's damage in 3 hits isn't as good as something that does it's damage in one, because i like to see large crit numbers!

If you understood that I like to see large crit numbers more than I like to do more damage, you would understand!

/channel of OP

#itallmakessensenow
Reply Quote
View profile
it's a bug!!! shhhhh though, we're not allowed to tell anyone about it so we can abuse the hell out of it and make ourselves feel elite. make sure we also abuse anyone that tries to chat about it in the forum.

fight club and all that. hush hush
Reply Quote
What druin is saying is that WoL: Ep Hits once for 1.5 - 2mil crits.

But Wol; Wol hits 3 TIMES for 750k, but in a more concentrated area.

750k X 3 = 2.25mil
Reply Quote
Yeah so.... First off, OP and Druin, just want to say I'm totally enjoying this from the sidelines.

But for the sake of everyone's sanity I believe you guys are vehemently arguing different points:

Druin is calculating total damage of the skill regardless of the gameplay aspect.

Op is stating that due to his style of play (surrounded on all sides) his slightly lower damage attack is effectively hitting more mobs more often, totaling more actual total damage.

Seems like you are both right(ish)

But, plenty of evening ahead of us. I hope you remain I unsatisfied for the entertainment value alone!

And bottom line from my opinion: Even if mathematically inferior to cookie builds. Nice job OP if you are rolling MP 8 against convention an dusting off unused skills!

My biggest takeaway is the though of using MOR for spirit regen. Something to look at!
Reply Quote
View profile
there is a MOR rune too that has a chance to stun...

i hope they re-tune this skill soon. the potential is ALMOST there.
Reply Quote
Mojo i could see your pets rocking some MoR for kicks soon.
Reply Quote
View profile
i wish i could have a mantra with pets! hello group play!
Reply Quote
Well from what I read, OP is saying that WoL: WoL is only doing 750k crit damage total to one enemy and is completely ignoring the total damage done by it.

Yes in terms of damage done in a 360 degree spread WoL : Ep is pretty good, but it is not comparable to WoL: Wol in terms of damage done to an Elite mob or anything directly attacked by WoL; WoL.

It's not like people are saying Op is stupid for trying to make a new build or anything, ( Bravo OP for trying to using a mantra that is hardly ever used). OP is just being completely ignorant when it comes to skill mechanics.
Reply Quote
I have no skill mechanics, I am all inspiration no perspiration. strictly trial and error, that is why I have you guys, because together as a team we unravel amazing possibilities. I am inspired by all of your advise which helps my creativeness to innovate new builds and I will keep you updated with anything I find that is up-gradable. This is the classic inventors versus the engineers lol, I have a vision, show you a working product, and you discredit my math and ignore it lol your loss if you are not willing to experiment not aimed at anyone really.
Reply Quote
Can you please test out this:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aebigX!gdU!aZcYYb
swap out the Chant of reasonance passive and replace it with combination strike. You would gain 16% dps from your FoT & DR. the down side is you are -2 less spirit regen.

Try it and see if it gives better damages?

I tested this and without Chant of Res I can not spam bell due to my gear, if I changed it up a little then I don't see why it couldnt work, it would just be expensive.
Reply Quote
Can you please test out this:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aebigX!gdU!aZcYYb
swap out the Chant of reasonance passive and replace it with combination strike. You would gain 16% dps from your FoT & DR. the down side is you are -2 less spirit regen.

Try it and see if it gives better damages?

I tested this and without Chant of Res I can not spam bell due to my gear, if I changed it up a little then I don't see why it couldnt work, it would just be expensive.

No no no don't take changing gear into consideration in tests.
Try this instead?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aebigX!gdU!YZcYYb
Reply Quote

There is no need to stun something that is dead.

When explosive light hits it hits almost everything, when WOL hits you have to chase mobs around the screen, I know because thats what I was using before and EL is what I switched to.
Reply Quote

No no no don't take changing gear into consideration in tests.
Try this instead?

Excellent idea, I do enjoy teleporting due to being able unstuck myself from the middle of a crowd or to teleport into a crowd and explode it from the center, so I did not consider other FoT options with passive options, this is why we have forums! to instantly level up through our wireless collective consciousness. I will let you know if it works. My only concern is if I can generate spirit fast enough to spam bell to kill trash... eww. I don't like getting trapped, like a wild animal that is cornered.... I like clicking somewhere else in the mob and escaping from ai targeting systems, the more I move the more I evade attack, so if I teleport attack and teleport and never get hit because I move around so much and I deal so much damage everything just dies.... I think we got a winner....
Reply Quote
View profile

There is no need to stun something that is dead.

When explosive light hits it hits almost everything, when WOL hits you have to chase mobs around the screen, I know because thats what I was using before and EL is what I switched to.

i wasn't suggesting for your build, i was just saying there are some potentially decent runes in the MoR tree, but the skill itself is fundamentally flawed. if they fixed it up somehow, we could maybe start to see some use from it.
Reply Quote
it is a skill that is meant to be tested on high MP, people just havn't figured it out yet like I have, I forgot to mention that I solo'd uber's and I'll post the vid for that too soon, on MP5. I do not believe that MoR is flawed I just believe it needs to be looked into more. The build here is a true tank build.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]