Diablo® III

How I fixed my stuttering issue

Prelude:
I have a laptop that has far beyond the necessary specs needed to run this game, however I was getting terrible stuttering throughout it. My computer runs an AMD A8 series processor with a dedicated Radeon HD 7680 video card and 6 GB of ram. The issue is my HDD. It's a crappy "green" HDD that's supposed to keep the computer from using up excess amounts of power by slowing the rpm (5400 yuck). Because Diablo 3 doesn't utilize ram very well and instead reads the entire game off the hard drive, games took forever to load and even when they did, I had horrible performance. On max resolution and lowest possible settings, I would get between 11 and 30 fps. Now I get a constant 55-60 on max.

How I did it:
It was a simple fix. I had a spare USB flash drive laying around so I reformatted it to NTFS and moved my D3 folder to it. That's it. I open the flash drive directory and run the D3 launcher. It starts about 6 seconds slower, but the performance gain is incredible. Plus, I have portable D3!
Note: You need at least 16 GB free on the flash drive.

Why it works:
Like I said before, D3 poorly utilizes the available ram on a computer and instead reads from your continuous moving HDD. The flash drive has no moving parts and is completely dependent on your read speed of the drive and device.

Another way to do this would to invest in a SSD, but that's a lot of money. This is a cheap, easy fix that allows portable Diablo and no need to work with Ramdisk.
Reply Quote
I'll bump so people can read.
Reply Quote
very interesting, ty for the advice
Reply Quote
View profile
I sent my laptop to a pathologist, stutter is gone.
Reply Quote
Yep, works like a charm, finally my i7 can run Diablo properly...
Reply Quote
You're telling me that during actual gameplay the entire level and it's contents aren't loaded into my RAM? Transitioning between areas/acts whatever, if that has some load time, that's reasonable, but there is NO reason it should be reading my hard drive in the middle of an area...
Reply Quote
Like I said before, D3 poorly utilizes the available ram on a computer and instead reads from your continuous moving HDD. The flash drive has no moving parts and is completely dependent on your read speed of the drive and device.

Another way to do this would to invest in a SSD, but that's a lot of money. This is a cheap, easy fix that allows portable Diablo and no need to work with Ramdisk.

well i run it off ramdisk so its instant :)
anyway, it is going to stutter for the very first time because for some reason game caches duplicate data from server (client data you already have, also patch data) and thats downloaded over network.
so you end up with additional 5gig of duplicate cached data.
Reply Quote
Unless it's a very fast USB 3 flash drive, I can't see how it would run the game better.

I mean sure, laptops usually have crappy low performance hard drives. But they should still be faster than a 30MB/s USB 2 drive.

Then again... if your hard drive is all a fragmented mess (low on space, has never been defragmented, a lot of files copied/deleted), and you also have programs running in the background using the hard drive (like a torrent client, a silly antivirus), then yes, you can get horrible performance.

But in that case it's better to just reinstall windows.
Reply Quote
In other words, get an SSD drive.
Reply Quote
wait... everyone doesn't have raid0 SSD drives to install their games to?
Reply Quote
I had a simliar issue with my desktop and after installing an SSD. It's flawless..
Reply Quote
04/05/2013 12:43 PMPosted by Blanco

Some of us (me for instance), run on 5 year old rigs...

Back then, SSDs are like quadfecta items.
Edited by Currilicious#6729 on 4/5/2013 12:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Big bump here. I can totally vouch for this method. I have been working on and with computers for almost 20 years and was very skeptical when I first heard about this.

I decided to try it anyway since I was so sick of constant stuttering and lag. Amazingly, D3 runs as smooth as glass (60FPS CONSTANT) with all settings maxed on a 4 year old computer.

I couldn't believe it the first time so I ran the game from my HDD again. 35FPS with constant stutter and lag. I went out and bought a cheap 16GB flash drive and have no worries. No, it's not USB 3. My computer doesn't have USB 3. No, it's not a performance flash drive, but it works flawlessly.

Why not just try such an easy trick if D3 isn't running like you think it should??
Reply Quote
Good advice ill give it a whirl!
Reply Quote
03/28/2013 10:35 PMPosted by Cerealkiller
I sent my laptop to a pathologist, stutter is gone.

ROFL NICE!! My Laugh for the day.
Reply Quote
I have yet to test this from a thumb drive (seem asinine that slow, USB drives would have a performance benefit), but I currently run D3 (and several other games) from an intel SSD. D3 is the only game to have stuttering and massive performance issues - and this only started occurring after 1.05. If the following rig is unable to run D3 smoothly...I don't know what the issue is:

i7 2600K
16GB RAM
Intel SSD
Nvidia GTX 660Ti

My next step is to try to run it from my WD Black drive, but this is ridiculous.
Reply Quote
04/05/2013 12:56 PMPosted by Currilicious

Some of us (me for instance), run on 5 year old rigs...

Back then, SSDs are like quadfecta items.

Same here.
Reply Quote
This just seems ridiculous enough to work! I'm going to test it right now.

EDIT: Dammit, it's a 7GB flash drive... Until tomorrow...
Edited by KnirpsLyn#1741 on 4/5/2013 9:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I LOVE YOU. My game is running PERFECTLY now! I got a 32GB SD card (for future games and the possible D3 expansion, available 'soon'), transferred the files over, and bam. If I hadn't come across this thread I would have uninstalled D3 and dropped it for good with the issues I was having.

Thank you! Please, this should be a sticky!
Reply Quote
Add me as another believer in this thread.

This fixed my stuttering instantly.

I have 2 500G drives in RAID0 configuration in a gaming rig less than a year old and it is not enough, The game stutters CONSTANTLY. This is just poor design IMO.

What the heck blizzard?? If SSD is a prereq, then SAY THAT.

Bad enough you do this, then I gotta fumble wasting hours troubleshooting and looking for some weird solution.

THANKS A MILLION OP, (Supercell).
STICKY THIS THREAD!!

-Mike
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]