Diablo® III

How I fixed my stuttering issue

Moved the whole damn game to my SSD, now playing at "200"fps
Before, I had fps drop from 200 down to 15. Thank you. This actually works

(Have tried both methods, one with the simply installing d3 on a SSD and the whole ms-dos pathchanging mpQ

THank you
Reply Quote
I want to whole-heartedly bump bump bump this!

I bought a new laptop right before Diablo came out. It was top of the line (8g ram, intel core i7, 1gb hard drive, yadayada). However, I never once thought to check the GRAPHICS card. As a result, I've always had to run the game with shadows off, a lower resolution, all other graphics turned way the hell down, etc. etc.

Then I read this post and try sticking the whole file on my 32gb flash drive. BAM! I can run the game on high res with shadows and all! I'm not the most computer savvy person in the world so I don't really get why Diablo has to run completely off of my ram or whatever it was doing before I moved all the files, but now it does run "smooth as glass" on a much higher resolution. 3D actually looks 3D now!

So again, thank you Supercell; you just made my day (and the next few years probably!). Sticky requested :-)
Reply Quote
1 Undead Warrior
wow... i cant even believe that this worked, but it did. I used some cheapo 32gb flash drive i bought for 10 bucks with a read speed of like 1mbit lol.

Once i put it on this flash drive my PC ran it like a champ with 0 stuttering at all.

Previously it was on raid 0 setup with 2 500gb disks just like the poster above me. Heh, we probably have the same MSI laptop.

Well thanks so much for solving my problems. I was actually thinking their software was horribly inefficient as well, but I thought it was because the network IO was in the render path.

Turns out it looks like they have DISK io in the render path instead (the worst kind!)
Reply Quote
I have yet to test this from a thumb drive (seem asinine that slow, USB drives would have a performance benefit), but I currently run D3 (and several other games) from an intel SSD. D3 is the only game to have stuttering and massive performance issues - and this only started occurring after 1.05. If the following rig is unable to run D3 smoothly...I don't know what the issue is:

i7 2600K
16GB RAM
Intel SSD
Nvidia GTX 660Ti

My next step is to try to run it from my WD Black drive, but this is ridiculous.

I have a 2500k o/c to 4.6ghz, 16gb 1866 9-9-9-24 ram, corsair force 3 ssd and a 2tb toshiba 7200rpm drive (1tb platter version) 2gb radeon 7850 o/c 1167/5500 +20% power target catalyst 13.3 beta3 (latest), windows 7 ultimate sp1 with latest updates. My d3 performance is just terrible, tried it on my SSD and HD, both have stutter problem in act3 when I do the bridge cross grind. All my other games runs very smooth except diablo 3, exactly same issue after 1.05 patch update...
Reply Quote
So I would just copy the D3 folder where it's originally installed and paste it into a flash drive and run the game from the flash drive copy? No need to uninstall/reinstall the game?
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
Correct. Follow the directions in the first post.

Fun fact, if you ever get a new computer and need to put the game on it, just copy the game files over and create a new shortcut on the desktop to the launcher. Run the game. It creates all the registry entries it needs. No install needed.
Reply Quote
This lag issue has made me look like a noob when I'm in a multiplayer game with friends. lol

I'm so excited to try it out.
Reply Quote
Darn. It's requiring me to download the last patch (1.0.7) again so I guess I won't be able to play and test it out until after 3 hours. :-(
Reply Quote
This issue is actually because blizzard is super duper smart and did all internal testing on SSD. This is kinda friend of a friend of friend info but given the issue/solution it seems pretty reasonable. Apparently the greatest performance increase you can gain in this game is from SSD, once again gg blizz.

P.S. WTB blizz circa y2k PST!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
This is an incredible thread. It needs to be stickied, (although, I find that "Blizzard needs to fix this" threads don't often get stickied), and the writer needs some props.

Also, a tip for anyone downloading via wireless because they're reinstalling for any reason, if you have low bandwidth and/or want the download fast, just hook your laptop or computer into the modem quickly while it downloads (even if you can't play like that, seeing as not everyone has 200ft ethernet cables). It can often increase the speed by up to 10x depending on how much interference is in your house.

Great thread and advice guys!
Reply Quote
Are you guys saying this trick works on a flash drive even for people who have SSDs?

I just bought an SSD, more or less specifically for this game and while it did iron out the "first few seconds of a new game" lag, I am still experiencing extremely low frame rates with 4 players in areas like fields/hollow etc. We are talking 60FPS in town 12FPS or less fighting mobs. The game runs so terrible it is almost unplayable.

My platform (motherboard) is a bit older and is only SATA2, so my SSD is currently only running at half of its capable speed (250MB/s) instead of 550MB/s. But all my other components are up to date and SHOULD be overkill for a game like this:

ASUS M2N SLI Deluxe Mobo (the culprit)
AMD Phenom II X4 830 (OC'ed to 3.4GHz)
4GB DDR2 1066 RAM
EVGA 560ti x2 SLI
Corsair 750W PSU
Windows 7 64bit
Reply Quote
08/21/2013 07:33 AMPosted by Necromaniac
Are you guys saying this trick works on a flash drive even for people who have SSDs?

The USB fix is mainly for ppl with mechanical HDD.

08/21/2013 07:33 AMPosted by Necromaniac
I just bought an SSD, more or less specifically for this game and while it did iron out the "first few seconds of a new game" lag, I am still experiencing extremely low frame rates with 4 players in areas like fields/hollow etc. We are talking 60FPS in town 12FPS or less fighting mobs. The game runs so terrible it is almost unplayable.

SDD doesnt improve framerates. If it does, you can expect it to be <10% increase. why? It doesnt deal with anything to do with FPS. The problem SSD addresses is disk access lag also called "stuttering". SSD has faster read/write/response times then mechanical drives.

My platform (motherboard) is a bit older and is only SATA2, so my SSD is currently only running at half of its capable speed (250MB/s) instead of 550MB/s. But all my other components are up to date and SHOULD be overkill for a game like this:

ASUS M2N SLI Deluxe Mobo (the culprit)
AMD Phenom II X4 830 (OC'ed to 3.4GHz)
4GB DDR2 1066 RAM
EVGA 560ti x2 SLI
Corsair 750W PSU
Windows 7 64bit

i suggest if you are having problems you make your own thread with a detailed description of the problem. also remember to post your DXDiag and D3Prefs in that thread.
Reply Quote
Oh God I can't believe this. Maybe this helps SC2 as well?
Reply Quote
The thing is, that its not neccesary to use an usb to play diablo smooth.
The reason why its seems that way is Windows antivirus.
By default the antivirus is set to not scan files on an usb, thats why what you are talking about Works.
Since we are downloading some content while we play, the antivirus is cheking these files at the same time.

So all u have to do is :
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5167898030

On the bottom of the first reply you will find the answer.
Reply Quote
THANK YOU! Running a radeon 6870... couldnt figure out whats the issue. I have a 4.2Ghz OC AMD 955 as well...

used my USB3.0 patriot flash drive, solved my issue.
Reply Quote
Be sure to format drive to NTFS...
My stuttering got worse when I tried it on FAT32 file system.
NTFS does the trick.
Reply Quote
74 Blood Elf Paladin
this guy rocks !
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
ok but really is blizz gonna fix this or make it worse with the exp. ?????
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]