Diablo® III

Caltrops (Jagged Spike) proc Life Steal ?

Hey all !!

I looked around in the DH forum for any other similar topic but couldn't find anything about this subject.

So my questionis: Do you guys know if Caltrops (rune jagged spike) can proc Life Steal ?

I'm aware that Jagged spike do not proc life on hit, but how about Life steal ? Anyone tested this and can confirm this ?

Thanks a lot !!
Edited by Heroscaper#1533 on 3/27/2013 6:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
It does not PROC Lifesteal. Life Steal is a result of doing damage with a life stealing effect active, either on an item or through a skill. If you deal damage, you regain life.

Life on HIT is different. LoH is a Proc effect, and is no longer activated through Jagged Spikes.

So if you use SP Gloom, you will regain life from Jagged Spikes
Reply Quote
It does not PROC Lifesteal. Life Steal is a result of doing damage with a life stealing effect active, either on an item or through a skill. If you deal damage, you regain life.

Life on HIT is different. LoH is a Proc effect, and is no longer activated through Jagged Spikes.

Hmmm... I'm confused....

I perfectly know the difference between LOF and Life steal, it wasn't my question.

Are you saying that if I have 3% life steal from my crossbow, the monsters that are hit by the Jagged Spikes skill won't proc the life steal from my weapon but only from Gloom ?!

Maybe you misunderstood my question.... maybe PROC was not the proper word for it...

Let me rephrase it then: Does Caltrops - Jagged Spikes benefit from Life Steal ?

Anyone ?
Edited by Heroscaper#1533 on 3/27/2013 7:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/27/2013 07:14 PMPosted by Heroscaper
Does Caltrops - Jagged Spikes benefit from Life Steal ?

yes
Reply Quote
03/27/2013 08:17 PMPosted by Borat

yes

More confirmations ?
Reply Quote
The last sentence in my post was:

03/27/2013 07:07 PMPosted by Oscar
Reply Quote
^
Reply Quote
Yes it benefits, I use jagged spikes in warriors rest farming. It gives me life comparable to monks cyclone tornadoes when your frozen. Great for EDPS and survivalbility.
Reply Quote
you can lifesteal with Jagged Spikes, but cannot use Life on Hit with it. thats basically it.
Reply Quote
03/28/2013 12:33 AMPosted by DaRkCroNo
Yes it benefits, I use jagged spikes in warriors rest farming. It gives me life comparable to monks cyclone tornadoes when your frozen. Great for EDPS and survivalbility.

Me too (but cota), keeps my alive through almost anything.
Reply Quote
thanks guys !
Reply Quote
03/28/2013 11:51 AMPosted by Heroscaper
thanks guys !

you know of all the various intricate as well as down right mysterious aspects of the game that warrant a forum inquisition with multiple confirmations request bumps, this is certainly not one of them.

anyone can get a dirt cheap 3% lifesteal xbow, go 2-3 mp levels below their max and just set down some jagged spikes near a pack....how long you think after this has been done can that person figure out if:

03/27/2013 07:14 PMPosted by Heroscaper

i know you'll assume im trying to be a mean meany meanster, which is partly true, but dont underestimate the valuable information you will take from this post and apply it in the future to various other skills and mechanics.
Reply Quote
I tried this, and I got it to proc Life Steal on a Hand XBow. Didn't get it to proc Shadow Power, tho.
Reply Quote
04/01/2013 06:30 AMPosted by MarcusSC2Br
I tried this, and I got it to proc Life Steal on a Hand XBow. Didn't get it to proc Shadow Power, tho.

what is this...i dont even....

jagged spikes dont proc anything.
they deal damage, and life steal on gear will give you life for that dmg dealt.
same thing with shadow power, u deal dmg, u gain a % of that life, no proccing going on here.

now here is what can be procced, LIFE ON HIT, jagged spikes do NOT proc this.

all that other crap you keep asking about isnt procced, so its not relevant to jagged spikes inability to proc sh!t.

got it? good!!!!
Reply Quote
View profile
The damage is very low to life steal anything because it does not crit. If you have 1000 life reg if you swap it with a better skill...
Reply Quote
Btw noob question - do caltrops laid at the same spot stack?
Reply Quote
04/01/2013 08:54 PMPosted by rahl
Btw noob question - do caltrops laid at the same spot stack?

caltrops, no.

but jagged spikes yes.

so if u lay down 5 bait the traps, u dont get +50%cc, but lay down 5 jagged spikes, and u do 5x dmg.
(max is 10 per mob, if you have more than2 dhs in a party)
Edited by Borat#1110 on 4/1/2013 9:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Caltrops for the slowing effect, no. Caltrops Jagged Spikes for the DAMAGE effect? Yes. You can stack a maximum of five.

@ OP, I think the confusion of the Life Steal effect with Shadow Power Gloom with Jagged Spikes is that I realized that even though I have "Healing Numbers" shown (Green numbers float if I get healed), it does NOT show the healing done from Jagged Spikes with Shadow Power activated. I suspect it's because the numbers would flood the screen and just leave green streaks clogging up the screen.... I don't really know. I do know that my health globe fills regardless of the fact that I'm doing nothing else but kiting through Jagged Spikes.

A matter of language:

Proc = an effect that has a CHANCE TO OCCUR based on ability coefficients and other descriptive factors. Life on Hit is such an effect. Stuns are another, there are many others. For instance: Bola Shot Thunderball can PROC Life on Hit with a coefficient of 0.500 and has a stun effect that will PROC 35% of the time ignoring all diminishing return effects for higher level play (Normal vs Inferno).

Life Steal has a 100% Chance to occur so long as damage is done. The big caveat to this is that the Life Steal ability has to be ACTIVE at the time the ability was used. When considering Life Steal on items, this is active 100% of the time. When you have no Life Steal on equipment, but use Shadow Power, the abilities used WHILE Shadow Power is active then regain life based on the damage performed by said abilities.

Abilities with delayed damage, such as Bola Shot or Spike Traps, as well as Chakram Suriken Cloud, Jagged Spikes, and slower moving abilities like Nether Tentacles, Ball Lightning, etc, will all regain life even after the Shadow Power has worn off of your Demon Hunter because those abilities were cast while it was active. This is called "snapshotting." They will also NOT regain you life if they were cast BEFORE Shadow Power was activated.

Here is an example:

you're fighting a Reflect mob, you're using Bola Shot

You fire off 3 shots and then realize, "Crap, it's a reflect mob." Turn on Shadow Power, keep firing Bola shots. the first 3 shots will explode reflecting the damage back to you, but will NOT regain you life, even though Shadow Power was activated at the time of the Bola Shot explosions. The subsequent shots will both reflect damage AND regain life, likely off-setting the damage done by the bola shots.

Let's say that you fired off a total of 20 additional Bola Shots while you were under the effect of Shadow Power. They will ALL give you back life from the damages performed by them. So let's say that Shadow Power wears off and you're out of discipline and cannot recast it.

You might notice you're STILL regaining life for an additional few seconds because your Bola Shots all had life steal on them from your Shadow Power.

I hope this somehow helps you, because I'm overcaffienated and just cant' sleep.
Reply Quote
The only thing you need to know about caltrop jagged spikes and shadow power is to have shadow power up BEFORE you lay the caltrops. Laying caltrops, then hitting shadow power does not retroactively apply life steal to the caltrops already down.

On the flip side, at the end of shadow power buff is a good time to lay a caltrop jagged spike. You will receive the life steal for the duration of the caltrop irrespective of whether you have shadow power up.
Reply Quote
The only thing you need to know about caltrop jagged spikes and shadow power is to have shadow power up BEFORE you lay the caltrops. Laying caltrops, then hitting shadow power does not retroactively apply life steal to the caltrops already down.

On the flip side, at the end of shadow power buff is a good time to lay a caltrop jagged spike. You will receive the life steal for the duration of the caltrop irrespective of whether you have shadow power up.

Now, this explains why I got it to work with life steal I had in a weapon, but not with shadow power. I wasn't activating SP BEFORE laying the trap. Much more helpful than Borat's cynical reply. Thx!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]