Diablo® III

ofgortens' Super Buff / Debuff Bear Build

Super Buff / Debuff Bear Build

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#fiUdjQ!YTc!cZZcYb
Videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meQq8njNjZA / http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCRF-Kpc-GY (No Pick up Radius)
Will be posting some videos with a little more PuR (on one item) once I find the Witching Hour I want

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This build is focused around utilizing your heavy buffs (BBV/GF/SH) / debuffs (MC/Hex) on elites to lock them down and reduce the kill time for elites (the only thing that usually takes time) Running GI will allow you to have every skill available to use unless you hit back to back elites which I have shown in both videos

Skills

Zombie Charger: Zombie Bears (Rune)
Your only real damage dealer besides Vengful Spirit. Who needs anything else when you have the highest dmg dealer as long as you can control your mana.

Hex: Jinx (Rune)
Will act as a constant debuff and cc ability that should remain active 100% of the time with GI lowering the cooldown constantly. You will need to learn how to 'aim' this skill so that you can control who you want to hex. You do this by opting to cast the skill while your WD is in contact with the enemy you want hexed (closest enemy).

Spirit Walk: Honored Guest (Rune)
This is one of the primary sources of mana as well as avoiding frozen, jailer, etc. You will need to learn not to SW into an elite group like other builds. You will need to save the SW when you have drained a large amount of mana.

Soul Harvest: Vengeful Spirit (Rune)
With GI lowering the cooldown, you will be using this on every mob and elite pack. Make sure you learn how to optimize this skill to always have 5 stacks 100% of the time.

Mass Confusion: Paranoia (Rune)
The best cc / debuff / lockdown ability we have. The cooldown is only 1 min so GI will allow you to have this one up on every elite pack. ONLY use this skill on elites as there is no point to use it on trash. Having 2/3 of the elites confused and attacking each other will also reduce the amount of affixes they throw out at you. Make sure you keep them in the 12yd radius for the 20% dmg buff.

Big Bad Voodoo: Slam Dance (Rune)
This can also be Rain Dance rune if you are having problems with mana during elite fights usually due to not having enough dps to down them fast enough. ONLY use this skill on elites. With the elites confused and turning into pigs, they should stay pretty much where you want them to be which allows you to stay inside the BBV circle enough to kill them fast.

Passives

Gruesome Feast: The buff machine and mana regen source. Running with 0 PuR allows you to PICK when you want to be buffed. Elites will always drop globes usually at 50% health level as well as when they die, so being able to know when to pick up the globes is useful.

Grave Injusticet: Small mana / life regen bonus but mostly just used for the cooldown reduction on your skills to be able to use them all over and over.

Blood Ritual: 15% decreased mana cost on your bears + 1% life regen is hard to beat. This could also be Spiritual Attunement if you have multiple items with max mana (mojo/soj/helm). Might just need to test around to see which is best for you.

Gearing

4PC Zuni set is basically required for any bear intense user. Your mojo will need to have a good zombie charger reduction (9+) to make the build even more effective especially if you are running higher attack speed. Bear reduction SoJ is a nice to have if you are struggling with mana, but I opt to use a high cd unity so that trash gets cleared faster. Your weapon can vary from a skorn to a socketed Manajuma Knife, but LS is required as it's really the main item for life sustainability (globes / GI offer a little help)

How to run the build

The build is basically set up close and personal to the monsters all the time to gather the cooldown reduction from GI. Having a little PuR is helpful to have but not required. Using SW from mob to mob will make sure your mana stays topped off. You will want to have 45k+ hp, 700+ AR, 3700+ armour to be effective in upper MP levels. The level you should be playing should be based off how many bear casts it takes to kill trash. Trash should die in 1-2 bear casts... and if they take longer than you are probably playing a MP too high.

For Elites: You will walk up to them (do not spirit walk to them), then hit Hex -> MassConfusion -> SoulHarvest. You can then position yourself quickly near a wall, cast BBV, and get your bears to charge single file into all the elites at once. When the champions/boss are 1/2 health, they will drop globes. When minions die, they also drop globes. You will have tons of globes that spawn quickly. You have the option then to spirit walk and collect all the globes quickly which will give you the huge dps / AR buff as well as refresh all your mana to bear them down a 2nd time. Depending on your dps, this can take anywhere from 4-15 seconds. The elites should be long gone by the time your BBV expires.

*Note* You can use your spirit walk as a defensive mechanic to keep spamming bears through frozen orbs, etc which will in turn refill your mana. Once you are fully buffed with 5 GF stacks + 5 SH stacks, you can basically tank any affixes (molten, plague, desecrate, arcane) that the elites have out which is probably very few with 2/3 of them confused.

Feel free to ask any questions and I'll try to address / update this thread with responses.
Reply Quote
great build ofgortens! im using it except i swapped hex for acid cloud(rain) coz of the loh i have on my gear.

but all in all, 5 stars for this build. :)

This build is highly recommended for bear users.
takes out elites in no time.
Reply Quote
If I swapped blood ritual for circle of life and I wanted to add dogs final gift, do you have an opinion on which skill would be best replaced with dogs: Hex or Soul Harvest?
Reply Quote
MCP hex would be the one to replace. I can vouch for this build, it melts elites. It is also a very "safe" build since you are always confusing and hexing the elites. Extremely efficient once you get the hang of how to use all the buffs simultaneously. You will be amazed at how quickly you kill some elite packs. I run with the Spiritual Attunement version since I have 3 pieces of max mana gear. Ofgortens, hopefully people will pay a little more attention to this thread than they did mine ;). This build deserves to get attention.
Reply Quote
Nice to see it in action. Looks like alot of fun.
Reply Quote
@MCP The build you are describing is Rakimallah's Zombie Bear/Sac Dog Build http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8198731035

@Ofgortens. Good job. I will get this posted up right away. Also where is the part about using the Skorn and procs?

Edit - Build posted in stickied Index.
Edited by skywalkerfx#1247 on 3/28/2013 11:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
03/28/2013 10:54 AMPosted by MCP
If I swapped blood ritual for circle of life and I wanted to add dogs final gift, do you have an opinion on which skill would be best replaced with dogs: Hex or Soul Harvest?

Like skywalkerfx said, the build that would use final gift would lean towards Raki's Sac build. The other one that would be close would be the Jumbasa's Carnage build ( http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8414122171 ) which would be using CoL and sacrifice for more mana regen if you have mana issues.

I opt for hex since the extra cc and 20% dmg buff is always nice to have. Once you get good at aiming the hex you can lock the elite boss down and only have his minions to really deal with. With the boss locked down as a pig, you don't have to worry about affixes that they might try to throw out at you. The Carnage Build (which is still a great build), has to deal with elite affixes a little bit more without Hex.
Reply Quote
I opt for hex since the extra cc and 20% dmg buff is always nice to have. Once you get good at aiming the hex you can lock the elite boss down and only have his minions to really deal with. With the boss locked down as a pig, you don't have to worry about affixes that they might try to throw out at you

I like the idea behind this build, and will have to give it a try. I have tried using Hex in the past, but ran into issues hexing a specific elite. Are there any tricks to this?

Nice Ward's by the way. ;)
Reply Quote
I have tried using Hex in the past, but ran into issues hexing a specific elite. Are there any tricks to this?

It takes a bit of practice to know how the shaman will come out and hex, but he will always hex the monster nearest to you... so if you are in spirit walk form you can physically stand on top of the elite you want to hex and then cast hex to turn him into a pig. If you are not in spirit walk form, then you just have to walk up to the guy you want to hex and give him a kiss before casting hex to guarentee it will hex that monster. After some practice you can get pretty good at it.
Reply Quote
I've been running your build (with CS/Widowmakers as in your MP10 video) with great success for my gear at MP6. At this MP I almost never need the widowmakers though, so I'll try swapping that out with BBV.

I noticed in the video how you were using corners in the keep and have been doing it for the past couple days. It's an amazing difference. Prior to this setup I could only run low mps with any type of efficiency.

Thanks for that and gl with the real life stuff.
Reply Quote
I noticed in the video how you were using corners in the keep and have been doing it for the past couple days. It's an amazing difference.

Besides gear, positioning to line up the bears in 2 and/or a single row has been the best tip ofgortens has drilled into me to increase my survival and effectiveness rate.

Always something new to learn!
Reply Quote
Thanks for this simple guide....very unique and interesting...gonna try this after work later....also btw ur wd still up for sale? Saw ur offer in dprogresss.com let me know..will add u up later....
Edited by jstndng#1729 on 3/29/2013 3:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
NICE GUIDE Org. Been busy huh with school? keep up a good work and see your around during your study break.
Reply Quote
03/29/2013 07:18 AMPosted by yodatoy
NICE GUIDE Org. Been busy huh with school? keep up a good work and see your around during your study break.

Thanks yoda. Yeah family / work / school keeps me pretty busy now. I login sometimes in the morning if my kids decide to sleep in.. but that is not normal.
Reply Quote
Variations of this build work great I still like it better then the sac builds yet each has its pros and cons yet I have akways been a fan of Hex/Jinx from day one and its nice to see a slight variation to the widowmakers which I also like yet when you use these builds its so important to position against walls if you can.

On a side note:

@ofgortens

I know LS scales with damage yet how do you and others handle MP8 - 10 in the vault area especially with speed runs and such low HP's. The elites come at you fast in 8 - 10 min runs and BBV cooldown will only be good for a few of the battles due to the cooldown period and the hidden affix's of electrify on 1/2 the elite packs would melt your HP away in a heartbeat even with your damage. Kiting is fine yet 50kish HP seems like a deathtrap. Crap I always try for 80 - 90k HP at least in MP-9 & 10 and its still an issue, yet I do have lower damage then you beasts and still love the soj over any set, Legendary and rare since trash mobs are never a problem if you are doing 180K + unbuffed anyway.

How the heck do you guys do it with low HP. I have always wanted to ask that especially in 3 and 4 player games vs electrify/moulten/jailing/walling, plaqued, etc. Maybe you all do not play vault much and that would explain it.
Edited by Gotcha#1167 on 3/29/2013 9:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
tried your build and loved it!!! for my dps and gear it makes mp8 farming quite quick and fun seeing massive crits. mp9 and above i do have to change a few things but all in all its solid. good job. also works quite well in mp10 groups depending on the group of course.

@gotcha- you have much more hp than i do but maybe try raising your resists and armour, they seem a lil low, might help. i do quite fine with my gear with vota runs mp9 solo. rarely a death.
Reply Quote
tried your build and loved it!!! for my dps and gear it makes mp8 farming quite quick and fun seeing massive crits. mp9 and above i do have to change a few things but all in all its solid. good job. also works quite well in mp10 groups depending on the group of course.

@gotcha- you have much more hp than i do but maybe try raising your resists and armour, they seem a lil low, might help. i do quite fine with my gear with vota runs mp9 solo. rarely a death.

Thanks for the reply. I do not have issues with MP8 and lower all are super speedy runs in vault its the MP-9 and 10 that get tricky. My resists are in the 700's so I do not think thats a real issue since I can get even higher on the resists and that does not seem to make a huge diff yet maybe the defense is the issue. Does 1k added defense make that much a difference vs elites with electrify, moulten, decap, etc.. I mean I can wear my tanky BH pants and get around 3500 def just from rotation to BH pants, Vileward, etc. and I still melt away real fast with 850ish AR and 3600 defense on the top MP levels and I run over 100k HP for those runs. Are you all doing vault runs to see what I mean or just act 3 stuff which is nowhere near the quantity of elite packs real fast which would make BBV more beneficial due to more time between elites for cooldowns.

Someone post a MP10 vid of a few vault runs if you have 40 - 50ishK HP. I need to see the affix's noted and what it does to the HP pool with 4k defense and all. I know its not my resists they are fine yet maybe its a defense thing.

again TY
Edited by Gotcha#1167 on 3/29/2013 1:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/29/2013 01:20 PMPosted by Gotcha
Someone post a MP10 vid of a few vault runs if you have 40 - 50ishK HP. I need to see the affix's noted and what it does to the HP pool with 4k defense and all. I know its not my resists they are fine yet maybe its a defense thing.

Most of the really good MP10 players can run with 50k HP or less because they are over DPSing the level they are playing e.g. hitting harder for more damage and LS, and killing much quicker.

It would be like you playing MP7 (I haven't looked at your DPS, just giving an example).

When I play MP10 solo with my whopping 215K DPS and 52K HP, it is a friggin cat fight. If I let any of those nasty elites wall me or trap me, things get interesting real quick.
Reply Quote

Most of the really good MP10 players can run with 50k HP or less because they are over DPSing the level they are playing e.g. hitting harder for more damage and LS, and killing much quicker.

It would be like you playing MP7 (I haven't looked at your DPS, just giving an example).

When I play MP10 solo with my whopping 215K DPS and 52K HP, it is a friggin cat fight. If I let any of those nasty elites wall me or trap me, things get interesting real quick.

yeah I was thinking that. In general if the elite pack has electrify, moulten and waller, etc. thats death even if I stack HP I use a soj vs a rare or set just for elite kills since it helps with mana issues yet when I add 20k damage it is very noticable. I mean I can do vaults in MP10 pretty easily, probably 15 min or so yet I die a couple of times and its always to the electrify/decap/shielding stuff yet I hate dying haha. I can easily get in the 260ish range with a set or rare instead of the soj yet the soj still sorta seems to shine vs the elites and the mana is nice and I do not have issues vs trash. I will test more on some gear rotations for higher damage and see how much better it does vs stacking some HP which is what I always have done. I am still in that old school that HP and EHP is good haha.

TY for the reply
Edited by Gotcha#1167 on 3/29/2013 2:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Thanks for the reply. I do not have issues with MP8 and lower all are super speedy runs in vault its the MP-9 and 10 that get tricky. My resists are in the 700's so I do not think thats a real issue since I can get even higher on the resists and that does not seem to make a huge diff yet maybe the defense is the issue. Does 1k added defense make that much a difference vs elites with electrify, moulten, decap, etc.. I mean I can wear my tanky BH pants and get around 3500 def just from rotation to BH pants, Vileward, etc. and I still melt away real fast with 850ish AR and 3600 defense on the top MP levels and I run over 100k HP for those runs. Are you all doing vault runs to see what I mean or just act 3 stuff which is nowhere near the quantity of elite packs real fast which would make BBV more beneficial due to more time between elites for cooldowns.

again TY

I will post some MP10 vault runs if you would like. I can normally handle vault runs without too many issues. The only issues I usually have is when the large spinning guys have nasty affixes (since they are immune to mass confusion) or the big fire spitters with nasty affixes since those fire pools hurt more than desecration. Usually the key with lower HP is to make sure you are continually doing damage while being hit, so the LS and mitigation outweighs the loss of life. If your bears hit hard enough, you can yank just about anything as long your bears are hitting something.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]