Diablo® III

Move while attacking coming to PC?

03/28/2013 03:57 PMPosted by AddictedFool
Actually moving while attacking is huge. For any ranged class, it's called stutter stepping and it takes key binding and some mechanical/muscle training to gain proficiency. Ability to move while attacking on console pretty much obviates the need to learn to stutter step.

I know you *can* learn to move and attack. And it is horribly annoying and makes the game feel like I'm playing something from 15 years ago.

I want attacking to feel fluid, not stuttery. It shouldn't be something that only certain classes have to deal with, especially not when there isn't a noticable difference in return on investment for that lack.

Any fight where you have to run around a ton I feel like I might as well not even be there...which is why I don't play.

Oh, I'm with you Addicted! Especially since the return on investment is huge for my main class. Just wanted to point out to people saying it's for "console noobz" etc., that PC players essentially had to figure out a workaround that requires WORK for what is now going to be a standard feature in the console version.
Reply Quote
I think this is the biggest change the consoles will be getting. This has bothered me...probably since Diablo 1? The fact that you can't move and attack at the same time is just disgusting.

With the consoles getting this MAJOR feature, will PC be getting patched as well?

It isnt possible with mouse and keyboard. U would have to switch to a w,a,s,d controles to do that.

With wasd ur char is always the center of ur movement with the mouse u only pinpoint the direction u move. Most players, probably including me, would not be able to adept.
Edited by FressZelle#2609 on 3/28/2013 4:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
well you could could point with your mouse in the direction where your character should move and then click on the enemy and as long as you presh the button your character will fire and move as long as your mouse is on the enemy.

See. Its possible.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
I think this is the biggest change the consoles will be getting. This has bothered me...probably since Diablo 1? The fact that you can't move and attack at the same time is just disgusting.

With the consoles getting this MAJOR feature, will PC be getting patched as well?

Quick clarification: you can’t actually move and attack at the same time on console; however, some skills will automatically take a step between attacks to help close the distance (this is because we don't have pathing on the console version, but use direct control instead). It may look like your character is moving while attacking, but it’s not. :)

Similarly, you can't attack while you're performing an evade. Your attack does get queued, so it can be performed after the evade move finishes, but only if you time it correctly.
Reply Quote

Quick clarification: you can’t actually move and attack at the same time on console; however, some skills will automatically take a step between attacks to help close the distance (this is because we don't have pathing on the console version, but use direct control instead). It may look like your character is moving while attacking, but it’s not. :)

Similarly, you can't attack while you're performing an evade. Your attack does get queued, so it can be performed after the evade move finishes, but only if you time it correctly.

Ouch! Not sure if I like this one at all. Sounds like it would really hurt some builds. WW comes to mind if you are using over power, rend, eathquake or any other attack normally allowed to be used while spinning.
Reply Quote
03/28/2013 10:47 AMPosted by Chillaxin
Yeah, moving while attacking, I never understood why I couldn't do it..

I can. It's because you only have two hands.

The only way to this on a PC is by making it completely into WoW. Now I know that D3 is compared to WoW very, very often, but the most important part of the game to me, the gameplay, has stayed true to it origins. Please don't make them take it away from me. It's the only reason all the whiners on the forum still play the game.
Reply Quote
I think it's funny how much people jumped to conclusions on this one. There was never any video showing anything like what OP said. It would look ridiculous, with characters running around backwards shooting things, like the Smash TV comparison someone made. Thanks for killing this thread Lylirra.

03/28/2013 05:20 PMPosted by bwest86
Ouch! Not sure if I like this one at all. Sounds like it would really hurt some builds. WW comes to mind if you are using over power, rend, eathquake or any other attack normally allowed to be used while spinning.

Those will still work dude. Geez you guys really need everything spoon fed to you by a blue huh?
Reply Quote
I think some classes could definitely benefit from walking backwards while channeling a certain skill. Think about Wizards and how weak they are when using Disintegrate or Witch Doctors with Poison Darts.
Reply Quote
The blue post states otherwise Mike. Maybe I am reading too much into it. <_<
Reply Quote
03/28/2013 05:27 PMPosted by bwest86
Maybe I am reading too much into it.

I think you might be. Those skills you described are AoE skills, and don't require a target. They aren't affected by movement. Just like I can cast Soul Harvest while moving my WD.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
03/28/2013 05:20 PMPosted by bwest86

Ah, I see. I misunderstood the question slightly, so let me clarify my clarification. There are some attacks (like Whirlwind, for example) where you are moving and attacking at the same time -- but those situations are going to be the same as they are for the PC. Just like you can click, click, click and move around the map while holding down your Whirlwind hotkey right now, you can do the same on console. The controls are different, but the mechanics are more or less the same.
Reply Quote
Thank you for the clarification.
Reply Quote
Strafe
Reply Quote

Can something be done about ability queues in the PC version? Getting knocked back while clicking a skill queues it up, then you use it when you land. It doesn't make any sense at all, and the ability should be cancelled, not delayed until you land.
Reply Quote

Thank you for the clarification! I'm interested to know if we will be allowed to use controllers on the PC version? I'm not going to get into a controller vs mouse/keyboard fight, I use both depending on the game. I'm interested to try this game with a controller, it just seems like one that would work well.
Reply Quote
03/28/2013 05:26 PMPosted by Woah
I think some classes could definitely benefit from walking backwards while channeling a certain skill. Think about Wizards and how weak they are when using Disintegrate or Witch Doctors with Poison Darts.

eyah pretty much, marvel heroes ultimate alliance comes to mind... iceman beams.. lik cmon.. that came out YEARS before Diablo 3..

I thought I could use Arcane Torrent while moving, nope, feet stuck to the floor, what kind of mage can't cast while moving, a newbie one that's what.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
03/28/2013 06:34 PMPosted by Kupo
Can something be done about ability queues in the PC version? Getting knocked back while clicking a skill queues it up, then you use it when you land. It doesn't make any sense at all, and the ability should be cancelled, not delayed until you land.

Wyatt Cheng's talk at GDC tomorrow actually has an entire section dedicated to combat controls, and I believe he touches on skill queuing as well:

http://schedule2013.gdconf.com/session-id/824363

Through the Grinder: Refining Diablo III’s Game Systems
Wyatt Cheng — Senior Technical Game Designer, Blizzard

Date: March 29
Time: 2:30PM – 3:30PM
Format: Lecture
Vault Recording: Video
Track: Design

As with all Blizzard games, Diablo III went through many iterations before the final product was released. Wyatt will describe different game systems that were attempted, explored, and then ultimately removed. We’ll go into detail about the pros and cons of each system, what worked and didn’t work, and how the team used each failure to bring them closer to success.

1. Health Recovery: From Regenerative Damage Shields to potion dilution, where potions become less effective as you drink them, many different health recovery mechanisms were tried. What were the major issues with each of these systems and how did it lead to health globes in the end?

2. Controls. At Blizzard, control is king. Although simple on the surface, a number of iterations were required to polish the Diablo III interface, in order to provide the player with tight and responsive controls.

3. Skill System: The skill system underwent multiple revisions. Early systems involved different variations of point spending, an evolution from Diablo II. Later systems had runes, with multiple rune ranks that dropped as items, which could be used to modify skills.

Takeaway

Blizzard has a number of game design values. A postmortem on the development of Diablo III gives us an opportunity to see these game design values in action. Values such as “Control is King,” “Avoid the Grand Reveal,” and “What is the Fantasy.” Ultimately these values are driven by iteration.

Intended Audience

This talk is intended for anyone who is interested in concrete examples of the iterative design process. It’s particularly aimed at those who aren’t afraid to peek behind the curtain to see failures, as well as successes. Portions of the talk will delve into technical detail, but nothing too scary.

Speaker: Wyatt Cheng | Senior Technical Game Designer, Blizzard

Wyatt graduated from Simon Fraser University with a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering. He has worked at Electronic Arts Canada, Totally Games, and Blizzard Entertainment. He has been at Blizzard Entertainment since 2003, where he currently works as a senior technical game designer on Diablo III.

Would you mind if I wait until a) that video is published on GDC's vault or b) Wyatt gets back into town so I can ask him about this more directly?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]