Diablo® III

Do I have to go Echoing Fury?

It would depend on your build. I've been a faithful EF user since 1.0.3 and recently swapped it out when I converted to an exploding palm build playing MP10. When I had a marked target within a mob, nothing is more irritating than having that target run away from the mob pack just as the EP blows, and you end up wasting the massive explosion.

In high MPs, you may be surrounded by an elite mob and stuck in some poison or molten pool, you may be required to rely on your LS to sustain your self in the muck. If your EF procs fear, you'll suddenly end up having one less mob to attack, thus lose the LS and end up dying in the muck before you can get out of it.

Lastly, unless you are loaded and have 700 to 1bil gold to spend, there are many rare weapons with dex/CD/LS/OS combos that cost 200m or less and can rival those EFs that are 2x to 3x as expensive, WITHOUT the fear proc. You can save a lot of money getting a nice rare MH weapon , then use the hundreds of millions leftover to upgrade your other gear!
Reply Quote
Boneyard: I'm not anti-EF. I still have a EF in my stash. I sold out a EF with CD before. Indeed, I know how to control the fear (using cyclone strike). But I didn't have gold to buy EF with LS. So I changed to sword now.

EF is a good weapon, can bump up dps and attack speed!
Reply Quote
The strongest stat from EF is the +0.25 to attack speed.
The best combo with EF, in my view, is a slow 1H mace or spear. As we stack more and more IAS, the incremental DPS to both weapons becomes very significant (as opposed to dagger + EF combo). With this same logic, an EF is wasted on 1H+shield monks, you're just overpaying since the best stat is not applicable.

If you choose 1H+shield, or 2H, the EF is totally redundant.
Reply Quote
EF is so overrated stay away from them >;) not to mention the fear factor...
Reply Quote
Boneyard: I'm not anti-EF. I still have a EF in my stash. I sold out a EF with CD before. Indeed, I know how to control the fear (using cyclone strike). But I didn't have gold to buy EF with LS. So I changed to sword now.

EF is a good weapon, can bump up dps and attack speed!

Muwahaha... Old pro like you can wield anything from bamboo stick to EF >=D
Reply Quote
Thanks both (Mr. Ng and Mr. Bone)opinions, you are pretty professional to use EF. I really want to see you how to use EF playing on public MP10. I don’t had overplayed or overrated weapons. I don’t have any weapons are redundant as well. In my philosophy, I won’t waste any gold for any weapons. Also I didn’t invest real money on my monk since the game released last year May.

However, I think many players want to try different weapons and gears. I’m not anti-EF monk, but I would like to gear a sustainable monk. So I sold out one of EF in my stash. And I got some gold to buy other different weapons. In future I want to get a new High DPS EF with LS or with high CD. But I need to save more gold (still saving) or I might get one from a lucky drop.

Actually, I have a few combo gears to deal with different MP level. Sometimes, I will use sword+EF for MP1-7 (solo), 2 swords for M8-10 (solo), and sword+shield or two swords on MP10 (public). I agreed that to EF+slow mace or spear that can incremental DPS and balance attack speed. But I don’t have spear or mace + EF in my stash. So it is good advice, I might try to get one later.

Boneyard: haha I'm not old pro, but i like bamboo and not use stick to EF. >=D
Reply Quote
While the fear on EF is annoying I still love watching a "scared" monster running away when my Butchers Sickle drags him back by the scruff on his neck so I can finish the job.
Reply Quote
I find EF to be superior for almost all DW builds expect that exploding palm build, but even that can be countered by experience and knowing when to switch targets.

The point is, a good EF provides really alot more DPS even if you wield the 2 best rare swords. It also helps with spirit generation. Really quite a good weapon, those that hate fear are those who cant adapt their gameplay, it isnt that much of a factor especially in single player, where you can anticipate and control it.
Reply Quote
I like your sword and EF! haha!
Reply Quote
I bought a new axe last night for exploding palm farming, definitely way better than EF in that regard. Fighting certain elites is better, but there were times when I missed the fear to re-position elites, like when there's massive plague/pools/arcane and you're fighting archers or quillbeasts that are fine staying at range.

Whites/Trash Farming: EF is fine for this, you'll mostly be wrecking them before they can get feared anyways.

Elites: Non-EF seems to be the way to go, especially for palm build. Sometimes I actually missed the fear though.

Ubers: No real drawbacks to EF here, except Maghda, fearing her down one of those stairwells with her arcane orbs sucks a big one.

TL;DR: EF works fine except for palm/cyclone builds.
Reply Quote
imo the ef is superior to all other weapons except wkl. If you pair the two the damage is ridiculous. No other weapon combo compares. Sure if you rock 2 1h sword/fist what have you with 1k+dps cd/ls/os your paper dps might be higher than mine but with my soj/wkl/ef combo my FoT dps unbuffed is over 700k.
Reply Quote
04/02/2013 08:00 AMPosted by bsundbdmn
imo the ef is superior to all other weapons except wkl. If you pair the two the damage is ridiculous. No other weapon combo compares. Sure if you rock 2 1h sword/fist what have you with 1k+dps cd/ls/os your paper dps might be higher than mine but with my soj/wkl/ef combo my FoT dps unbuffed is over 700k.

Your paper dps equivalent would be around 245k dps on white enemies and 300k dps on elites.

On a side note, why the hell don't you nix that spirit regen on your helm and pick one up with FoT damage instead? You would get a hell of a lot more damage out %FoT damage than spirit regen any day of the week.

Hell with 700k FoT damage right now, that change would get you like an extra 70k+ FoT damage, would be badass.
Edited by Pumblechuck#1636 on 4/2/2013 2:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
No, you can choose any weapons you like, look for high DPS, CHD, min/max, %black dmg weapons with a socket.
Reply Quote
04/02/2013 08:00 AMPosted by bsundbdmn

You can achieve this same crit with any viable weapon combo/spec as long as the weapons are fast and have high min/max, %black dmg, CHD, and sockets.
Reply Quote
EF are noobs and Epeens.. I don't see how this weapon is viable for high MP and group plays... Your edps would be so low because of the fear factor...
Reply Quote
just use skorn with Ls, high spirit regen build is best i kick !@# in mp10
Reply Quote
04/02/2013 02:15 PMPosted by Immortal
EF are noobs and Epeens.. I don't see how this weapon is viable for high MP and group plays... Your edps would be so low because of the fear factor...

The fear is both a blessing and a curse, which translates into minor frustration in the long run. If you are teleporting it doesn't have a massive impact on sustained combat but can certainly slow you down a bit, especially when the mob decides a perfectly straight line down a long hallway is the way to careen.
Reply Quote
04/02/2013 02:25 PMPosted by Aphid
If you are teleporting it doesn't have a massive impact

I respectfully disagree with this statement... There's your problem, doing damages to only one mob instead of "face-tanking"....
Reply Quote
04/02/2013 02:07 PMPosted by Pumblechuck

Your paper dps equivalent would be around 245k dps on white enemies and 300k dps on elites.

On a side note, why the hell don't you nix that spirit regen on your helm and pick one up with FoT damage instead? You would get a hell of a lot more damage out %FoT damage than spirit regen any day of the week.

Hell with 700k FoT damage right now, that change would get you like an extra 70k+ FoT damage, would be badass.

I had one a while ago and that was decent but sold it when i was experimenting with builds. I have been looking for one everyday but none are quit where I want them to be with dex vit etc
Edited by bsundbdmn#1142 on 4/2/2013 3:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
There is a right way and a wrong way to play when using an EF. It requires a higher level of skill and concentration than most other weapons, and the reward for this requirement is a DPS boost. I don't like using multiple skills to boost my DPS temporarily, while others don't like dealing with a fear proc to boost their DPS on a constant basis. It's a matter of taste.

I like the EF because it is an I interesting weapon with a viable benefit, just as I like Sledgefist, WKL, Sever, and Butcher's Sickle. I wish more weapons had such a polarizing effect on people. It would make for a more lively community. : )

Edit: almost forgot Sever!
Edited by Treleth#1141 on 4/2/2013 3:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]