Diablo® III

Lazy Rich People are Ruining Games

good video, I agreed with most of it. Here is my $.02:

1. It's not just lazy rich people, but people with lots of disposable income as well.
2. Due to #1, this kind of system promotes all the wrong things and in turn creates a poor community and poor playerbase.

2a. Pertaining to Diablo 3, this is how microtransactions/in-game economy hurt the bottom line:

-Players who purchase gear (or gold to buy gear) are not encouraged to learn or play the game normally. They purchase power to skip through the game and farm better/faster than players who do not spend money.

-With enough power, it doesn't matter what their skill build is, so these people don't learn/play the game and come up with their own build. These kind of people often copy off of other people's successful builds.

-Elitist attitude. They spend more money gearing up their character so they are more powerful sooner than those who play the game normally. Because they've gotten so powerful so quick, they often talk down to regular players (who most often are superior PLAYERS) b/c their sheet DPS is higher and/or survivability is better

-Entitled attitude. People who spend money often feel entitled and it goes hand in hand with the elitist attitude. Since they have more money, they claim that it saves "time" as if somehow, their time is more valuable than your time simply because they chose to spend money on gear and you didn't. Newsflash, ANYBODY can dump hundreds of dollars into the game and get the same gear. It's simply a matter of choice and/or principle.

The main problem with this is that these people did not earn their equipment. There is a sense of accomplishment in leveling your character and finding your own great items. You have had to go thru the process of farming your own MF gear so you can find more powerful items to replace that MF gear. By allowing people to purchase the game, they've eliminated entirely one aspect of the game that's been there and been a proud heritage of Diablo for years.

-Unskilled players. This one has more to do with D3's game design. Allowing people to freely select skills and runes (especially in an ARPG), is a very bad thing to do. Going hand in hand with purchasing power, allowing these same people to freely select skills is like stealing power from someone else. They didn't earn their skill builds. They didn't do the legwork involved and really learned the game (either from research, or from trial and error). There's a really good reason out there, why almost all RPG's force you to invest in your skills.

In the D3 community, not many people actually CAN build their own builds. Even though the skills and runes are preset effects, most people are not capable of building their own build. Most noobs talk about it as if it was this easy thing, and it's not.

-Flippers. Okay we all know that we got some economy guru's here on D3 and it's no secret that they get ahead by knowing the market. That's all good and all, but the problem is, this method of acquiring wealth and/or gear is too powerful when compared against spending time in the game. It creates elitists who often demean normal players. They're "suckers" or "noobs" simply because they suck at working the economy, or choose not to play the economy.

If the game design has come down to this (and for D3, it has) then the game was designed extremely poorly. Pro economy players should NEVER be superior to players who invest a lot of time. Economic skills should never be superior to skills learned while playing the game.

Bringing it all together, this is a game that completely caters to casuals and fosters unskilled, lazy players with piss poor attitudes. The huge part of making this happen was the two AH's, and in part the free skill select system. Initially, it doesn't seem like such a simple thing as selling gold or gear is such a bad thing but in actuality it is the worst thing that you could do to the game.

The designers of Diablo 2 did it right. They made the best possible game they could, and player economy was truly player driven. You had to conduct face to face trades and if you wanted to purchase items, then you had to do so off of a third party with prices dictated by real market demand. Because the market was separate from the game, they could freely change things in the game for the better, rather than for the worse.

It was great for everybody. Items were not scarce. Plenty of items dropped and there were a lot of usable items. Skill builds really were skill builds and you really had to have game experience to create a working build which creates a sense of accomplishment, starting from scratch all the way to completion. Botting didn't really matter because economy revolved around items, not gold. RM item value was low because the drop rates were so good that regular players can farm themselves (which is how it should be). Normal player should always be on a superior or equal footing to someone who spent money or botted.

Someone please buy this good man a drink.
Reply Quote
For the most part diablo3 is a "single player game" that is played in an online chat room. So someone spending 300 bucks a week or whatever on gear, has no direct effect on you. Unless you both were bidding on the same exact item on the RMAH and his deep pockets happened to win with a 250.00 bid.

Again one does not affect the other, by him buying good gear for his single player experience how does that ruin your game?
Reply Quote
Hilarious video, sad but true analysis.
Edited by MetalMilitia#1803 on 4/1/2013 8:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote

1. It's not just lazy rich people, but people with lots of disposable income as well.
2. Due to #1, this kind of system promotes all the wrong things and in turn creates a poor community and poor playerbase.

2a. Pertaining to Diablo 3, this is how microtransactions/in-game economy hurt the bottom line:

-Players who purchase gear (or gold to buy gear) are not encouraged to learn or play the game normally. They purchase power to skip through the game and farm better/faster than players who do not spend money.

-With enough power, it doesn't matter what their skill build is, so these people don't learn/play the game and come up with their own build. These kind of people often copy off of other people's successful builds.

-Elitist attitude. They spend more money gearing up their character so they are more powerful sooner than those who play the game normally. Because they've gotten so powerful so quick, they often talk down to regular players (who most often are superior PLAYERS) b/c their sheet DPS is higher and/or survivability is better

-Entitled attitude. People who spend money often feel entitled and it goes hand in hand with the elitist attitude. Since they have more money, they claim that it saves "time" as if somehow, their time is more valuable than your time simply because they chose to spend money on gear and you didn't. Newsflash, ANYBODY can dump hundreds of dollars into the game and get the same gear. It's simply a matter of choice and/or principle.

The main problem with this is that these people did not earn their equipment. There is a sense of accomplishment in leveling your character and finding your own great items. You have had to go thru the process of farming your own MF gear so you can find more powerful items to replace that MF gear. By allowing people to purchase the game, they've eliminated entirely one aspect of the game that's been there and been a proud heritage of Diablo for years.

-Unskilled players. This one has more to do with D3's game design. Allowing people to freely select skills and runes (especially in an ARPG), is a very bad thing to do. Going hand in hand with purchasing power, allowing these same people to freely select skills is like stealing power from someone else. They didn't earn their skill builds. They didn't do the legwork involved and really learned the game (either from research, or from trial and error). There's a really good reason out there, why almost all RPG's force you to invest in your skills.

In the D3 community, not many people actually CAN build their own builds. Even though the skills and runes are preset effects, most people are not capable of building their own build. Most noobs talk about it as if it was this easy thing, and it's not.

-Flippers. Okay we all know that we got some economy guru's here on D3 and it's no secret that they get ahead by knowing the market. That's all good and all, but the problem is, this method of acquiring wealth and/or gear is too powerful when compared against spending time in the game. It creates elitists who often demean normal players. They're "suckers" or "noobs" simply because they suck at working the economy, or choose not to play the economy.

If the game design has come down to this (and for D3, it has) then the game was designed extremely poorly. Pro economy players should NEVER be superior to players who invest a lot of time. Economic skills should never be superior to skills learned while playing the game.

Bringing it all together, this is a game that completely caters to casuals and fosters unskilled, lazy players with piss poor attitudes. The huge part of making this happen was the two AH's, and in part the free skill select system. Initially, it doesn't seem like such a simple thing as selling gold or gear is such a bad thing but in actuality it is the worst thing that you could do to the game.

The designers of Diablo 2 did it right. They made the best possible game they could, and player economy was truly player driven. You had to conduct face to face trades and if you wanted to purchase items, then you had to do so off of a third party with prices dictated by real market demand. Because the market was separate from the game, they could freely change things in the game for the better, rather than for the worse.

It was great for everybody. Items were not scarce. Plenty of items dropped and there were a lot of usable items. Skill builds really were skill builds and you really had to have game experience to create a working build which creates a sense of accomplishment, starting from scratch all the way to completion. Botting didn't really matter because economy revolved around items, not gold. RM item value was low because the drop rates were so good that regular players can farm themselves (which is how it should be). Normal player should always be on a superior or equal footing to someone who spent money or botted.

You nailed it! TY!
Reply Quote
This video has everything to do with Diablo 3. (AH/RMAH)
He even talks about Diablo 3 6 minutes 50 secounds in or you could just watch the whole video..its good with good points.

Damn those lazy people with loads of money and want to play video games. What is this world coming to? You mean to tell me that fair doesn't mean equal and that life is neither?
Reply Quote
03/31/2013 04:48 PMPosted by vexorian
People are enjoying this game in a way that I do not approve of.

+0.5. Full marks would have been given for:

People are enjoying this game in a way of which I do not approve.
Reply Quote
04/01/2013 09:01 AMPosted by mki
Damn those lazy people with loads of money and want to play video games. What is this world coming to? You mean to tell me that fair doesn't mean equal and that life is neither?

+17
Reply Quote

TL; DR. But I did have time to click on your profile. You have a lot of great items for someone who clearly wouldn't DREAM of using the Auction House. Perhaps itemisation is not so bad after all?
Reply Quote
04/01/2013 08:06 AMPosted by NBrad
So someone spending 300 bucks a week or whatever on gear, has no direct effect on you.

wrong. watch video. has direct impact on game quality. thx for your opinion!

Nope. Sorry, no impact. But nice try!
Reply Quote
04/01/2013 09:26 AMPosted by NBrad
well thats what happens when you have a dumb idea and are 100% dedicated to holding on to it ;)

Agreed! But the power is in your hands! Just let it go.
Reply Quote
Its not the hard working or rich folks fault that Blizz made it possible to purchase its items for real money. The RMAH is the true reason for the crappy game economy. Until the RMAH is removed from the game it will never be a balanced and fair game. If your not buying stuff on the RMAH, hopefully you find one or two items to sell there before you quit the game.
Reply Quote
View profile

In reality they do. Ever heard of tuition?

....................I learn in school and so one, really good..one day i will be a doctor and save lifes cause i know my sh-t.
Then comes the one whos mother pays 200.000$ so he gets his PHD, becomes a doctor and fu-k everyone cause actually he is a noob.

You apparently have no characters and don't even play this game, yet feel the need to complain about something you seem not have any real experience. On top of that you have no idea what a PHD is, you are referring to an MD, not a PHD.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”

― George Carlin
Reply Quote

....................I learn in school and so one, really good..one day i will be a doctor and save lifes cause i know my sh-t.
Then comes the one whos mother pays 200.000$ so he gets his PHD, becomes a doctor and fu-k everyone cause actually he is a noob.

You apparently have no characters and don't even play this game, yet feel the need to complain about something you seem not have any real experience. On top of that you have no idea what a PHD is, you are referring to an MD, not a PHD.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”

― George Carlin

And the reason that you wanted to check my profile ?!?!
you must be a retard to think that ONLY US.battle.net exists.
You know nothing and apparently you are one of the guys that are to lazy to change Us with EU and search for profiles.

effing retard.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Crash-2643/hero/10733295
Reply Quote
For the most part diablo3 is a "single player game" that is played in an online chat room. So someone spending 300 bucks a week or whatever on gear, has no direct effect on you. Unless you both were bidding on the same exact item on the RMAH and his deep pockets happened to win with a 250.00 bid.

Again one does not affect the other, by him buying good gear for his single player experience how does that ruin your game?

It doesn't "ruin" the game. It does, however, price the 'best' items out of the reach of many players. But, that is life. And once Blizzard introduced the RMAH, real life poked it's ugly face into our little fantasy world.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]