Diablo® III

Lazy Rich People are Ruining Games

Lazy Rich people?

More oxymoron please
Reply Quote
04/01/2013 10:26 AMPosted by Ramminar
It doesn't "ruin" the game. It does, however, price the 'best' items out of the reach of many players. But, that is life. And once Blizzard introduced the RMAH, real life poked it's ugly face into our little fantasy world.

Point taken for sure. It created an opportunity for real income and "pay to win". Having said that, if we only had GAH, would it be different? If you remove the option of buying gold with real money, YES.

I use in game gold/trading to stay geared. Not purely "self-found" but I am having fun for free and keeping chars progressing.
Reply Quote
83 Gnome Mage
04/01/2013 10:37 AMPosted by Dabrixmgp
Lazy Rich people?

You know the ones. They just sit around all day drinking overpriced wine and using the poor for footrests.

Then they apparently log on D3 and buy gear, but don't bother to play the game.
Reply Quote
good video, I agreed with most of it. Here is my $.02:

1. It's not just lazy rich people, but people with lots of disposable income as well.
2. Due to #1, this kind of system promotes all the wrong things and in turn creates a poor community and poor playerbase.

2a. Pertaining to Diablo 3, this is how microtransactions/in-game economy hurt the bottom line:

TL; DR. But I did have time to click on your profile. You have a lot of great items for someone who clearly wouldn't DREAM of using the Auction House. Perhaps itemisation is not so bad after all?
As you didn't read my post, I never said I wouldn't use the AH, however I'm not one of those people who purchase gold to gear their character or flip items to afford them. Which were the kind of people I was talking about.

What you see are budget items and/or farmed items. Anything expensive that I have (which is not much), are either farmed, or obtained by selling an expensive item that I found.

4 BOA Equip = crafted using farmed essences and gold
Andariel's = 8-9m
Natalya's Embrace = 3 to 500,000g
Manticore = 7m
Dead Man's Legacy = 4m
Natalya's Bloody Footprints = 7.5m
Hellfire Ring = Free
Leoric's Signet (as well as one on follower) = Farmed
Witching Hour = Farmed (valued at 150m)
Inna's Temperance = Farmed

Expensive items you don't see are my Natalya's ring (50m) and rare ring I bought for 40m (which apparently real value is 150m lol). Total cost of the equipment I purchased shown in profile is 28m. If you want to include the two rings, which were rare splurge purchases recently, then it's 118m.

With the amount of time I farmed the game (as you saw, I'm plvl 92, 93 since it's not updated) 118m is nothing compared to how much gold people are spending these days (billions to hundreds of billions). Every item you see, I earned. I am definitely NOT one of those people I spoke about in my post.

04/01/2013 09:35 AMPosted by xxxLawDogxxx
Its not the hard working or rich folks fault that Blizz made it possible to purchase its items for real money. The RMAH is the true reason for the crappy game economy.
Actually it's the gold auction house that's the reason for the crappy game economy. Gold can be botted, but real money can't. Even Jay Wilson alluded to that. What Blizzard SHOULD have done, was not install the AH, but also not make 3rd party trading (like selling items for real money) a bannable offense.
Edited by Wukong#1593 on 4/1/2013 11:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Actually it's the gold auction house that's the reason for the crappy game economy. Gold can be botted, but real money can't. Even Jay Wilson alluded to that. What Blizzard SHOULD have done, was not install the AH, but also not make 3rd party trading (like selling items for real money) a bannable offense.

I hadn't considered the fact that bots can collect gold which floods the market. Also, gold can be converted to real money directly, or used to buy flippable items.

If you allow trading outside D3 for real money, aren't we back to where we are right now though?

I suppose all gold would then only be used for repairs and crafting then.
Reply Quote
If you allow trading outside D3 for real money, aren't we back to where we are right now though?
Not necessarily because the 3rd party market exists outside of the game. Whatever happens outside of the game has nothing to do with Blizzard. Blizzard doesn't have to factor the AH or the economy into any changes. You'll always have people who purchase items for money so whether or not it's allowed, people will do it anyways.
Reply Quote
04/01/2013 12:07 PMPosted by NBrad
people seem to forget that D2 items were NEVER sold for anything more than like 10 bucks at the very most. most items, even the great ones, were sold on ebay for less than a dollar. it's NOTHING like the D3 RMAH we have today.

Uh early on things definitely sold for more than 10 bucks. A lot of the crazy stuff on JSP went for FG amounts that converted to hundreds of dollars. The only reason gear got so cheap as things went on was the massive amount of duping that was easily done in d2 hahaha.
Reply Quote
04/01/2013 12:20 PMPosted by NBrad

Uh early on things definitely sold for more than 10 bucks. A lot of the crazy stuff on JSP went for FG amounts that converted to hundreds of dollars. The only reason gear got so cheap as things went on was the massive amount of duping that was easily done in d2 hahaha.

proof or be quiet.

You're making claims that items never sold over 10 dollars in diablo 2, and thus the burden of proof is on you. It's common knowledge that windforces went on ebay for literally over $600 in the early days. You're just plain making stuff up to support your points like the streamer ef thread where you are claiming they are somehow hacking unids and duping them so they roll different stats hahahaha.

JSP discussion on most expensive items traded on it http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=37290323&f=21

hope this helps, cowboy
Reply Quote
04/01/2013 12:06 PMPosted by Wukong
Blizzard doesn't have to factor the AH or the economy into any changes.

I agree with this.

If Blizz had designed the game with good itemization from the start, maybe people wouldn't be as compelled to use AH. At the same time, if people KNOW they can get better gear somewhere without farming, some will just because it's there.

If they fix itemization like they say, than I don't care if they leave the AH or not. I think the AH economy would be well served by an itemization refactor. Of course, that means a smaller revenue stream for Blizz, so we'll see...
Reply Quote
Wasn't today supposed to be the itemisation patch in PTR?!?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]