Diablo® III

Can't decide between DW or Skorn

What do you guys think will be better for a person spending 90% of time farming act 3 and acctually killing the elites with a 300mil budget?

I would appreciate real answers aswell. Not just "skorn" or "DW".
Reply Quote
View profile
dw for faster swings with less IAS for hota and the flexibility of going to double nado.

skorn pretty much is stuck playing hota.
Reply Quote
DW.

anyone who tells u they can permawrath on single targets (elites or ubers) with a skorn is fool of it. only way to make skorn viable for ww on single targets is to have ias on nearly every slot possible. now if u just want to farm mp10 trash, u can settle for a skorn because ur going for larger mobs, but since u said u prefer to farm elites... go DW.
Reply Quote
DW

i spend almost all my time during runs in wotb. you can't do that with a skorn. the high atk speed and bash institation lets you add time to wotb on single targets.
more dps cuz perma wrath, more mvmt speed, faster clear times.

two 1handers is the clear winner.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the clarification guys, this will really help me out.
Reply Quote
300mill def DW, =D.

@Phatpho

you are wrong, skorn can do ww too
Edited by SuperJJ#1973 on 4/1/2013 5:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
You're right. skorn can ww. it just costs too much gold to be worth doing. I don't consider having to use 7 slots of IAS to make skorn double nado viable worthwhile. Of course, you could do with less IAS and be forced to play at high MP and take forever killing mobs.

So yes, you are right.
Reply Quote
yes cost too much gold, thats why i m putting my bet on DW to pwn Skorn on the uber challenge
Reply Quote
skorn can ww, but will not come close to tdps of dw barb.
Reply Quote
Ya I had a Skorn and I just bought these 2 1handers in my profile. I pretty sure I like the 1 handers better- perma WOTB is very nice and my dps is only like 5k less then with the skorn, but I keep WOTB up longer so I think I am putting out more DPS then before anyways.

So DW !
Reply Quote
04/01/2013 06:56 PMPosted by MiSo
i just did 2.55/3.40 DW ww vs 1.68 Skorn ww, i got the same time on ghom. weird
Reply Quote
DW.

anyone who tells u they can permawrath on single targets (elites or ubers) with a skorn is fool of it. only way to make skorn viable for ww on single targets is to have ias on nearly every slot possible. now if u just want to farm mp10 trash, u can settle for a skorn because ur going for larger mobs, but since u said u prefer to farm elites... go DW.

You can perma wrath with a skorn on HotA with some attack speed. You don't need a ton of it, but you have to get up to 1.4. 1.5 ideally. You might needs some -HotA gear as well.

I've done it. I've also played a DW HotA build. DW all the way. DW is way cheaper and way faster and just gives you lots more options. A really good high DPS skorn with life steal will cost you a mint. You can do DW with far less expensive weapons and be even more effecient. My entire build (weapons/armor) was all accomplished for under 150 million and I can kill Ghom in 80 seconds on MP10. Go DW.
Reply Quote
You can perma wrath with a skorn on HotA with some attack speed.

its easier with hota because ur constantly dumping fury and sprint/rltw isnt ur primary source of dmg and fury regeneration.
Reply Quote

pick a high end skorn ww user and a high end DW ww user. compare tdps and see what you get.

if theres a 300k skorn user and a 300k dw user.... who do you think will outperform? it will always be the dw. (both using soj)

your paper dps is 264k. mine is 271k.
the difference in our tdps is 2.43mil vs 2.92mil.
6k paper dps difference. 500k tdps difference.

only in an extreme case do i see the skorn winning.
like a 350k skorn user "might" out tdps a 280k dw ww user.
Edited by MiSo#1464 on 4/1/2013 7:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/01/2013 07:39 PMPosted by Nived
You can perma wrath with a skorn on HotA with some attack speed.

its easier with hota because ur constantly dumping fury and sprint/rltw isnt ur primary source of dmg and fury regeneration.

Well you said anyone that can perma wrath with a skorn is full of it. I was just saying its completely possible. Yes it is easier with HotA. Skorns are ideally suited for HotA. You can WW with them and WD uses them as well, but the ideal use is HotA.
Reply Quote
Neither, use a shield and a sword.
Reply Quote
04/01/2013 07:46 PMPosted by Corgon
Well you said anyone that can perma wrath with a skorn is full of it.

reading comprehension non-existant. i dont think u understand... clearly i was talking about ww when i said:

04/01/2013 04:44 PMPosted by Nived
anyone who tells u they can permawrath on single targets (elites or ubers) with a skorn is fool of it. only way to make skorn viable for ww on single targets is to have ias on nearly every slot possible.

and when u look at OP's set his spec is ww.
Edited by Nived#1902 on 4/1/2013 8:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote

pick a high end skorn ww user and a high end DW ww user. compare tdps and see what you get.

if theres a 300k skorn user and a 300k dw user.... who do you think will outperform? it will always be the dw. (both using soj)

your paper dps is 264k. mine is 271k.
the difference in our tdps is 2.43mil vs 2.92mil.
6k paper dps difference. 500k tdps difference.

only in an extreme case do i see the skorn winning.
like a 350k skorn user "might" out tdps a 280k dw ww user.
you are comparing paper dps while i m just trying to point out ww tdps between skorn and dw.
you want me to lean my skorn to you to check your skorn tdps? it will be the same as your current set, i dont see any dw advantage for ww.

you know that if you use skorn and brawler as passive, your skorn tdps will be way ahead in most situation.
Edited by SuperJJ#1973 on 4/1/2013 8:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hi Everyone :)

In the majority of Skorn builds, it is rare that you would run WW/Sprint at all. This skill is much more suited to DW. Skorn shines with Hota/Rend builds and this is where your damage comes from, not tornadoes and thus tDPS isn't really relevant. I use WW for mobility and trash mobs, but Hota/Rend Ubers and elites. I'm not a particularly good player but maintaining wotb against the Ubers or elite packs is not a problem. Hota both generates and dumps Fury so you just sit there with your finger on the hota button and occasionally bash to top up. Maintaining wotb between mobs however is usually not possible.

On a budget, it seems pretty clear that DW is more effective. Depends on your play style really. I think both can be equally as effective as they have diffferent strengths and weaknesses. Skorn for single targets and DW for most other things.

Vote Skorn for me :)
Reply Quote
i'll admit it.

i'm anti skorn. i tried it out and didn't like it. too hard to perma wrath. your skorn would give me a slight tdps increase. around 100k. but the speed of the game would drop drastically. i wouldn't be able to perma wrath the whole run.

so dps wise, it can be similar. but that's not always the case. if i give superjj my weapons, he will lose tdps.

i recommend dw because the pace of the game is improved.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]