Diablo® III

Maps not random enough

I think the real reason for player fatigue is due to the maps not being random enough. The place looks similar after five times play through. The developers should also make the map outline random and not just linear - just like in D1 and D2. This way, the game would definitely look fresh every game. Also, the random event holes currently built in are not even remotely noticeable. Every time I get a side quest I go like "oh, this again" instead of "wow, what could be waiting for me" kind of reaction.

Anyone else feeling the same?
Reply Quote
Yeah, this is easy to agree with.

Many players have asked for some kind of endless dungeon, at the least. Would be nice to see.
Reply Quote
Game Designer
Thanks for the feedback. Generally we agree with you on this. We are actively investigating ways to increase the replayability of the end game by introducing more random and varied play experiences. I just got out of one of those meetings in fact and we are continuing to iterate on and explore new ideas in this area. Running the same parts of Act 3 repeatedly, while still enjoyable, is certainly less random than what we would like the experience to be.
Reply Quote
View profile
03/28/2013 05:43 PMPosted by Travis Day
Thanks for the feedback. Generally we agree with you on this. We are actively investigating ways to increase the replayability of the end game by introducing more random and varied play experiences. I just got out of one of those meetings in fact and we are continuing to iterate on and explore new ideas in this area. Running the same parts of Act 3 repeatedly, while still enjoyable, is certainly less random than what we would like the experience to be.

Good to know because it's getting very repetitive. Hopefully the density changes will help alleviate some of the issue a bit.
Reply Quote
Running the same parts of Act 3 repeatedly, while still enjoyable

lol

yea it sure is still enjoyable
Reply Quote
View profile

Have random events "checkpoint" in which the random event is randomly chosen within a larger pool of random events.

Allow more random events (or simply add) in random dungeons.

Allow random dungeons to spawn... inside random dungeons!

Have the same thing for purple monsters: Have "purple monster checkpoint" where the purple monster is randomly generated.

Make purple monsters more difficult and more memorable.

Add more "destructible that triggers an event ie scarecrow from act 1 that will spawn a rare bat pack".

Add more shiny chests.

I could go on, but I think that's enough :D
Reply Quote
its not so much that i get bored of doing the same crypt runs over and over, its that for me, there just isn't enough content to work with. yes, i get bored of running crypts, but so would i playing through the game from act 1 to act 4 continually, maybe i'm asking too much though. not sure of d2's details on whether it had more/less content at launch, but i'd like to see more content like that of the infernal machine..
Reply Quote
Kulle: My archives are located in the North....

Just remember that if you start making some real changes in the randomness that it affects some other parts of the gameplay.
Reply Quote
in center of rakisscrossing if door opens from a soldier inside have elits, if the same door not opens, dont open only merchant inside.

this is it.

edit;
but i wanna see sometimes the butcher inside
Edited by ferhatsan79#2744 on 3/28/2013 5:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote

The game needs end game dungeons outside of the normal acts. Forget wasting time doing increasing current content's randomness and take a page out of Path of Exile's book. Short-Medium random end game environments.

Instead of dropping as maps, have them drop as legendary Portal Scrolls using random tilesets already within the game, with stats ranging from +20-150% MF, 1-10% increased legendary drops, 20-50% increased monster density, etc...

All the other modern aRPG's have systems like these. Why D3 and Blizzard don't have it yet is beyond me.
Reply Quote
Evil Urns from d2.. You know they are bad, but you still click them.
Reply Quote
Infinite survival mode in random dungeons with monster waves and official rankings would be awesome too Travis. I want competitive PVE with rankings!
Reply Quote
Running the same parts of Act 3 repeatedly, while still enjoyable

I find that hard to believe.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight

It's been one year already. This feature should have been put in/fixed already. Maybe I just expect soo much from Blizzard.
Reply Quote
Maps not random enough = Hurts replay value
Maps very random = Everyone using map hacks

Diablo 2 encouraged everyone to map hack if they wanted to farm bosses properly, mainly andy & meph, considering D3 bosses drop nothing good, i guess this won't be a problem
Reply Quote
03/28/2013 06:21 PMPosted by Herppderpp

It's been one year already. This feature should have been put in/fixed already. Maybe I just expect soo much from Blizzard.

Once the game came out they slashed the dev crew to maintain costs, etc... Just like they do with any other game. Except this one released VERY prematurely and incomplete... Yet they still went with the same old business tactics like nothing was out of the ordinary.
Reply Quote

While it's good news there is talks at Blizzard about this (this was my biggest disappointment. There's no sense of adventure in D3). This doesn't mean opening up other acts via monster density is a solution, which I feel thats where you're reply is heading.

It shouldn't be complicated to allow the engine to build larger dungeons, with more floors. You might want to mention in these meetings that it order to properly solve this problem, you'd actually have to patch in actual new content in the form of additional tileset pieces. Preferably ones that can be used as forks in the road or multi purpose smaller blocks.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]