Diablo® III

S&B QA - Part 5 - Brought to you by AE

Welcome to the fifth installment of the Sword and Board (S&B) barbarian thread!

We have had over 100 pages of content and questions answered and it’s still going strong!

Original Threads:
S&B Part 1:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7200084300?page=1
S&B Part 2:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7415495746?page=1
S&B Part 3:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7708952014?page=1
S&B Part 4:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7923873623?page=1

This time it’s being brought to you exclusively by the AE crew. So sit back, relax in your favorite easy chair and ask your Shield barbarian questions. We will do our best to answer them in a timely fashion.

A little bit about the guild:

**Recruitment is currently CLOSED***

The Arreat Elite is a small guild that Baller, Celanian, and myself came up with in order to have our own place in the world where we can share information, figure out best builds and play together as a team. There is a need that the shield barbs stick together and share our knowledge with the D3 community.

============================================
The Arreat Elite

Baller#1390
Professor#1152
Nikeboy1984#6661
Jook#1782
Crypter#1856
Bruce#1509
Celanian#1548
Waz#1854
vict3r#1515
BalinMcNasty#1722
GearJammer#1823
NexusOne#1881
Drum#1320
Wat69#1698
Delwingoh#6179
myFri3nd#6148
ehong#1314
AlNeo#2621
henry#1793

**Recruitment is currently CLOSED***

============================================

Feel Free to ask your questions and discuss Barbarians below! Our knowledgeable guild should be able to help you out with gearing, playing or what ever you had a question on!

"I don't always play barbarian, but when i do, i prefer to use a shield. Slay happy my friends."

Professor – Out.
Edited by Professor#1152 on 4/6/2013 2:23 PM PDT
-Celinian
(http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Celanian-1548/hero/21706367)

Typo :)

Best of luck to AE!
-Celinian
(http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Celanian-1548/hero/21706367)

Typo :)

Best of luck to AE!

Thank you, i fixed it ....i think ;)
Thank Professor for writing this out and creating the thread, you're the man. We will be doing runs and ubers and things like that shortly, so stay tuned!
Its an honor to be in the AE and I look forward to doing some runs. Thanks guys!
Spent 250mil on tiny upgrades and an hour of juggling items around and crunching numbers but it was totally worth it because now I meet the requirements of the Arreat Elite! All that's left now is to hope you guys think i'm cool enough.

http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/waz-1854/WaZ/20269737
Edited by WaZ#1854 on 3/28/2013 8:29 PM PDT
View profile
Prof, BALLER, Cel - Great Stuff guys! this is a really good idea. You have my FULL support on this thread! =)

Nike
@Waz - Very Nice man! Welcome aboard, Professor will update shortly

@ Nike - You know you always have a spot available once your done conquering real life my mate!
I really want to join but have to get better gear first ><
I wish you guys at Arreat Elite all the best. I love to see variety and you guys are a perfect example of how good S&B can be. I'm a 2-handed affictionado, but the more I play this game and test out different set ups and builds, the more I see how interesting and complex our favorite class is and the possibilities it grants us all in the interest of fun.
I guess I need to work on leveling my female barb to meet the requipments and switch up a little gear. Would it still be able for me to roll with you guys if your short a man or two in a game?
Hello,

I am currently a DW HoTA Barb but love the Sword and Board. I used to be one but wanted to increase my DPS.

I want to be able to transfer back to SnB but I lose 20k DPS in doing so. You have any tips on my gear that will allow me to keep the DPS and bring back the shield? I can currently solo MP10 and would still like to do so (and don't really wanna switch over to Witching Hour).

Thanks
@Waz - Very Nice man! Welcome aboard, Professor will update shortly

@ Nike - You know you always have a spot available once your done conquering real life my mate!

First post is updated to include Waz! Welcome ~!

EDIT:

Thanks for farming with me Waz. Its fun owning Mp10 and not dieing at all isn't it? ;)
Edited by Professor#1152 on 3/29/2013 5:19 PM PDT
Waz pointed something neat out that i have never thought of.
For a HOTA build use weapon throw prior to your Hota spam, and it reduces the animation time for hota, thus making it go faster.

I didn't try this yet, but Waz was talking about it. Seems like a neat idea.
Amped to be in with such a great group of guys and barbs~

heres the idea behind the WT/HOTA which im currently doing in my uber groups and when farming essence in the warriors rest:

within the wotb-buffed aps range of 2.53 - 2.7ish (didn't really test the max too much) you can use weapon throw to cancel out your hota attack animation giving you faster hammers AND inside that aps range your weapon throw attack itself wont be cancelled out so you'll get a little extra bonus damage from weapon throw as well

throwing hammer helps immensely vs ubers and the fury control even vs single target is incredibly easy however it does force you to get a lot of attack speed and a decent amount of crit chance so your CD or EHP may end up suffering as you try to gear (CD for me T_T) plus the loss of the bloodthirst rune is rough but it may be possible to keep it with a bit more crit chance and another -fury item for either weapon throw or hota but I haven't really tested that or how much of a difference in damage there truly is; just kinda telling you guys what i've come up with since professor mentioned it

heres a really quick vid I made just so you can see it in action I am hold down 1 (hota hotkey) and then spamming left click

http://www.twitch.tv/sgwaz/b/384122245
Hello,

I am currently a DW HoTA Barb but love the Sword and Board. I used to be one but wanted to increase my DPS.

I want to be able to transfer back to SnB but I lose 20k DPS in doing so. You have any tips on my gear that will allow me to keep the DPS and bring back the shield? I can currently solo MP10 and would still like to do so (and don't really wanna switch over to Witching Hour).

Thanks

Hey man,

I think a CC helm and a Sword would be your best bet maintaining your high dps. If or when you switch to a shield it will be important to get a 9+ CC Stormshield as well.

But the first upgrade I would get would be CC helm (Help you out either way you look at it)

Then a 9 + CC Stormshield

Then a 1200+ CD/Open Socket Sword, with a ruby more than likely. I would double check on d3raw to see which gives you a better dps gain.
03/29/2013 09:43 AMPosted by SaintCoultz
I guess I need to work on leveling my female barb to meet the requipments and switch up a little gear. Would it still be able for me to roll with you guys if your short a man or two in a game?

You can roll anytime you want my man

@ WAZ,

Great vid, I am going to have to try that out for sure.
Edited by BALLER#1390 on 3/29/2013 7:05 PM PDT
@ Professor

We meet again Sir :). I have been giving this some thought and agree, to my shame, that I had not even considered SnB for my Challenge. The challenge involves fastest times in killing the mp10 Ubers and, through my total lack of understanding of the shield build, I had excluded you do a perceived lack of DPS. If you would like to prove me wrong, I would be most glad.

The challenge involves a team of 4 people. 1 person, the Gearer is provided with 1B in gold. With this, they are to put together a gearset capable of defeating the MP10 Ubers in the least amount of time. The three fighting members of this team, a Champion, his Second and a third member of the general community, will all use this gearset and record their fastest kill times. The fastest 2 out of 3 times will be averaged and compared against Skorn and Dual Wield builds. The winning team gets to donate all gearsets to the community at their discretion.

If you can provide a team, I will provide you with the 1B in gold. Even if your team does not win, I think it would be a great way to educate the community about your build. I plan to start the Chellenge next weekend. What say you Sir?
@Morpheus

This challenge sounds fun. I would be willing to volunteer to be the gearer and I would nominate Baller to be the captain. Professor and Crypter can round out the team.

I do have some reservations however. In terms of pure kill times, S&B will be slower than Skorn/DW. Where s&b shines is the huge ehp while maintaining reasonable dps. Based on the nature of your challenge, the skorn/dw users can make multiple attempts and only show the successful ones, restarting any where there is a death or if circumstances aren't perfect for a fast uber kill such as if they move/attack unpredictably.

What I propose is that you become an observer on any kill attempts. Any team can practice all it wants with the gear set, but it's not official unless you are along on the attempt. It does make it harder for the uber kills since it becomes a carry, but it does protect against the reset button. With 1b in gear, any of the 3 sets should be able to handle a carry. Maybe also have a time penalty for each death.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]