Diablo® III

S&B QA - Part 5 - Brought to you by AE

Just spoke with Professor and once he gets back from his easter party he will be adding in the following SnBers

cvvikram
vict3r
BalinMcNasty
GearJammer

Welcome aboard, very nice barbs indeed!

Please be sure to add in game if I don't beat you to it.

Thanks for the welcome Baller! I look forward to doing runs with y'all! And picking your brains haha!! Going to add the entire list now. If anyone needs any help with anything hit me up. I am on when RL permits lol.
So I recently decided to start playing D3 again, and I have been looking over these threads for tips and such. I tend to be an overly cautious player, and my gear kinda reflects that. I haven't spent more than 200k on any of my stuff, but I was wondering what gear I should be looking to get next. I know I need to be focusing on damage at this point, but with only ~1M I've obviously been starting to try to save up for upgrades. I also feel like my HP is a little low, but I haven't had a chance to really look at anything. I'm just comparing to what I used to have.

If anyone had suggestions on what to try to save up for/pick up next it would be greatly appreciated.
@Ogedei

Try to farm some demonic essences and craft bracers, gloves, and amulet. With your budget, this is the cheapest way to get the biggest possible improvements.
Thanks Baller and Prof for adding me. How are we getting groups together to make some runs? I would like to run with any fellow barbs or barbies with a shield just add me in the game. I'm not to baller or prof stats but I try to work on my barbie nightly. I do key runs mostly and this is were I get my exp.
Hey guys...dont want to deviate the topic at all but i just have a question....why being so well equipped do you bother with shields?

Please dont misunderstand me..... I love shields and have use them my first 250 hours of game or so with a HoTa build (kind of).....in that times I was playing without using the AH and prepacth 1.05 so it was impossible to survive witouth a shield.

But there is a point when i felt that they were useless (as well as my self imposed challenge of not using the AH). I mean the gain in EHP is like much less than the loss in damage.....its kinda a breaker in my opinion....so......

Do you do it because you are bored of the WW or there is something that im missing (this is very probable as im pretty sure that so much guys with much better gear than me should know better).

Dont take it badly im just wondering if im missing something......

Why do we bother with shields? Here are my thoughts on this.

For me it starts with several things. The general population of barbarians fall into two categories…..maybe three but I’m going to focus on two for now.

The one category is the dps class. They stack and stack all the crit, strength, attack speed and whatever else they can go achieve an extremely high paper dps. Chances are they end up with roughly 300k dps and 400k - 700k ehp. Now most will tell you it’s all the ehp one needs in this game, don’t' bother going for more because it’s useless. However, go watch some SmashingMellon’s twitch broadcast or look @ his profile here: http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/melonsmasher-1301/Rahamuth/670848 and see how frequently his barbarian dies. He has this type of build with a very high Dps and a moderate Ehp. I don’t know about you but I don’t like to die so much. The more time spent getting killed the less DPS you pump out anyhow on the monsters. I’m not saying he is a bad player, he is not. He is very good and knowledgeable about barbarians. It’s just not my style to die all the time.

The other side of the coin is the EHP barbarians who are very tanky. Mannercookie's pvp setup or jook's pvp setup are examples of this. They stack and stack so much life, %life, %reduce damage from elites …and other modifiers to get their ehp through the roof. I'm talking like 4m+ ehp! Crazy right!? At one point Jook had a setup with 250k Life, and now he has one with about 150k but his EHP is insane! Typically these barbs have a very low sheet / paper dps and rely on out tanking their opponent monster or player.

So let’s review:
High Dps, Moderate to Low EHP = Kills monsters fast, but also is squishy, dies more often than an ehp barb.

EHP barbarian: - Moderate to Low Dps, HIGH ehp (in the millions!) Can’t kill anything fast other than Mp0, Mp1 or Mp2, but also doesn’t die because of their ehp.

Now, the question is, can one combine these two types of barbarians to make one über barbarian?
Yes, you can. That's where (in my opinion) shield’s come in.

Shields allow one to combine both types of barbarians to make the über barbarian that you are dreaming about at night. How else can one get 300k dps and 2million ehp together, at the same time? With a shield, you get more defense, more armor, possibly all resist, strength, crit chance, just to name a few.

Here are some examples of stats that baller, my self, and a random barbarian I found on diablo progress. I selected both of us for this example because we keep pushing each other to go higher and higher with our combo of EHP and DPS. Thanos is just insane, his stats are incredible. If I had billions of gold I hope one day to be like that, or higher stats. Depending on our setups, the following stats may vary but it gives a good example.

Baller:
EHP Unbuffed: 2,668,614
DPS Unbuffed: 166,360

Professor
EHP Unbuffed: 2,005,814
DPS Unbuffed: 199,013

Thanos
EHP Unbuffed 2,900,000
DPS Unbuffed 235,000

When I add in passives, and battle rage, im at 312k dps. When I buff with bash and/or overpower I’m hovering around 400k dps before Berserker mode. I know baller is somewhere near that as well.

Using a shield allows me to play whatever skills I want and be effective. If I feel like going WW setup, I can, no gear swaps necessary. If I want to do a Uber run and go with HOTA, I can, no extra gear required.

(**Stands on my soapbox, clears throat…ahem!**)
The question that was asked was.. “why do you use a shield”

And my question to everybody else is “why isn’t everybody using a shield?”

Simple answer: because nobody told them how to. There is no Video’s, no tutorials, no Twitch channels of a shield barb, no guides etc.. This call of duty, instant gratification generation of gamers can’t think for themselves and can’t come up with builds or ideas/concepts without being spoon fed answers. The game is not too hard, they made it easier for you and yet you still are complaining about the poison pools, reflect damage, and who knows what else. Get some EHP quit the b1tching.
made the reqs i guess :) to bad i am on wrong server :p

http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/alneo-2621/Tank/4368996
Edited by AlNeo#2621 on 4/1/2013 3:02 PM PDT
I noticed that every S/B uses a stormshield with 30+ block and 9+ crit chance, but has anyone thought of getting a rare shield with str/vit/ar/life%?

Even though the stormshields have an above average chance of having more block%, would it be more benefitial to find a rare shield with high block chance and life bonuses?

I don't understand the mechanics of a stormshield vs rare shield so I just thought i'd ask.
I noticed that every S/B uses a stormshield with 30+ block and 9+ crit chance, but has anyone thought of getting a rare shield with str/vit/ar/life%?

Even though the stormshields have an above average chance of having more block%, would it be more benefitial to find a rare shield with high block chance and life bonuses?

I don't understand the mechanics of a stormshield vs rare shield so I just thought i'd ask.

I will try to answer this to the best of my abilities lol. The reason behind us using SS is pretty much what you stated "an above average chance of have more block%" that coupled with the damage red bonus from melee and elites (min 5% each) gives more eHP returns that say the extra life% and vit could give from a rare. I am currently using a 31% block SS and 1% more block still gives me over 5k more ehp per point. +1% more melee dmg red gives me +14k more ehp and +1% more dmg red from elites give 15k+ eHP. Those affixes are hard to come by in other gear slots than life%,VIT, or more STR.

From the looks of SS, the reduced damage benefits the shield more
Oh ok I see, I completely forgot about the reduction bonuses that the stormshield has, that makes more sense now.

Thanks for the fast replies!
Good to see the Arreat Elite up and going!

I would like to join, but I have a problem with the entry requirements, about 29k dps short or so according to diablo progress,

http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/asmodeous-1189/Krag/3662432

I figure that changing my IK belt to a witching hour and hellfire ring to an Average/crit chance/damage litany of the undaunted or similar would probably do it,
But I kind of like my IK belt for the life steal and Revenge critical chance as Revenge is my preferred technique of destruction. Sure, my unbuffed dps will increase, but I'll be landing less crits with revenge so it's a case of two steps forward and two steps back.

Adding IAS to my build is probably the key, but IAS has little real world DPS effect on Revenge/Rend, only Frenzy.

So has anybody got any idea's in how I can boost my DPS of my SnB'er, but keep it real world DPS that will increase my barbs killing speed?
Edited by Asmodeous#1189 on 4/1/2013 9:51 PM PDT
View profile
Hi Guys,

Just dropping by!

Finally sold 80% of my gears, all the proceeds went to my wife's new louis vuitton handbag lol

Cheers to the AE and more power to shield barbs!

RESPECT THE SHIELD!

Nike
Good to see the Arreat Elite up and going!

I would like to join, but I have a problem with the entry requirements, about 29k dps short or so according to diablo progress,

http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/asmodeous-1189/Krag/3662432

I figure that changing my IK belt to a witching hour and hellfire ring to an Average/crit chance/damage litany of the undaunted or similar would probably do it,
But I kind of like my IK belt for the life steal and Revenge critical chance as Revenge is my preferred technique of destruction. Sure, my unbuffed dps will increase, but I'll be landing less crits with revenge so it's a case of two steps forward and two steps back.

Adding IAS to my build is probably the key, but IAS has little real world DPS effect on Revenge/Rend, only Frenzy.

So has anybody got any idea's in how I can boost my DPS of my SnB'er, but keep it real world DPS that will increase my barbs killing speed?

I think your going to need to max out your CD on your ammy, rings, and gloves to do this. I am willing to bet if you got 90 CD on your ammy with similar stats you would be very close. I can also see maybe going to high str/CD IK Gloves and Mempo being a good option as well. You don't need to get a WH to achieve this, keep your life steal and revenge bonus, you can do without the WH belt.
Hi Guys,

Just dropping by!

Finally sold 80% of my gears, all the proceeds went to my wife's new louis vuitton handbag lol

RESPECT THE SHIELD!

Nike

Well I am happy to see all those hours of no lifing went to a damn good hand bag! Your the man Nike, we miss you! Your welcome anytime my brother!

Hope all is well!

-BALLER

PS - Yes please, RESPECT THE SHIELD!
View profile
Hi Guys,

Just dropping by!

RESPECT THE SHIELD!

Nike

Well I am happy to see all those hours of no lifing went to a damn good hand bag! Your the man Nike, we miss you! Your welcome anytime my brother!

Hope all is well!

-BALLER

PS - Yes please, RESPECT THE SHIELD!

Thanks Man! with my busy schedule i still read thru this thread everyday and will always be here to support the S&B community and all our loyal shield barbs!

Cheers mate,

Nike
Thanks to the tanky sword/board setup, MP10 Ubers have been conquered by my Barb :)

My lowly barb (HOTA/Rend) just solo'd MP10 ubers with only 1 death! Per diabloprogress:
http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/boost4g63t-1153/tagaBunrok/10663474

EHP Unbuffed: 1,392,350
DPS Unbuffed: 98,068.96
Thanks to the tanky sword/board setup, MP10 Ubers have been conquered by my Barb :)

My lowly barb (HOTA/Rend) just solo'd MP10 ubers with only 1 death! Per diabloprogress:
http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/boost4g63t-1153/tagaBunrok/10663474

EHP Unbuffed: 1,392,350
DPS Unbuffed: 98,068.96

Gratz boost!!! Respect the Shield!!!! :D
Nice work, Baller.

I still say Dual-Wielding can hit 2,000,000 EHP. I was at 1.5m at one point. 225,000 damage unbuffed. Too bad that it's completely unusable in Brawling though -- have to mitigate damage in other ways. Block chance and amount, dodge (loads and loads of it), armour, etc.

Sigh.
Nice work, Baller.

I still say Dual-Wielding can hit 2,000,000 EHP. I was at 1.5m at one point. 225,000 damage unbuffed. Too bad that it's completely unusable in Brawling though -- have to mitigate damage in other ways. Block chance and amount, dodge (loads and loads of it), armour, etc.

Sigh.

all depends on the weapons, if you can get em with high vit, dex and cd rolls its definetly possible to go over 2 mill ehp as dw, will cost heaps though
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]