Wow, excellent post, OP. I've been looking for a wand with CD, OS, LS, APoC for a few weeks now. I was wondering why it seemed that every wand on the AH had max AP. It's because every wand on the AH does have max AP, haha. Now I understand why the wands have such bad damage when putting CD, OS, LS, APoC in the search fields. Because there is no room left for %dmg!
The fixed max AP makes it impossible to get a godly APoC wand. Let me explain why. Well, what makes up a godly 1H?
1. +min/max elemental or black damage - every rare weapon you have equipped and ever will equip has this affix, without it, you'll have a 230 DPS weapon.
2. +crit damage - the poor man's socket. Wiz and WD can only get up to 510 points of crit damage using 1H weapons, 100 of those come from this affix, essential to any godly 1H.
3. socket - the rich man's socket, the ol' gem holder, it's mandatory for obvious reasons.
4. life steal - at end game levels of high DPS, this is the best way to heal yourself. Some classes get it for free on belts and passives, others NEED it on their main hand unless they have some way to spam skills with good LoH return (CM wiz) and even for them, at end game levels, LS still beats it. Permagloom DH doesn't need it, Wiz does.
5. +% damage - this is the affix that takes those well rolled 1000 DPS weapons and sends them into the stratosphere of 1200 DPS. It also takes a bad 800 DPS weapon up to a playable DPS.
6. your choice, could be any of the following depending on item type:
Attack speed - lots of builds love this mod. It makes you attack faster.
Mainstat - moar damage
Mainstat/offstat combo - a little less damage but still moar damage, plus you get a little dodge, res all, armor, or HP along with it.
Vit - you'd rather get this elsewhere but 200 vit is 7000 HP before compounded by % life items, so for many characters, this amount to over 10k HP.
Life on hit - not ideal but I wouldn't kick it out of bed either, gives you life when you hit something. Good stat to have for very tanky players.
Life on kill - If you are doing massive DPS, you are killing many things very quickly. If this number is very large, it's like every enemy drops a mini health globe and it can be a replacement for passive life regen. Not helpful against single elites or bosses but it is an underrated stat, if it's huge like, 1500+.
Max discipline - increases DH's survivability resource, decent stat for them.
Hatred regen - This gives DHs more uptime for their harder-hitting hatred spenders.
Max mana - a little bit of burst DPS for WDs.
Mana regen - Most WD builds need at least a piece or two with this stat for sustained DPS, which is why 4 piece zuni is so popular.
Max fury - again, not the best stat but it does make it a little easier to increase wotb timer. Would you vendor a 1100 DPS CD/OS/LS/maxfury mighty weapon? Didn't think so.
Spirit regen - IAS would give more spirit than this for dual wielding monks I think but from my limited understanding of monks, you would certainly rather have this than nothing.
Life/spirit spent - kind of like life on hit that only works with spirit spenders. Yes, you would probably rather have dex or IAS but it's better than nothing.
Bonus vs. elites - Give you a DPS increase vs elites, solid stat.
Skill bonuses - Increases damage of skill X, increases critical hit chance of skill Y, etc. Improves one skill in your arsenal. Not available to all classes (sorry guys :'( I wish it was.)
AP on crit - The single best way for wizards to gain arcane power and sustain DPS.
Max AP - Gives wiz a tiny amount of burst DPS. Not great but better than nothing. But it is the only one, out of ALL these options, that can roll on the prototypical godly wand.
That's right, if a wand has CD, LS, OS, and both damage affixes, it cannot have int, it cannot have vit, it cannot have APoC, it cannot even have magic missile damage because that slot is always occupied by max AP.
I believe this is what the OP is asking Blizz to do:
Remove max AP as a fixed roll from rare wands and throw it into the pool with all the other possible affixes.
He's absolutely right, they should do this.