Diablo® III

Resolution scaling on 7950

MVP - Technical Support
View profile
The 7950 has an unusual 2560x1600 native resolution hard coded in firmware. even though my cinema displays native resolution is actually 1680x1050

so anyways, i set system preferences back to 1680x1050 (scaled) on the 7950 but now D3 will not play at that resolution, in fact, D3 seems to prefer the firmware native resolution of 2560x1600 BEFORE launching game, then matching it in game. Any scaled out of game resolution is blurry in game and in game resolutions do not match at all. Text and images in general are fuzzier than normal. All because 7950 doesn't register my true native resolution as 1680x1050. is there any way to get D3 to play at 1680x1050, or at least not be fuzzy if i don't play at my new native resolution of 2560x1600? Setting both desktop and D3 to 2560x1600 is not any type of solution if i don't want to tank my fps to ground.

This is basically an echo post of same problem in SC2
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/8518431993

I do not see the problem in wow. But both SC2 and D3 look fuzzy and terrible unless I play at 2560x1600 and that's just NOT going to fly. The scaling code in both games clearly has a bug in it.
Edited by MysticalOS#1981 on 3/29/2013 9:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
Straight from my text clipping just for such an occasion:

Open the Terminal and enter the following line, followed by the Enter key:

defaults write com.blizzard.diablo3 DesktopModeIsDefault 1

Once entered Diablo 3 can use your current desktop resolution as if it were the native resolution. In order for this to work, you must first set your desktop resolution to whatever you want Diablo 3 to run at, and then launch Diablo 3.

To revert your preference file, issue the following command in Terminal:

defaults delete com.blizzard.diablo3 DesktopModeIsDefault

You should make a backup of this file before attempting this, just in case. The file is located here:

~/Library/Preferences/com.blizzard.diablo3.plist

This will allow you to use a lower resolution for Diablo 3 like you used to without the added distortion/UI offsets caused by the non-standard resolutions that are now hard-coded into the game.

Use the Terminal command here and set your desktop resolution to whatever you want D3 to run at and just leave it at that. No muss, no fuss.

Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
Yep, that solves that problem. no more fuzzy and it's playing at good resolution again. i wonder if same works for SC2.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
03/31/2013 09:48 AMPosted by MysticalOS
Yep, that solves that problem. no more fuzzy and it's playing at good resolution again. i wonder if same works for SC2.

it likely does. I know it works for WoW as well, and if SC2 uses the same screwy resolutions handling code that D3 and WoW do, that command should work by replacing com.blizzard.diablo3 with com.blizzard.sc2 or com.blizzard.starcraft2.

Alternatively you can find sc2's plist and add the entry manually with a value of "1" (without the quotes). Make sure to keep the capitalization exactly as it is in the command above though.

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]