Diablo® III

Tempest Rush Monk Help

So yea, MP 0 is nothing, but MP 2 and higher, it gets dangerous running around elite packs. I'm going to keep it short and simple, what spells or items should I look to change?
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Hello Velrath,

I would recommend switching from your Skull Grasp to a SW damage SoJ with 2+ spir/sec.

Alternatively you could get a TR crit SoJ, but I don't think you have enough CHC to make SW:Cyclone work so that is probably sub-optimal.

Once you have the SoJ, you will have enough spirit per second to drop MoH:Circ in favor of MoC:Submission.
or
You can drop SW:InnerStorm for SW:FireStorm.

Either one of these changes would drastically increase your xp/hr, run speed, loot/hr and overall enjoyment (that one is just a guess).

As for MP level...
Cookie-Cutter Tempest Rush, the spec you are currently enjoying, operates best on MP0 or 1.
At 200k DPS it is still less efficient for me to run MP2 over MP1.

If you want to move out of the MP0-1 range, you will want to get a Skorn with Lifesteal and then switch to a TR-Hybrid build such as TR-Bells or TR-CS-EP.

Best of luck!

-Druin, the happy monk

Edit: for an example of my preferred TR-Bells hybrid build (I was using it to run MP10 VotA last night) please refer to my profile here:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Druin-1518/hero/2296
Edited by Druin#1518 on 4/2/2013 11:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
To run higher monster powers, it will really help to have life steal. Right now you have a bit of life on hit...life on hit is reduced by 75% when using tempest rush, so it's pretty useless. The life after kill you have on your amulet is what is keeping you alive on the lower MP levels.

Since you're going higher MP levels, I'm going to assume that you're not just farming, because for farming, it's better to play a low MP level and kill more enemies quicker. If speed isn't your main concern, I'd recommend switching the Tempest Rush rune to Slipstream. The 25% damage reduction is amazing and will really help you out.

For added protection, switch Chant of Resonance to either One with Everything (in which case you'd have to stack one resist on top of RA) or Seize the Initiative (not as effective, but useful if you can't stack a resist). With the spirit regen on your helm, along with circular breathing, inner storm, and guardians path, you should already have more than enough spirit regen to sustain Tempest Rush. You would also have to get rid of the attack speed rings and replace them with crit chance, crit damage, and high dex (you can also throw AR on there). You could definitely play this out so that you'll be dealing higher damage in addition to increasing your survivability.
Reply Quote
Wow thanks you two. Good information. And also Druin, I already had your account bookmarked before I posted this topic to look at your gear/build. :P
Reply Quote
With my monk's TR gear I can do MP3 at almost the same speed as MP0. For starters I use this build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#ecXSjk!bcd!bZbbbc

For gear, you will want to change the following:
· Skull Grasp -> Stone of Jordan with 2 spirit regen or more, preferably one that adds cold damage, and a minimum of 25% damage to elites. Ones with Wave of Light and Sweeping Wind are easier to find and acquire than ones that add crit chance to Tempest Rush. Alternatively, get a Unity (with crit dmg if you can afford it, NOT ias)
· Natalya's Reflection -> Hellfire ring (crit chance and/or crit damage)
· Natalya's Bloody Footprints -> Ice Climbers with 12% MS or Zunimassa's boots with high dex (the % poison damage adds up)
· Inna's Vast Expanse / Temperance -> Switch these out with ones that have vit or all resist, then socket them with emeralds. The chest can have upwards of 280 vit, pants can have around 190. Look at my profile for examples of these.
· Strongarm Bracers -> Craft yourself a pair of bracers with dex/vit/AR/armor/CC, again - see my profile.
· Vile Ward -> Upgrade to crafted shoulders with high dex, some vit, and AR. Maybe you'll get lucky and craft a pair with armor.
· "The Harvest" Amulet -> Get a Xephirian Amulet with at least 2 spirit regen and 7% crit chance.
· Skorn -> Get one with Lifesteal. Dying once is dying too frequently. With Wave of Light you will be able to go from 1% hp to full in one hit on a pack of elites. It's invaluable. Anyone who says otherwise either has a ton of LOH with a weird build or hasn't played a TR monk very long.

Just FYI... Your "paper" dps will look low, probably around 100k. Keep in mind you'll constantly be doing damage with SW: Fire Storm, Mantra of Conviction, and will be doing 30% more damage to elites. With enough practice you should be able to run through enemies while making 360 degree turns very quickly to ensure they die with one pass.

How to find a SOJ (in case you don't know). Select Armor, All Armor Item Types, and in Preferred Stats choose Bonus vs Elites, Spirit Regeneration, Monk Skill (WOL, SW - you CAN'T search for TR).
Reply Quote
You have less than 200 Resist all, too little health pool, and the only Sustain you have is LAK. So your basically set up for trash mobs only. Elemental Damage can kill you without effort, and you cannot stay in Melee vs Elites without some sort of sustain.

I suggest you try MP1, do some vault runs and collect Demonic Essence and Crafting mats for some more crafting, get some Resist, better Vit on Shoulders. All your crafting slots could be upgraded. Work on your EHP some. Read Piffles guide on gearing [Sticky - Answers Inside] I know his guide is for more normal builds, not so much a TR thing, but the basic understanding of balance is needed for all builds, then Druins.

To Answer yoru question - - Try dropping Bells on Elites. Kill em quick before they can cast pools or lasers, or have a chance to hit you. Also, rush Elites as soon as you see them, don't kill trash mobs first. If you take a hit, run back to the trash and kill it for health. Clean up area after Es are down.

Good luck to you,

Dailach
Edited by Dailach#1342 on 4/2/2013 11:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
@Evil

Just for reference:

1. I am EXTREMELY skeptical that you are gaining efficiency from MP3.
If you could do some xp/hr calcs, my guess is you would actually be getting a fairly substantial loss with the move from MP1 to MP2 and MP2 to MP3.

2. I no longer believe a CHC Xeph is a worthwhile investment. Crafting a good DPS ammy is simply too easy and CHC spir/sec Xephs are too rare.
I would look into a crafted ammy before looking into a CHC xeph.

Other than that, I pretty much agree with you.

Some of those suggestions may be out of our OP's price range though! :D
Reply Quote
@Druin

1. I know I'm not gaining efficiency on MP3, but MP0 gets boring after doing 10+ runs in a row =) It is definitely an overall loss moving past MP1.

2. CHC Xephirian Amulets are pretty cheap if you watch bids every day or two. My crafted amulet is vastly superior to any xeph possible, but rushing around with TR and stopping only to insta-kill elite packs with WOL and continue TRing significantly reduced my run times. Without Xeph amulet, you'd have to use a spirit generator - which I really don't like to do (with skorn, they all feel so sluggish and seem to waste time). I'm set up for the standard dual wield MP7 stuff right now, but I think with my 2.48 helm, 2.12 SOJ, 2.08 xeph, and the 3 passives I'm at 14.something spirit regen - it just feels so good.

I used your guide to set up my build/gear and tweak things here and there for my playstyle, so thank you for that. Overall, I think our builds are pretty similar. I actually really like the air ally for it's extra aoe damage and randomly being shot back up to full spirit... and besides, all that really matters is that we are having fun, while maintaining our borderline-autistic efficiency requirements :p
Reply Quote
Haha, yea I'm a little broke at the moment to buy like a good LS Skorn, so I'll have to try and make do with what I have. A friend had a SoJ for me that I'm using now. It's got low Bonus vs. Elites, but It did have over 2 SR and SW Damage.

I tested in MP 4 and wasn't having problems on the two elite packs I killed and they died fast using WoL, but still need to do more testing when I get off work.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
@Druin

1. I know I'm not gaining efficiency on MP3, but MP0 gets boring after doing 10+ runs in a row =) It is definitely an overall loss moving past MP1.

2. CHC Xephirian Amulets are pretty cheap if you watch bids every day or two. My crafted amulet is vastly superior to any xeph possible, but rushing around with TR and stopping only to insta-kill elite packs with WOL and continue TRing significantly reduced my run times. Without Xeph amulet, you'd have to use a spirit generator - which I really don't like to do (with skorn, they all feel so sluggish and seem to waste time). I'm set up for the standard dual wield MP7 stuff right now, but I think with my 2.48 helm, 2.12 SOJ, 2.08 xeph, and the 3 passives I'm at 14.something spirit regen - it just feels so good.

I used your guide to set up my build/gear and tweak things here and there for my playstyle, so thank you for that. Overall, I think our builds are pretty similar. I actually really like the air ally for it's extra aoe damage and randomly being shot back up to full spirit... and besides, all that really matters is that we are having fun, while maintaining our borderline-autistic efficiency requirements :p

Nice response! :D

Fun >>> all else!

The only reason I would even point out what I did is that I don't want people to get the wrong idea if they are searching for efficiency as I so often am. If MP3 is more fun for you, MP3 is the best MP level! :D

As for Xeph, I am actually able to infi-TR without it and without a spirit generator using this build:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#ecXSjk!Zdc!bZbYbc

My spirit profile:
Gain: 2.48 (hat) 2.23 (ring) 0.33 (set bonus) 2 (CoR) 3 (Inner Storm) *1.47 (Templar + GP) = 14.76
Loss: 1.0 (APS) * [1+ 0.09 (pants) + 0.08 (ammy) + 0.06 (hellfire)] * 10 (TR cost) = 12.3
Net: 14.76 - 12.3 = 2.46 gained

If I use a Cyclone-Circ build with my 2x Nat's I have an additional 2% IAS from Nat's ring instead of Hellfire and only gain 2.26 spir/sec but it still works the same.

I have found this is my most optimal setup when going for xp/hr on MP1 and I average ~95m xp/hr at ~190k DPS.

Because of the amount of DPS my ammy gives, switching to my 2.2 spir/sec 8% CHC xeph and using both Submission and Cyclone actually tanks my xp/hr! :(
Reply Quote
So, I'm starting to question if it's worth it to be Tempest? Is another build better at all or should I be going Dual Wield? I want to know before I start really putting gold into it.
Reply Quote
buy my (cheaper) LoK skorn on AH now :-) it rocks
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
04/02/2013 11:44 PMPosted by Valrath
So, I'm starting to question if it's worth it to be Tempest? Is another build better at all or should I be going Dual Wield? I want to know before I start really putting gold into it.

All depends on what you want bud.

Some people try TR and fall in love (me) some people try TR and get bored instantly.

You simply can't compete with TR for xp/hr on a monk at this time.
So, if you are looking to maximize your xp/hr you will definitely want to at least look into being a TR monk.

You can pretty easily build an intro-gear set with ~25m gold (<$2) so it's not exactly bank-breaking! :D
Reply Quote
I used to DW all the way to Plvl40 at around mp5 with 180k DPS. I never tried TR at all.

Now i just got lazy and i TR my way through mp1/2.
It's so much more efficient, when a bell can wipe out an entire elite mob.
And you just mow through stuff, it's kinda fun.

I used Druin's guide as well. amazing person he is.
Reply Quote
I got an ok Life Steal Skorn and I'm enjoying it a lot more. Dropped in DPS, but now I can do MP5 Key runs and such no problem. I don't die to Reflect Damage anymore and WoL is helping me a lot! Thanks for the help. I'm currently looking for the items that evil suggested, but it's a lot easier to survive now! :D
Reply Quote
Nice TR Monk!!! BTW, try to improve ur AR along with the dps. mayb you will be more enjoy when farming higher MP, Especially when you WOL to the RD elite..haha =p
As for me, i need to maintained my current zuni's boot and HF ring.. will change to nat set after get the p100.. =)
TR FTW!!
Reply Quote
@Valrath,

Wow, you have made some nice upgrades in the last couple days. Grats.

Keep at it, I agree with FE3, keep looking to improve your AR & EHP when you can.

TR'ing is great for speed farming at lower MP levels, it is best used when you’re able to one-touch nearly all the trash mobs, and dropping 1-2 bells on Es, gaining great XP/hour. It can also be used to 'speed thru' trash mobs to get to the next Epack when farming Elites (Stacks, DEs, L-Drops etc) at medium MPs. But I think most Monks find it more challenging in the upper MPs and tend to go to other builds. Duel LS Weapons (or 1 LS with good EHP) or one of the faster Spirit generating builds with a Skorn. I have watched Druin run MP10 TR, and he makes it look easy, but I have not yet found that comfort zone, my TR gear robs too much of my EHP and I die easily. Try some of the other builds as well, it’s all about trying new things and enjoying the game.
Reply Quote
FYI, Druin provided a really helpful response to some of my questions about TR/Bell build in higher MP levels. Here's a link to the post, in case you are interested in reading:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8568886903#10

I'm presently trying to use the TR/Bell build for higher MPs. I'm doing MP5 VofA runs (with a different gear setup to lower attack speed), and I might be even to do higher if I put STI back onto my monk. With the gear that I have on now, I was clearing MP8 CotA runs without too many deaths the first night I tried. I also ran MP10 in a group through parts of A3 and survived pretty well too (with a slightly different spec).

Anyway, something to consider if you decide to keep the skorn to do higher MPs.
Reply Quote
Hi there just built my TR monk so new to TR read through Druins TR thread and couldn't help myself now I play monk again and barb has been pushed aside but I stuck on mp7 I die if I go any higher so any help would be appreciated.

I have enough spirt so sustain perm but survival I just cant figure out what item I can afford to replace and whats most important at this stage

TR all the way!!

Leaving run WW barbs in wake is the best thing ever!
Reply Quote
Don't neglect damage reduction on TR sets - i've been TRing mp7 KD2 + Arreat 2 for DE and experience lately - went through 3 paragon levels very quickly yesterday and collected a lot of DE.

I find that using STI, TGP and COR with circular breathing and inner storm for mp7 with 1 SR source is working the best at the moment.
Edited by Cayzer#6828 on 4/6/2013 6:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]