Diablo® III

Developer Journal: Multiplayer Improvements

MVP - Diablo III
View profile
New Developer Journal has been posted, this time with Multiplayer Improvements for 1.08

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/9382478

What do people think? I want to see these combat alerts, but over all it seems good. I'm not sure about the matchmaking tags, it's a nice thought but I don't know how well it will work.
Reply Quote
These alerts seem nice, except that they mention it's for goblins as well... only problem I see is that when you hit a goblin to send out the alert you might lose the goblin if your friends don't show up in time. so they really didn't provide a good solution for the "g" message, just the "e" one.
Reply Quote
It looks pretty good overall. However, I feel that they shouldn't lower the monster HP scaling % (or reduce it that much)
Reply Quote
Looking good overall, seems like another step forward for D3. The match making tags and archon buff has me really excited, it sounds like it might be time for an alternate gear set for my wiz. ID all will be a god send i have no idea why they didn't have this from day one, i mean we had it in diablo 2? lol i dunno.

there are alot of things here that sound like it will be a big improovement to fluid gameplay. archon, brawling tags here i come!
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III
View profile
04/02/2013 03:40 PMPosted by b4rm4ley
These alerts seem nice, except that they mention it's for goblins as well... only problem I see is that when you hit a goblin to send out the alert you might lose the goblin if your friends don't show up in time. so they really didn't provide a good solution for the "g" message, just the "e" one.

That's a good point, I see what they are trying to do(make it so it's automated and you don't have t o type), so I guess the only solution for goblins would be some kind of system that if a goblin is on your screen it sent the alert? Which I'm guessing is trickier to pull off.

hmm any idea's of an automated thing they could do? they are listening(believe it or not) so feedback is good.
Reply Quote
[quote="85206765645"]hmm any idea's of an automated thing they could do? they are listening(believe it or not) so feedback is good.

One quick thought is set a secondary alert radius for the goblin, just like the one that makes him run when you run by (without even hitting him), but with a larger radius (let's say 20 feet? 40 feet? they'll work it out) that causes the new minimap alert to go off, but not the goblin to start running.
Reply Quote
One quick thought is set a secondary alert radius for the goblin, just like the one that makes him run when you run by (without even hitting him), but with a larger radius (let's say 20 feet? 40 feet? they'll work it out) that causes the new minimap alert to go off, but not the goblin to start running.[/quote]

You can still do the normal stop before you get to the gob and type "g" and pop your banner, this will alert all in party that the gob is not alerted. I think the alert is for when you don't see the gob and you're in a pack of trash. It tells the rest of the team that something is going on and too look out for a "g'' or an "e".

But all in all this is a step in the right direction for most, but a lot of us are on TS3 and it is more efficient than just the alerts that D3 have come up with. In fact, I would say that it makes most of what I have read in the article obsolete. Some of it will be useful but for the most part, making alerts and lowering HP on mobs, don’t really do it for me. Ever since 1.0.7 I have been able to run MP7 solo and mp 8-10 in party due to the nerf in Dmg pack do, now they are going to nerf HP…soon it’s going to be too easy and not challenging any more. But, we can only speculate at this point, until the PTR comes out I can’t complain too much. I like where D3 is going and I like where it’s at now, but I don’t want to see it get easier than it already is. But we will see aye, again, I do like the way this is going so far, but I don’t want to lose interest because it’s too easy.
Reply Quote
Some of these changes lie somewhere in between "long overdue" and "it should have been there at launch".
Reply Quote
I dont think monster health being reduced in multiplayer is making the game easier. Atm, it just takes ages to kill monsters on high MP's if all members arent near 200k dps. Their damage output isnt being nerfed, just the health scale is being reduced a lil.

But i agree in not wanting the game to become too easy. I think instead of making more MP levels, they should increase monster damage. Doing COTA MP10 runs, the only thing that killed me was stacks of plagued. And im not anywhere near godly geared
Reply Quote
Community Manager
Like the idea of the Treasure Goblin radius ping, will pass it along to the team. Also if there is any feedback on the type of matchmaking tags let us know! :)
Reply Quote
04/02/2013 10:07 PMPosted by Arcagnion
Like the idea of the Treasure Goblin radius ping, will pass it along to the team. Also if there is any feedback on the type of matchmaking tags let us know! :)

+1

As for matchmaking tags, I would probably suggest some type of "farming" tag. I don't think this fits under questing, which for me refers to progressing through content or hunting achievements. It could clash with "keywarden" runs though. But I'm not sure that provides enough justification to expand the list of tags to refer to specific types of farming (e.g. loot, crafting materials, xp).
Reply Quote
hmm, I have to disagree with decreasing the monster HP to 50% / player. Im more a fan of higher difficulty more rewards. Now when you are playing solo its all about grinding as fast as possible. In my experience it doesnt go so fast when you are playing multi, even with similar DPS, but thats more than okay for as long as you earn more rewards, so my suggestion is, do not decrease, instead add a tad more XP. You have been making the game easier instead of more rewarding anyhow, so stop with the nerfs already. Also flat 10% GF and MF for each player? Wow, 30% is really something on medium to high MP levels...get real and crank it up to +25% / additional player.
Reply Quote
Live Solo = fast (depending on classes, eg. barb and dh run more xp/hour)
Live Group = fast (depending on group composition)

1.0.8 Solo = fast (see above)
1.0.8 Group = faster (not depending on composition anymore)

+30% on everything in a 4 player group makes it very interesting. Finding out new routes (now with mob density for a1, a2 and a4 = more possibilities), finding perfect match in group, etc..

They didn't make the game "easier", but group play more "playable" for a bigger mass of people who are actually the majority of players. So if it is about democracy and voices to be heard - I think the step into improving co-op is the best they could do to reach out to players who stopped because of the lack of playability with friends (and now even with other people).

Instead of tags I would suggest simply go with a Lobby (same visual appearance as in D2) and game names. It doesn't take much to put us into a lobby, design around it and stop the matchmaking -> increase of players.

Additionally, with a better overview about games and their content, people actually are motivated to join certain games, and not be disappointed because they are about to be put in a game with people who do completely random stuff and not really following the questline. This is frustration for every player.

If you want a working MATCHMAKING system, introduce lobby, give us freedom over our games and let US decide what WE want to do.
Reply Quote
the multiplying bonus XP is indeed interesting, but seriously 30% flat GF and MF will only be interesting for people playing under 400MF, which is safe to say you dont see very often above paragon LVL 33, but yea I would be eager to switch to group play for an extra 75%, cause its more than 10% over the absolute maximum (Im playing solo mp8 with max. MF now). 575 vs.605 not attractive at all, plus you gotta give the Paragon LVL 100 people a piece of the pie, and that IMHO would be good for one.
Reply Quote
Yeah like has been mentioned, not a fan of lowering the hp, i feel like it might get too easy for top tier players... however if they beef the damage while lowering the hp, that might be a cool trade off. I dunno it's a tricky subject, if it's a choice of kill them or they will one shot you or tank it out for a whle, i would have to go the tank it option, at least you get to play and know they can't just wipe you off the board with a single hit.

as for the tags idea - just let us write out own. A lobby would be nice as mentioned above as an option in addition to the instant random join a game thing we have now but that feels like too much of a dream lol.
Reply Quote
04/03/2013 05:17 AMPosted by Leech
They didn't make the game "easier", but group play more "playable" for a bigger mass of people who are actually the majority of players. So if it is about democracy and voices to be heard - I think the step into improving co-op is the best they could do to reach out to players who stopped because of the lack of playability with friends (and now even with other people).

I don’t see your logic mate. Trying to make a game more playable for people who don't play the game, doesn’t make any sense to me. Making the game better for the people who are currently playing would be more logical don't you think? Also, again guys this is just my opinion, so please don’t flame..lol But, I feel that a 10% in XP for every player isn’t something I would enjoy either, I tend to do XP runs solo just based off the sheer fact that I can do them more efficient by myself rather than with another player. Others tend to wonder off, go to town sell items, and chat with other friends while playing, so on and so forth. I really think that solo is the way to XP farm, but again this is my playing style; I like to get in to act 3 and do Alk. runs as fast as possible.

04/03/2013 05:17 AMPosted by Leech
+30% on everything in a 4 player group makes it very interesting. Finding out new routes (now with mob density for a1, a2 and a4 = more possibilities), finding perfect match in group, etc..

I must have missed the whole "Mob Density" thing in this articel, I will read again to see.

Don’t get me wrong, I love to play with friends, ask TSL I’m playing with at least 2-3 players every day. I’m not looking to get my XP up to paragon 100 as fast as I can, once I do that, what’s the point of playing? You’ve hit “end game.” That’s as far as you can progress. The thing I am looking forward to is the Itemization patch now that is something for the masses.
If we want to talk efficiency we can talk efficiency, but making monster HP lower by 20% isn’t going the way to do things. If you’re running solo and Invi 3 others in to your game the monsters HP lowers by 60% (From Live) that to me is just an easy way out of an on-going problem.
What should happen is the XP per monster should be scaled accordingly. Currently in 1.0.7 you can go to Act 3 Arreat Crater lvl2 and kill a trash scorpion and get about 27k XP on MP10. Now, most people playing MP10 can 1 shot those trash mobs no problem. Then if you go to Skelly King in Act1 and Kill SK you get something like 69k, now, does that make any sense to you guys? To me I think instead of trying to make less HP for multiplayer you should scale the XP of monsters accordingly and not just give a 10% bonus for each play who enters the game. Let’s stop creating “Band-Aids” and fix the problems.

Sorry if I sound a bit negative, but I just don’t see the point in all this multiplayer hoopla. Why reinvent the wheel here. I think for most playing D3, we’re happy with 1.0.7, although it’s not perfect, but I don’t see the benefit of creating all this stuff for multiplayer. Multiplayer is great already if use properly. But giving people all these buffs and lowering HP on mob while creating buffs that increase your MF and GF, it sounds like you guys are trying to buy our love and bribe us with fortune and fame……Ahhhh who am I kidding I can’t wait for the new patch!
Reply Quote
FYI trouble, scorpions are getting nerfed next patch. COTA runs on mp10 are quite good for exp. but boring as hell. Good if you only have 20 mins to play though. I can get in near 10 runs if the elite has easy affixes (no plagued)
Reply Quote
04/03/2013 05:59 PMPosted by WAZZ
FYI trouble, scorpions are getting nerfed next patch.

True! But its the same through out the game, even in stonefort act 3 all the goblins there are the same.
Reply Quote
04/03/2013 04:03 PMPosted by Troubleshoot
Sorry if I sound a bit negative, but I just don’t see the point in all this multiplayer hoopla. Why reinvent the wheel here. I think for most playing D3, we’re happy with 1.0.7, although it’s not perfect, but I don’t see the benefit of creating all this stuff for multiplayer. Multiplayer is great already if use properly. But giving people all these buffs and lowering HP on mob while creating buffs that increase your MF and GF, it sounds like you guys are trying to buy our love and bribe us with fortune and fame……Ahhhh who am I kidding I can’t wait for the new patch!

Surely you havent compared the grinding efficiency in solo vs multi. Even with players that match your DPS by +-10% it takes approximately 25-30% longer to complete the same route. And that is a lot for no benefit other than not having to grind alone. So no, I for one am not happy with 1.0.7.
The wheel does need to be reinvented, as the current one is a bit rectangular.
Also in my experience multiplayer is what keeps people going in the long term, but currently its so bad, I'd rather get bored out of my skull grinding alone.
Edited by yourgrandma#2407 on 4/4/2013 2:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Reducing the health of monsters, defeats the purpose of having Monster Power levels.

Some people have to accept that they cannot do MP10 efficiently.

MP10 is not meant to be easy, but if monsters health is nerfed, then MP10 will be even more of a joke than it already is now, and I am not even top tier in terms of DPS.

Blizzard should take all the MP difficulties and double them, with only top 0.0000001% of players able to do MP10.

I should then be able to run MP5 efficiently and survive with a lot of difficulty up to MP7-8 with MP7-8 feeling like Inferno did when the game came out.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]