Diablo® III

Main hand + stat stick on a budget

Hey guys, there is a lot of talk about DW on the forums but I haven't found any place that someone breaks it down for beginners.

A whirlwind, Hammer of the Ancients build

Question: 1. What am I looking for in a main hand.
2. What are reasonable stats Off hand.

Restrictions 80 mill budget.

I'm also looking for a good deal on some lucani with strength but that is outside the budget.

Edit: if there are good current guides a link for this noob and others would be appreciated. Thx
Edited by DoctaFizz#1688 on 4/2/2013 7:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I dont suggest prowlers with str on them its gonna be out of your budget most likely but ones with AR are not that expensive anymore. Just get as much crit as you can afford with 9% ias and as much AR as you can afford. As for weapons really cant help you too much seeing I dont play Hota build but for budget WW builds I look for a EF with increase attack speed and .24 or .25 offhand, with socket if you can afford it and if not without. For mainhand I look for highest damage range mace with socket and crit. These help me hit the 2.5 breakpoint leaving a open slot for a ring to use SOJ.
Reply Quote
Strength lacunis are now cheap, AR are still very expensive.

You do not want a stat stick for a WW/HotA hybrid because HoTA alternates hands. The stat stick is beneficial to 100% WW because most dmg comes from Nados which comes from your MH.

I'd say keep 100% WW until you can afford a good EF OH with a big MH.
Reply Quote
am I looking for an off hand that is close in dmg to my main hand? How much does this help?
Reply Quote

You do not want a stat stick for a WW/HotA hybrid because HoTA alternates hands. The stat stick is beneficial to 100% WW because most dmg comes from Nados which comes from your MH.

This is so true! I recently went from str Lacunis to AR and to my surprise my old ones are like not even half of what I paid... 7x str and 5.5 cc.
Reply Quote

HoTA alternates hands. The stat stick is beneficial to 100% WW because most dmg comes from Nados which comes from your MH.

OK big main hand I want ruby or emerald in? And when you say big we are talking 1300, crit chance+socket?
Reply Quote
D3rawr.com

Use it. WW runs off tDPS not the in game paper DPS. Load your profile and see whether the emerald or ruby will improve tDPS more. I'm at work and on my phone so I can't check your profile. I don't know your budget but I'd say;

1) Don't get a marq unless all your gear is equally budgeted.
2) Get a cold soj. 100%. Cold, high dmg vs elites priority, even if you buy an off class soj
3) Figure out attacks per second breakpoints. Read Phats thread on "sprint frequency" and just reference the 2.23/2.5/2.85/3.33 BPs.

Low budget- EF MH with statstick OH
Higher budget- Same as above or EF OH and high ave dmg MH. Doing this will be more expensive but will allow you to HotA.

Just my experience, I'm sure others will definitely have valuable input as well.
Reply Quote
If you want to run HOTA your OH dps matters.

Get a big damage mainhand mace/axe with sock and as much str/CD as possible. Search for average damage > 900.

Get an EF OH with <15% fear proc, >1000 dps, str and a socket.

To HOTA efficiently means you will be standing in plague/molten/desecrate a lot. This means you need much higher AR than a traditional WW build.
Reply Quote
Yes and no Miso. The advantage of having ww rltw and hota - whenever molten/plague land, you press WW and rltw and leave that spot. It's incredibly mobile yet still has a bit more dmg vs elites. Not sure anyone has a reliable hybrid guide so I can't research much and I don't know if it's even a good idea. It's a lot of fun mp8 but I am dieing more than I want to for various reasons and I've wasted more gold than I wanted to trying to figure out how I should play it.

Mostly I just think it's more fun for me than just ww.
Reply Quote

HoTA alternates hands. The stat stick is beneficial to 100% WW because most dmg comes from Nados which comes from your MH.

OK big main hand I want ruby or emerald in? And when you say big we are talking 1300, crit chance+socket?

Generally you need to get up to the radiant star or marq gems for Ruby to start being really effective. On a budget emerald will be better generally.

I only spent about 16 Mil on my current weapons + SOJ and my tDPS already almost surpassed the Skorn I was using (which was 100 mil+). Even as is with low damage OH, HotA is quite effective on MP9. Once I get some gold back I'm going to further upgrade the EF damage a bit and look for more stats on the main.

Generally the best use of your budget will probably look similar to what I'm using. You can either get a 600-1200 main (axe/mace usually for weapon master) with STR and a socket, or go around 500-1100 ish and maybe get LS or CD + socket. Offhand get an EF (.24 or .25 aps IF you can afford it) With STR, socket, and CD or LS (depending on which you need more of and don't have on the main hand).

Even if your offhand is a light on average damage to start, the WW/nado damage will be so much stronger and HotA attacks so fast you'll love it, even the the DPS isnt quite up to Skorn levels at first.
Edited by nEgativezEro#1390 on 4/3/2013 5:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]