Diablo® III

pvp monk high tier experts

ive been doing some brawling for a while.. and its my 1st time posting a thread. i just want to ask experienced high tier monks on what skills and gear they use to brawl.... and is anyone of you here successful dealing with a demon hunter with 500-600k dps and an hp of 100k+? would really love to hear your side...

PS: if you want to brawl 1 vs 1 feel free to add me.....im entertaining monks dh and barbs... dont have the gear for wd right now....
Edited by Chaos#6976 on 4/3/2013 3:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I play a lot of such dh before, if they take a storm shield I am so screw, if not with good dps, u can kill them 1 shotted using sss.

I had fight some 90+k life dh and my sss can one shot them, trick is to force them to ss, then when then reappear sss them. micro is the key, u must be able to use your burst damage while blind is on, and use your bell or sss to hit them.
I seen a monk use explosive light also, quite good idea, but I personally will use passive like fleet footed to run around fast.

basically player skill is very important, as a good dh can also kill u with one shot, with 500k dps.
if u not wearing s shield. so kiting and attack at the right time is essential. and dh diasapper most of the time, so your timing must be real good. I don't really like dashing strike, as a good dh, know where to stand, and your dashing strike, just don't work. sss with sudden assault is the best surprise attack move till now so far. having a mystic ally also is good, as he can scout for you where the dh is.
Edited by MINIKONG#6191 on 4/3/2013 3:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I play a lot of such dh before, if they take a storm shield I am so screw, if not with good dps, u can kill them 1 shotted using sss.

I had fight some 90+k dh and my sss can one shot them, trick is to force them to ss, then when then reappear sss them. micro is the key, u must be able to use your burst damage while blind is on, and use your bell or sss to hit them.
I seen a monk use explosive light also, quite good idea, but I personally will use passive like fleet footed to run around fast.

basically player skill is very important, as a good dh can also kill u with one shot, with 500k dps.
if u not wearing s shield. so kiting and attack at the right time is essential. and dh diasapper most of the time, so your timing must be real good. I don't really like dashing strike, as a good dh, know where to stand, and your dashing strike, just don't work. sss with sudden assault is the best surprise attack move till now so far. having a mystic ally also is good, as he can scout for you where the dh is.

wow 1st reply!! yes ive been using a dodge shield build monk and also using eternal ally against dh and base on my test in pvp some of the dh are having a hard time doing a 1 hit on me especially a dh that has 300k dps and below and also 2 of the dh i encountered that has 500k-600k dps so its kinda good knowing i can stay longer and yes ive been thinking of using my sss again or bell either one of them combined with exploding palm... and im wih you i dont like DS.... so yeah i can stay long in brawling with a dh especially those who disappear and run away always as long its not a nats legacy user... in terms of dps having a 90k dps is enough? especially for the sss?and thanks for the comment and advice^^
Edited by Chaos#6976 on 4/3/2013 3:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
depent on your strategy and playing style, I met pros use regen set also, so they can afford to miss the killing move. the problem with monk in pvp, is u must strike at the right time, and do it perfectly.
once you blind u got huge dps boost, and this is the chance to take them down.
we are like a sniper, once miss u are gone. actually fighting a dh theory is a like barb, boost our dps to the max, and 1 time burst damamge everything, like use wol.
if u miss the chance, well u are dead.

for monks I personally believe that, dps is the way to go, as we got the highest dps burst in the shortest time, and with high dps, your skill dps multiply a lot.

playing like regen is way way better for a barb, as with inspiring presence, it is not possible to take them down with below 300k dps, if they are good.

so it all boils down to how to exploit your class specacility in pvp, and try to minimizes your weakness. the reason I hate storm shield dh is, my burst damage some time don't work, as he can dodge and block my sss, I cannot one shot them
Edited by MINIKONG#6191 on 4/3/2013 3:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
depent on your strategy and playing style, I met pros use regen set also, so they can afford to miss the killing move. the problem with monk in pvp, is u must strike at the right time, and do it perfectly.
once you blind u got huge dps boost, and this is the chance to take them down.
we are like a sniper, once miss u are gone. actually fighting a dh theory is a like barb, boost our dps to the max, and 1 time burst damamge everything, like use wol.
if u miss the chance, well u are dead.

for monks I personally believe that, dps is the way to go, as we got the highest dps burst in the shortest time, and with high dps, your skill dps multiply a lot.

playing like regen is way way better for a barb, as with inspiring presence, it is not possible to take them down with below 300k dps, if they are good.

so it all boils down to how to exploit your class specacility in pvp, and try to minimizes your weakness. the reason I hate storm shield dh is, my burst damage some time don't work, as he can dodge and block my sss, I cannot one shot them

yes been seeing monks using regen build gonna try that next time...... alright thanks a lot i really appreciate the advice...

PS: waiting for other comments or post your links
Edited by Chaos#6976 on 4/3/2013 4:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Maybe kind of off-topic here,
but the big problem I have doing PvP is fighting a Barb using Rend...
It seems that Dodge, Resistances and Armor does not work against that...
Is there a way to overcome this?

cheers
Reply Quote
Maybe kind of off-topic here,
but the big problem I have doing PvP is fighting a Barb using Rend...
It seems that Dodge, Resistances and Armor does not work against that...
Is there a way to overcome this?

well were still talking about monks right? xD
yes! their is a way!!! pure high dps burst monk.... skorn weapon.... if his a type of barb that doesnt like to run away from a fight... use mantra of conviction.. WOL... SSS....... blinding light..... even him using ignore pain he will end up dead in an instant even he uses a shield... of course your need to cast serenity 1st then go an all out attack..... passive exalted soul chant of resonance and nead death experience....
Edited by Chaos#6976 on 4/3/2013 7:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
@Chaos, you've only got 465k EHP, that's kinda weak, dude! Get that up there and you can take more hits. You need more resists and armor, not just a gigantor health pool.

I've got more 670k ehp with only 42k hp. And that makes it WAY easier to get health back when I use a heal or potion. If my potion heals me for 20k hp that's really 316,000 EHP. If your potion heals you for 20,000 that's only 100 EHP. Yikes!
Edited by Amiar#1992 on 4/3/2013 7:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
@Chaos, you've only got 465 EHP, that's kinda weak, dude! Get that up there and you can take more hits. You need more resists and armor, not just a gigantor health pool.

I've got more EHP than you with only 42k hp. And that makes it WAY easier to get health back when I use a heal or potion. If my potion heals me for 20k hp that's really 316,000 EHP. If your potion heals you for 20,000 that's only 100 EHP. Yikes!

thank you for that Amiar!!!! will try to work on that and gonna do some more test....... will try to work it out having a decent ehp dps and others ^_^
Reply Quote
No problem man. I was doing a bunch of math about EHP today. Here is the highlight.

It should be noted that All resists, armor, and melee/ranged/elite reduction stats are the only stats that will increase your hp/ehp ratio, thus increasing the effectiveness of all forms of sustain(LOH, health globes, life steal, potions heals etc.). Vitality and %life will only raise both the hp and ehp pools equally while maintaining the same ratio. If you can get more resists and armor while maintaining, or increasing your EHP, this is recommended.

My ratio is about 1:15.8 (not counting melee/range/elite reduction) Your ratio is 1:4.98
Edited by Amiar#1992 on 4/3/2013 7:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
It just so happens I logged out in my pvp gear, enjoy :)
This setup will destroy 99% of dh's out there.
Against dh's all i change is I take out FoT for Dashing strike -quicksilver and replace exploding palm with Earth Ally (they hardly ever die, and eternal has an annoying 3sec cd on top of that. I think the 10% more hp from earth is much nicer)

Anyway for those interested in competitive pvp, take a look on www.d3cl.com where we try to balance rules for all classes and run leagues and sometimes tournaments.
Reply Quote
No problem man. I was doing a bunch of math about EHP today. Here is the highlight.

It should be noted that All resists, armor, and melee/ranged/elite reduction stats are the only stats that will increase your hp/ehp ratio, thus increasing the effectiveness of all forms of sustain(LOH, health globes, life steal, potions heals etc.). Vitality and %life will only raise both the hp and ehp pools equally while maintaining the same ratio. If you can get more resists and armor while maintaining, or increasing your EHP, this is recommended.

ow nice and try checking out this..... you can see my EHP there not sure if its right or updated though

http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/chaos-6976/Wrath/20915328
Reply Quote
t just so happens I logged out in my pvp gear, enjoy :)
This setup will destroy 99% of dh's out there.
Against dh's all i change is I take out FoT for Dashing strike -quicksilver and replace exploding palm with Earth Ally (they hardly ever die, and eternal has an annoying 3sec cd on top of that. I think the 10% more hp from earth is much nicer)

Anyway for those interested in competitive pvp, take a look on www.d3cl.com where we try to balance rules for all classes and run leagues and sometimes tournaments.

been using that too man... ive been using the ally and yes i beat a lot too dh but what do you use for primary? since you dont use FOT...
Reply Quote
that's the thing, you don't need a primary against dh, just spam DS, it'll 1-shot them once they stop dodging or main method of kill is just ds -> blind -> when blind ends, sss
Reply Quote
t
hat's the thing, you don't need a primary against dh, just spam DS, it'll 1-shot them once they stop dodging or main method of kill is just ds -> blind -> when blind ends, sss

interesting. is it ok if i ask you to show me some links about that DS build? please.... since it requires a lot of spirit regen i bet... i want to see the gears and skills for that build.. sss-ds-blind serenity what are the other 2? mantra of healing? passives? chant of resonance exalted soul and?
Edited by Chaos#6976 on 4/3/2013 8:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
the exact setup that's in my profile, with only 2 skills changed as previously mentioned. Fights against dh involve a lot of donwtime since they'll be keeping max range and you'll be hiding a lot too to wait for cooldowns. Just the spirit regen from helm and soj is enough for me, but if you want a bit more, you can use moh-circular breathing.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
I like that idea Witt, I will try DS as my DPS move next time I fight a DH! :D

Here are the specs I use for my various class duels:
Monk -
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#edYVgQ!VXb!bbcbaZ

Strat -
DS at them, Blind, EP.
If they do not Seren the EP, they die.
If they do seren the EP, EP them again.
Kite.

Possible changes -
If the monk I am fighting has SUPER HIGH dps pve gear, I will switch to Hard Target and Self Reflection or Searing Light depending.

Baba -
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#ecYTgk!Vdb!aZcbaa

Strat -
Baba's generally have a lot of life. To combat this, I use Overawe + Faith + Wall of Light to net kills.

I will equip my Skorn for this duel and use Tailwind to both catch up to the baba and run from him when I need to wait on CD's.

You need to have enough HP regen to tank all non-crit rends and then use Seren whenever rend crits.

SSS:Panda can be used to either bait the Iron-will (or w/e that skill is called) or saved until he uses it for an auto-win.

WD's -
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#edYTgh!VXb!bbcaYa

Strat -
DS in, blind->bell.
They will have to spirit walk out of the blind, bell their "fake" body which breaks spirit walk.

SSS immediately assuming their adds are dead.

DS > Bell > DS > Bell ... ect.

Eventually you will pop their spirit vessel and you will have to use Serenity.

If they run directly away when they spirit vessel, simply reset the fight get CD's back and do it again except they won't have spirit vessel.

If not, more DS and Bell until they die.

I always use 1h + shield for WD's.

DH's -
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#TdYVgQ!VXT!ababYZ

Strat -
Hide.
If they come to you with cloak on, blind them in cloak and EP them while they are invisible.
When they become visible, SSS.

If they do not come at you, you will need to wait for the right moment, DS at them then DS AGAIN to try and predict where they will tumble.
If you guess right, you can blind them as soon as they come out of tumble and Vanish.

This fight is extremely difficult because they have no incentive to come at you and, assuming they have good gear, they can spend >80% of the entire fight invisible.

Honestly I just need more practice here.

Mages -
No one plays mages in pvp.

Edit:
For anyone without VERY strong PvP gear, I can just use this spec:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#edYVgQ!VXT!bbabaZ
And I will win 99.9% of the time.

PvP gear is amazingly important in pvp .... who knew? ;)
Edited by Druin#1518 on 4/3/2013 10:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
thank you guys all of you ...1 last question...... having a 3+ spirit regen is good already? or do i need to make it 4.12+ or something?
Reply Quote
3 never works imo. 4 is only good against defensive dh's where you have 1 attack rush every 20sec or so, in all other scenarios i would advise 6+
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]